Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lykos

US Politics - Turtles crawl, the constipation sensation that's gripping the nation.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Stego said:

No rational, intelligent human being would ever want the job.

This is cynical, reductive, and true, true, true, true, true.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A doctor analyzes the medical health letters released by Sanders, and also Biden and Warren.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with this WaPo article, the media on this subject, Bernie and the Hispanic vote, no one seems to mention that one of the most powerful ORGANIZED Nevada voting blocks, is a UNION, the hospitality workers, who are, indeed, mostly of Spanish heritage in one way and another. Such voters and Sanders seem to be compatible indeed.  He's put in a great team of Latinx surrogate campaigners for himself too, with the assistance, of the Squad and AOC.  She's particularly effective in getting the crowds fired up, as I have seen in a variety of Youtube videos that recorded the events.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/19/sanders-campaign-is-counting-latinos-it-seems-be-working/

Of course, over the decades, the Dem Party Organizers have pretty much dumped the very idea of organized labor and unions, because, you know, these workers generally aren't white, and anyway, people who make beds don't even register on their radar r as existing, much less as performing meaningful labor. Sure didn't on Hillary's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DMC said:

My main worry about a backlash to a Sanders presidency can be summed up in the different styles between Obama 2008 and Sanders 2020 (and 2016).  Obama abided by the classic maxim of campaigning in poetry and governing in prose.  It's why even though a significant percentage of Democrats are at least disappointed by his administration's policy outcomes, he remains incredibly popular among Democrats.  And - important to note - the loudest complainers of Obama's presidency being too "centrist" tend to be avid Sanders supporters.  Anyway, Obama may have promised big "change we can believe in," but he was sure never to really specify what that change would be, so it's harder to get pissed off at him when he smacked into the ocean DC gridlock. 

In contrast Sanders is campaigning in prose.  He's promising specific policies - and moreover promising specific policies that would represent fundamental changes across a host of policy areas that are just frankly not realistic.  What happens in the incredible likelihood that a Sanders administration encounters the same institutional constraints and comes up almost entirely bare on these promises?  If Obama provoked the backlash he did from the right, what kind of backlash will there be to what will be painted as broad failures of the first "socialist" president?  How will all those supporters of his frustrated with Obama's "centrism" in governing react?  I don't like thinking about it and what it means longterm for the trajectory of American politics.

Governing by Executive Order fiat and ignoring the Senate and House to the maximum extent possible has been completely normalized.

I expect this to get worse no matter who is elected, because it will be what the supporters want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, argonak said:

Governing by Executive Order fiat and ignoring the Senate and House to the maximum extent possible has been completely normalized.

A president cannot achieve most of Sanders' agenda/platform via EOs or any other unilateral action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DMC said:

A president cannot achieve most of Sanders' agenda/platform via EOs or any other unilateral action.

Well first he has to pack the supreme court, or impeach trump's unqualified judges.  Which a lot of folks are clamoring for after the way Moscow Mitch has behaved.  Good for the goose good for the gander and all that.

If he does that, I'm envisioning an executive order directing medicare to permit sign up via any american citizen regardless of age.  By the time it wends its way through the court its so popular that the House and the Senate have to bow under pressure and put it through anyway.   If he needs money he can just declare a state of emergency with regards to the nation's health and take it from the military.

There's a lot smarter people than me out there, I think they can probably make it work, for a while anyway.  And like Obamacare, once people have it, they won't want to give it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Want doesn't get.

This really gets to the heart of it. Most people on the left want the same things generally speaking. How you achieve them is the problem to be solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, argonak said:

Well first he has to pack the supreme court, or impeach trump's unqualified judges.  Which a lot of folks are clamoring for after the way Moscow Mitch has behaved.  Good for the goose good for the gander and all that.

If he does that, I'm envisioning an executive order directing medicare to permit sign up via any american citizen regardless of age.  By the time it wends its way through the court its so popular that the House and the Senate have to bow under pressure and put it through anyway.   If he needs money he can just declare a state of emergency with regards to the nation's health and take it from the military.

You're envisioning a fantasy land.  Not only would Sanders never be able to do any of these processes - while I agree with packing the court it's going to be very difficult to enact; an EO you're envisioning would be stopped by the courts, even by Sanders' own nominees; such action would receive backlash from Dems in Congress, let alone the GOP; Trump's "state of emergency" allowed him to get a few billion for his wall, what you're talking about would be reorganizing the majority of the federal budget - he would never do it.  It's antithetical to his ideology.  And I may have many problems with Sanders, but I certainly believe his general expressed preferences are genuine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DMC said:

You're envisioning a fantasy land.  Not only would Sanders never be able to do any of these processes - while I agree with packing the court it's going to be very difficult to enact; an EO you're envisioning would be stopped by the courts, even by Sanders' own nominees; such action would receive backlash from Dems in Congress, let alone the GOP; Trump's "state of emergency" allowed him to get a few billion for his wall, what you're talking about would be reorganizing the majority of the federal budget - he would never do it.  It's antithetical to his ideology.  And I may have many problems with Sanders, but I certainly believe his general expressed preferences are genuine.

Assuming this hypothetical fantasy land could exist, how hard do you think the markets would crash? Could make 08 look like a walk in the park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Muaddibs_Tapeworm said:

How did we go from Yes We Can! to Won't Work, Never Happen, Don't Bother Trying

"Yes We Can" never entailed employing unilateral action to reorganize the nature of the federal government under a leftist dictatorship.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Assuming this hypothetical fantasy land could exist, how hard do you think the markets would crash?

I dunno, very hard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Muaddibs_Tapeworm said:

How did we go from Yes We Can! to Won't Work, Never Happen, Don't Bother Trying

Observable trends impart data which informs future events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zorral said:

As with this WaPo article, the media on this subject, Bernie and the Hispanic vote, no one seems to mention that one of the most powerful ORGANIZED Nevada voting blocks, is a UNION, the hospitality workers, who are, indeed, mostly of Spanish heritage in one way and another. Such voters and Sanders seem to be compatible indeed.  He's put in a great team of Latinx surrogate campaigners for himself too, with the assistance, of the Squad and AOC.  She's particularly effective in getting the crowds fired up, as I have seen in a variety of Youtube videos that recorded the events.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/19/sanders-campaign-is-counting-latinos-it-seems-be-working/

Of course, over the decades, the Dem Party Organizers have pretty much dumped the very idea of organized labor and unions, because, you know, these workers generally aren't white, and anyway, people who make beds don't even register on their radar r as existing, much less as performing meaningful labor. Sure didn't on Hillary's.

 

It goes back to the very beginning of Sanders' campaign, where the Latino people he engaged with were given authority, a budget, and actually wrote the policies affecting them that his campaign is producing.  As Chuck Rocha said, "We didn't only have a seat at the table, we ran the meeting!"  Looks like it was very effective.  They stole a march on all the other campaigns a year ago, and none of them ever noticed.

By the way, "Latinx" is just a white people thing.  I believe that community still uses "Latino".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It goes back to the very beginning of Sanders' campaign, where the Latino people he engaged with were given authority, a budget, and actually wrote the policies affecting them that his campaign is producing.  As Chuck Rocha said, "We didn't only have a seat at the table, we ran the meeting!"  Looks like it was very effective.  They stole a march on all the other campaigns a year ago, and none of them ever noticed.

By the way, "Latinx" is just a white people thing.  I believe that community still uses "Latino".

It's literally not a "white people" thing. It's a gender neutrality "thing."

Edited by Simon Steele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Your article doesn't do anything to help your generalizing case. Latinx, the pronoun they, etc., is not a white people thing. It's a move to understand that gender fluidity exists, and you should not presume gender. Latinx is popular on campuses, particularly in cultural studies, which are a diverse group of people who are often not white. It is in fact that non-white academics and students support this term that makes it legitimate, and it is not a misguided "white progressive" move to anglicize another language. It is a move progressive members of another culture ask to be used, especially in formal settings, to help stop people from misgendering those around them. This article does not account for the context of this term's rise, and USA Today is hardly the place I would go to seek out understanding of progressive momentum. 

Edited by Simon Steele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Mexican-Americans who use “latinx”. Personally, I am Latino, and consider the neologism rather ugly but to each their own; it’s no skin off my back. It’s certainly true that it is, specifically, almost entirely an American thing that is basically non-existent outside of the US and the internet anglosphere. Latin Americans outside of the US don’t use it, and most Latin Americans in the US also don’t use it. 

Edited by Ran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Simon Steele said:

It's literally not a "white people" thing.

It depends on the particular Puerto Rican, Mexican, Dominican, Cuban, Honduran, etc. with whom one is speaking.  A lot of the older friends and colleagues in my, often overlapping, circles, think LatinX is silly, unless they are academics -- but, you know, we had to prove to Anthropology professor-amiga/os there are quite a few Native Americans who think calling themselves First People - Persons is just silly too, and proudly call themselves "Indians," by putting them in touch with other anthropologists who happen to tribe members too. Mostly, among my acquaintance, anyway -- thus purely anecdotal, utterly unofficial -- the ones who do use LatinX consistently are LGBTQ students, of whatever their heritage.

Perhaps we may need to be concerned about this too:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I think it is very dependent on those we speak with. When I teach, at the beginning of a semester, I have students fill out info cards which include things like gender preferences, nicknames, etc. Overwhelmingly I am finding that Latino/a students ask me to use the term Latinx. For me, as a white male, to deny this because it's a "white people thing" seems really reductive and pretty condescending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×