US Politics - Turtles crawl, the constipation sensation that's gripping the nation.

Lykos

My guess is, that they are working under the assumption that if Biden indeed collapses (fails to win in SC), the need/want of a saviour on the middle lane becomes bigger, entry Jesus Bloomberg Supermayor.

Anyway, small request on my part.

Can we for the love of whatever deity you might believe in scratch the term klomemtum?

This word is such an abomination to my ears. It has nothign to do with Kobuchar.

Just the word Klo means toilette in German. So to my ears Klomentum is something I associate with a food poisoning, or a Trump reelection.

56 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Can we for the love of whatever deity you might believe in scratch the term klomemtum?

This word is such an abomination to my ears. It has nothign to do with Kobuchar.

Just the word Klo means toilette in German. So to my ears Klomentum is something I associate with a food poisoning, or a Trump reelection.

And no Klobucharge or Klobusurge either? I don't know how to talk about her now...Amomentum?

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anyway, small request on my part.

For the love of the Spaghetti Monster, thank you!

7 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

And no Klobucharge or Klobusurge either? I don't know how to talk about her now...Amomentum?

It’s Klobberin’ time!!!

I’ll see myself out….

I've been pounding a lot of chocolate before Lent and boy am I getting a lot of Klomentum.

In other news Politico published this article. Could higher turnout hep Trump?

Fascinating article.  Turns out that in battleground states there is a higher percentage of older white voters then the national average that either don't vote or are unregistered.  Counters some of Bernie Sanders strategy. It also highlights the potential appeal of someone like Bloomberg and his policies  Every time I hear someone on this board get outraged about stop and frisk.  I think about how many people I encounter every day in Michigan that would find that policy appealing. 

Not saying I support stop and frisk but not everyone is going to see if we a moral anathema.

1 minute ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Fascinating article.  Turns out that in battleground states there is a higher percentage of older white voters then the national average that either don't vote or are unregistered.  Counters some of Bernie Sanders strategy. It also highlights the potential appeal of someone like Bloomberg and policies  Every time I hear someone on this board get outraged  about Stop and Frisk.  I think about how many people I encounter every day in Michigan that would find that policy appealing. 

Agreed.  I think automatic voter registration, allowing postal voting etc and other voting side reforms Dems are pursuing are still a good idea.  This article, paradoxically,  helps refute the bogus charge that Mitch has lobbed around that HR1 is a  Democrat Politician Protection Act.

38 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

In other news Politico published this article. Could higher turnout hep Trump?

The article is irrelevant to the effort the Dems need to execute in order to beat Trump through GOTV.  The study is focusing on more "permanently" disengaged citizens:

Swing state non-voter sample: Consisted of an additional 8,015 persistent non-voters age 25 and over across 10 select swing states (approximately 800 people per state). The group was made up of a combination of those who are eligible but not registered to vote, as well as those who are registered to vote but participated in zero or one of the last six national (presidential and midterm) elections between November 2008 and November 2018.

Those citizens are not the ones the Dem nominee needs to turnout.  They need to turnout the people that DID vote for Obama in 2008 and 2012, but stayed home in 2016.  This group is fundamentally different than the perpetually disengaged.  What happens if the "permanently disengaged" group" turns out in substantial numbers?  Fuck if I know, and in that respect this is very useful and important data.  So, it's an interesting study, and I appreciate the link, but per usual, the media is misinterpreting the findings at a very basic level.

9 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Fair enough but if I start heading news about how Michigan has a record number registered voters, I am going to be a little concerned. 

I still don't see why those findings would worry anybody.  Even looking at "non-voters," the results suggest it would be a wash rather than a Dem advantage overall.  And in the figure the politico article put up, Trump does have a slight advantage v. Dem in certain swing states - AZ, FL, PA, maybe Virginia.  But not in Michigan, where it was 31-32.  Anyway, perpetual non-voters are unlikely to matter much in the context of the horse race.  Because they're perpetual non-voters.

4 hours ago, Muaddibs_Tapeworm said:

Very true. But the language of revolution is more potent as an organizing tool, and in my experience once people have that 'bug' they're much more likely to double down than get discouraged when met with obstacles.

They are also a lot more likely to alienate people. Regular folks don't like zealots, and Bernie's proposed strategy of bringing in new people is not reflected in the data. If anything, it's the moderates who are increasing their vote share, but they're still fractured. Tonight could shake that up.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Regular folks don't like zealots

Except when they do!  Those reg'lar folksies just lurve them some maga greatness. Just coz maga is also madly publicly corrupt, a rapist, and all the rest, doesn't mean he and his aren't also zealots. Zealots are bigoted and boy do these lurve them some maga bigotry too.

2 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Fair enough but if I start heading news about how Michigan has a record number registered voters, I am going to be a little concerned. 

You should be.

Edit: shit, I'm drunk enough to confuse states, but still, the bottom line remains that from what I know, Trump voters in those states (Michigan & Wisconsin) are not the "usual" Republican voters, and a record number of registered voters is bad news for the Dems.

Will go hide somewhere now (don't drunk post, people).

Archived