Sign in to follow this  
Iskaral Pust

Football: winter break over

25 minutes ago, Raja said:

:)

Didn't think it would happen!

ps refollow me on twitter (@craftyboxing) coz my old account got banninated.

Honestly I would have preferred one of the young guys taking that place, Lovren is shite and won't learn anything from that game one of the guys would have at least been able to use it as a learning experience. Plus playing beside vvd would do them the world of good.

Or Matip could have played. He's better than Lovren and it is more important to get him back up to match fitness. Van den Berg is not ready to make the step up yet. 

30 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Or Matip could have played. He's better than Lovren and it is more important to get him back up to match fitness. Van den Berg is not ready to make the step up yet. 

Matip's better than Lovren and Lovren didn't have a particularly good game but it was hardly the decisive factor in the game. All the rest of the defence were at least as responsible for a goal or two. On top of that we basically created one half decent chance (the Robertson shot) in the entire game. It was just a very poor performance and Watford deserved the win.

13 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Matip's better than Lovren and Lovren didn't have a particularly good game but it was hardly the decisive factor in the game. All the rest of the defence were at least as responsible for a goal or two. On top of that we basically created one half decent chance (the Robertson shot) in the entire game. It was just a very poor performance and Watford deserved the win.

Not disputing that Watford were the better side or that Lovren wasn't much worse than any of the other defenders. Just a response to Imanion's post. I don't agree that one of the kids should have played especially when Matip is back. He's been out injured since October and hasn't had a game yet (think he might have come on for a couple of minutes against West Ham) so it is much more important for the remainder of the season to give your 3rd choice CB some minutes under his belt to regain match sharpness rather than chucking in one of the kids (who aren't ready to make the step up yet) for one game. 

Edited by Consigliere

Mesut Özil suffers from racial discrimination inside the DFB. Thomas Müller says nothing.

Bayern agree a partnership with a human rights abusing petrostate. Thomas Müller says nothing.

Some Bayern fans put up a mildly offensive banner bruising a billionaire’s ego. Thomas Müller:

I just landed from a transatlantic flight to see that result.  It seems our post-break loss of form is now an entrenched tradition.  We could be out of the Cup and CL in the blink of an eye If we don’t make a big improvement.  The season is still a roaring success if we win the PL title, but it will feel a bit anti-climactic if we have nothing else to chase for the last 10 weeks.

Henderson, Milner, Gomez and Keita is a mini injury crisis, especially since Fabinho still looks far short of match sharpness after his own return. 

Honestly, never said a bad word about Deeney.

Everton v United should be tasty today

11 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Not disputing that Watford were the better side or that Lovren wasn't much worse than any of the other defenders. Just a response to Imanion's post. I don't agree that one of the kids should have played especially when Matip is back. He's been out injured since October and hasn't had a game yet (think he might have come on for a couple of minutes against West Ham) so it is much more important for the remainder of the season to give your 3rd choice CB some minutes under his belt to regain match sharpness rather than chucking in one of the kids (who aren't ready to make the step up yet) for one game. 

Yep, and I only mentioned the kids because Ancalgon explicitly asked what it would take to sell Lovren.

And one of the kids needing to be ready to take the next step is obviously part of the answer.

Because Gomez/Matip are obviously higher up in the pecking order and better footballers. I am still not sold that Gomez is the better player as of right now, but he certainly has a higher ceiling than Matip (I know, I know I have said that a few times, just worth repeating now and then).

Come on United, we know there's a mistake in your team somewhere. Don''t let me down.

This ref is strange

I don't get that "interfering with play" on Sigurdsson there. 

He doesn't touch the ball. It's not aimed at him. He gets out of the way. And de Gea has already taken a jump to the right and wouldn't get close to the ball in any circumstanse. 

So .. by not touching the ball, not being passed to and not tricking the goalie he's interfering?

Posted (edited)

Saved by VAR. Not sure how Sigurdsson can be deemed to be interfering in play there. He wasn't obstructing the keeper either and the deflection had taken De Gea out of the game anyway. 

Based on the balance of play, a draw is probably a fair result. We were the better side in the first half only to be undone by yet another De Gea fuck up which has become a regular occurrence. Everton outplayed us in the second half. 

On Serie A: Atalanta have to be among the most entertaining sides in Europe, if not the most entertaining - never a dull game with them involved. Lazio are also good to watch - most in form team in Europe's top leagues. 

ETA. Just another quick word on our game. Chris Kavanagh had an absolute shocker. One of the worst refereeing performances of the season. Kavanagh is a horrible communicator who hides behind cards. He should be demoted or whatever the hell the FA do with refs who produce such an embarrassing display. 

Edited by Consigliere

Yeah, draw is fair. 

And agree on Kavanaugh - at least today. He was terrible throughout.

Real Madrid take a narrow lead in La Liga as they win El Clasico with two lucky but deserved goals. Barca created themselves the better chances in 1st half but disappeared in 2nd. You can see the dip in quality in the finishing since Suarez's injury. Great performance from Madrid midfielders anyway.