US Politics - Turtles crawl, the constipation sensation that's gripping the nation.

Lykos

You know what I keep coming around to?  Though most of the damage has been done, for at least the next generation, I would vote for voidcrabs v. Trump in order to try to preserve what is left of a balance on the courts. At least I'm in some doubt as to what the voidcrabs will do.  

1 minute ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

You know what I keep coming around to?  Though most of the damage has been done, for at least the next generation, I would vote for voidcrabs v. Trump in order to try to preserve what is left of a balance on the courts. At least I'm in some doubt as to what the voidcrabs will do.  

BUT TRUMP IS JUST THE SAME AS VOIDCRABS 
*shakes and drools in the normal way*

3 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

HE IS A MEATSUIT FULL OF BAD VOIDCRABS.  I WILL VOTE FOR AN INDEPENDENT CRAB.  SLOGAN:   "IT CAN'T BE WORSE,  VIVE LA VOIDE."  OR SOMETHING.

I'd like to hear more about this voidcrab candidate.  Do you have a link to a newsletter or podcast I could check out?

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Hell, I just want the concept of the rule of law and equal justice to still be in effect.

I can't stand Sanders, I'll still crawl through broken glass to vote for him in November if he's the nominee.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Hell, I just want the concept of the rule of law and equal justice to still be in effect.

I can't stand Sanders, I'll still crawl through broken glass to vote for him in November if he's the nominee.

Vote Sanders!  Only the third worst candidate in the Democratic Field! 

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm not arguing Bloomberg's money doesn't help him; of course it does. My argument is that Bloomberg is filling a void in the nominee field that existed already, and I don't think he'd get any traction, regardless of how much money he spent, if that void didn't exist. And that's why I don't think he's potentially "buying" the Democratic electorate. Because I think the kinds of voters supporting him were already dissatisified with the field and were looking for an alternative. 

Also, it's weird, but the age thing hasn't hurt Bloomberg yet. I've seen political reporters recount conversations with voters who said they were going to vote for Bloomberg because Sanders and Biden are too old. Bloomberg is the same age, but for whatever reason that fact hasn't sunk in yet.

Maybe we're not that far apart but I'm more focused on the fact that I don't think Bloomberg could ever hope to fill the void in the field without his money, while you're more focused on the existence of the void itself. 

I'm not really convinced his money couldn't buy him traction in a different field, but I guess it's unknowable at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

HE IS A MEATSUIT FULL OF BAD VOIDCRABS.  I WILL VOTE FOR AN INDEPENDENT CRAB.  SLOGAN:   "IT CAN'T BE WORSE,  VIVE LA VOIDE."  OR SOMETHING.

In all seriousness, I am becoming more and more angry at people who claim Trump and Bloomberg are the same or would govern the same.

• No, Bloomberg is not going to be getting rid of the ACA.
  • No, Bloomberg is not going to attempt to kick people off of welfare or food stamps.
  • No, Bloomberg is not going to withdraw the US from the Paris agreement or believe that global warming is a hoax.
  • No, Bloomberg is not going to hire his family as senior advisors.
  • No, Bloomberg is not going to attempt to bribe another country into fabricating dirt on political opponents.
  • No, Bloomberg is not going to attempt to remove the ability to choose for women.
  • No, Bloomberg isn't going to lock kids up in cages indefinitely. 

There are a LOT of things to hate about Bloomberg, but any time you hear that he is just the same as Trump, that is almost certainly coming from a place of privilege because to that person, they are unaffected by those policies. 

Ooooh, Sanders campaign staff have come out with all guns blazing against Bloomberg, just calling him an out and out racist who basically shouldn’t be allowed to run for president.

I’d say they are running scared.

And I just saw a commentator point out that Trump’s war chest is about $300 M, but oh hell, he’d better raise a whole bunch more money because Bloomberg has already spent $380 M and there’s lots more where that came from. No wonder Trump is running from fund raiser to fund raiser, his last one for 40 people who gave a minimum of $500k each. If Trump wins re-election, I wonder how many will get cabinet posts and ambassadorships, right?

I was really hoping to have a non-boomer in office.  Oh well.  

Honestly, and more seriously, really wish Klomentum were really a thing.  

Apparently Klobuchar was pretty unprepared, and had to do things like drive her bus from New Hampshire to Nevada because they didn't have one, and use their Iowa caucus people because they didn't have any Nevada experts. 

35 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

Sanders' causes are indefinitely set back if we don't even bother trying until victory is certain. 

Victory need not be certain, but near certainty of failure should cause one to readjust one’s tactics.  

Like Sanders supporters have to know they’re tilting at windmills, right? There’s no chance his policies are going to pass. How will you feel when we reach that day? Will water downed proposals be good enough for you? Because my experience is that Sanders’ strongest supporters are absolutists.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Apparently Klobuchar was pretty unprepared, and had to do things like drive her bus from New Hampshire to Nevada because they didn't have one, and use their Iowa caucus people because they didn't have any Nevada experts. 

Yup.  Isn't a thing.  And I'm with you re Bloomberg.  I'm a pragmatist at this point.  Have vote, will pull D lever, pretty much.

Yup.  Isn't a thing.  And I'm with you re Bloomberg.  I'm a pragmatist at this point.  Have vote, will pull D lever, pretty much.

I think my biggest regret is that Warren didn't run more on the anti-corruption ticket. There isn't a lot that will turn people against authoritarians, but corruption is a big one, and Trump continues to have it in spades. 

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I was really hoping to have a non-boomer in office.  Oh well.  

Was talking with my mom about this last week - she just retired.  She was saying that as a boomer herself she'd like to see the younger generations take office and just didn't get it.  She also admitted that reflecting upon retirement, she just was not as good at her job anymore due to fatigue.  And I was like, "Ma, the ridiculous thing is that Biden/Sanders/Bloomberg technically aren't Boomers - they're ten years older than you!"  (Actually at least 11, I'm sure my mother would not want me charging her for that extra year.)

6 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Apparently Klobuchar was pretty unprepared

I mean, if by "unprepared" you mean was just simply running out of money before her NH bounce, sure.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Warren's not a democrat?  That's disappointing.  Enjoy the wilderness, it sounds like we're gonna be here for a while. 

Apparently the only democrat is a person who explicitly says they're not a democrat, so that's some fun times.

11 minutes ago, Muaddibs_Tapeworm said:

Ftfy

I’m confused. So are you saying that, even while Democrats are trying to convert independents and Republicans over to the Democrat side, they are forever Republicans and Independents, or something?

Because in 29 years as a congressman and senator, Sanders called himself an independent, and in 2015 he registered as an independent, not a Democrat. He has registered as a Democrat this time, but he’s still running for Senator in case he loses, and he’s registered as an independent.

Archived