Football: winter break over

Iskaral Pust

I try not to moan about Refs but Mike Dean just gave Guendouzi a yellow for putting the ball down in an exaggerated way for a FK yet not giving the pompey player a yellow for a scissors tackle on torreira is...not great.

This referring performance & the everton/ United one have been so poor.

On 2/29/2020 at 9:45 PM, ljkeane said:

Matip's better than Lovren and Lovren didn't have a particularly good game but it was hardly the decisive factor in the game. All the rest of the defence were at least as responsible for a goal or two. On top of that we basically created one half decent chance (the Robertson shot) in the entire game. It was just a very poor performance and Watford deserved the win.

Haven't seen the match so I can't speak about who was at fault for those goals, but I remember reading Lovren's name on the team sheet and thinking: "There goes the clean sheet". Didn't expect a 3-0 defeat of course, but confidence in Liverpool's defensive performance was shaken, and I'm pretty certain other fans shared my feelings on that.

It is highly likely that if football fans are thinking that then something similar is in the back of Liverpool players' minds.

Liverpool's full backs have been defensively exposed on number of occasions throughout the season and it's one thing to have VVD and Gomez,  which is the best CBs pair in Premier League, there to cover for it or if you have Lovren to do it.

Let me repeat that I'm not saying that Lovren has done something wrong directly but it's the perception of his actions that can cause others to lack confidence in him which can reflect on the way they play the game.

Origi is crap full stop.

Poor play in general from Liverpool though. No TAA, so no quality. All Klopp has us doing is either pumping it long from defence or playing it to the fullbacks and hoping they create something. The problem with that is Robertson is probably the least technically-able player in the team. He can run all day, and he can whip a good ball in while on the move, but he's not especially good at hitting static balls and he often doesn't have the accuracy to thread the finer passes. Williams is just a kid, so I'll give him a pass, but he's not even close to TAA.

With these fullbacks we need to use our midfield more.

Archived