Star Wars The Clone Wars & The Bad Batch [Spoilers]

Corvinus85

I rewatched most of it a couple of weeks ago as well, definitely excited for this. I hadn't realised they also finished the Bad Batch and Crystal Crisis on Utapau episodes were finished, I'd watched them in their half done state online.

Also quite excited to see another animated series being talked about online, it was touted as a "Rebels sequel" but the most solid information is that its

Spoiler

Ahsoka and Sabine

on their quest at the end of Rebels - so its continuing that story, but not necessarily actually "Rebels 2". That story is the one I'm most interested in seeing anyway, so very exciting to me, along with

Spoiler

Thrawn and Ezra in the Uncharted Regions or whatever theyre called.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I hadn't realised they also finished the Bad Batch and Crystal Crisis on Utapau episodes were finished, I'd watched them in their half done state online.

Does that mean there are only four genuinely new episodes?

3 hours ago, felice said:

Does that mean there are only four genuinely new episodes?

I've been wondering the same and can't seem to find a definite answer. Maybe I'm making an unwarranted assumption that the Utapau arc is being covered just because Bad Batch is, I haven't seen confirmation of that and the story arcs I've seen are "Ahsokas arc" [on Coruscant], Bad Batch and Siege of Mandalore.

I'd probably have picked Utapau, but Bad Batch does cover the Clones better. It's mainly one particular conversation between Anakin and OBW about Ahsoka that I'm thinking of from Utapau that I'd really want.

I'm not familiar with the partially completed arcs, but based on the main trailer, I'd say the season may potentially cross with RotS and go as far as Order 66, but shown from the POV of other characters, likely Ahsoka, but hopefully Rex and other clones, too. Maybe we'll see more of the attack on the Jedi Temple. It would be nice if we got a scene with young Caleb Dume escaping Order 66 thanks to his master.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'm not familiar with the partially completed arcs, but based on the main trailer, I'd say the season may potentially cross with RotS and go as far as Order 66, but shown from the POV of other characters, likely Ahsoka, but hopefully Rex and other clones, too. Maybe we'll see more of the attack on the Jedi Temple. It would be nice if we got a scene with young Caleb Dume escaping Order 66 thanks to his master.

We've actually had a pretty involved breakdown of what each of the arcs entail - Filoni described them all in detail when he thought they'd never be made. I'm not sure if you want to take it further than your speculation so I'll spoiler tag

Spoiler

The show will run up to Order 66 from Ahsoka's perspective - the Siege of Mandalore has Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mandalore with her to launch a Republic invasion, they get called away urgently to rescue the Chancellor who has been kidnapped. Anakin and Ahsoka get one last exchange and he reveals that he's leaving some of the 501st to continue with the invasion under Rex with her in command despite not being in the order anymore. They then leave and connect straight into the RotS open.

We then get her fighting Maul and a bunch of other stuff culminating in Order 66.

The Bad Batch episodes are a weird mix - theyre mostly new characters but do have Rex as the central character. As I saw elsewhere, Ahsoka's arc on Coruscant, the Bad Batch arc and then the Siege of Mandalore gives us 4 episodes on Ahsoka (one of the main characters per early design), 4 episodes on Rex (the other main character) and 4 of them together. I think the choices make sense from that perspective.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

We've actually had a pretty involved breakdown of what each of the arcs entail - Filoni described them all in detail when he thought they'd never be made. I'm not sure if you want to take it further than your speculation so I'll spoiler tag

Reveal hidden contents

The show will run up to Order 66 from Ahsoka's perspective - the Siege of Mandalore has Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mandalore with her to launch a Republic invasion, they get called away urgently to rescue the Chancellor who has been kidnapped. Anakin and Ahsoka get one last exchange and he reveals that he's leaving some of the 501st to continue with the invasion under Rex with her in command despite not being in the order anymore. They then leave and connect straight into the RotS open.

We then get her fighting Maul and a bunch of other stuff culminating in Order 66.

The Bad Batch episodes are a weird mix - theyre mostly new characters but do have Rex as the central character. As I saw elsewhere, Ahsoka's arc on Coruscant, the Bad Batch arc and then the Siege of Mandalore gives us 4 episodes on Ahsoka (one of the main characters per early design), 4 episodes on Rex (the other main character) and 4 of them together. I think the choices make sense from that perspective.

Thanks. Mostly what I expected, but do still hope they sneak a few extra things here and there. I wonder if Ahsoka is technically safe from Order 66. No clone attacked Anakin once the order was given, because he stopped being a Jedi and became a Sith. So if Ahsoka is not in the Jedi Order...

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Random aside: I just found out Vicky from the good place is the voice of Sabine and my mind is just blown.

Now you say it i can weirdly even see some resemblance. Talk about biased pattern recognition.

I think i might just leap into this season. I keep trying to watch the original series but whenever i encounter a "silly" episode i get derailed and there are a lot of silly episodes. I should probably find one of those "essential" lists.

The first episode was fun. The Bad Batch are enjoyable, and while I don't know where the arc will end, at this point I wish there was going to be more with them.

The visuals are impressive, and they're weren't shy about showing us what they can do with the new technology.

Not going to lie: After binge watching most of the series over the last month, I was disappointed they're rolling these out an episode at a time.

This from someone who usually likes the traditional weekly release schedule... 

As for the episode, it was ok. At this point, I'm more interested in connecting the show's characters/story arcs to Episode 3 (and seeing better character reasons leading to Anakin's radical switch) than meeting new characters.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:43 PM, Corvinus said:

Thanks. Mostly what I expected, but do still hope they sneak a few extra things here and there. I wonder if Ahsoka is technically safe from Order 66. No clone attacked Anakin once the order was given, because he stopped being a Jedi and became a Sith. So if Ahsoka is not in the Jedi Order...

Order 66 was covered as flash backs during the Ahsoka novel, running with spoiler tag again

Spoiler

Apparently the logic in the inhibitor chip is sufficiently complicated to still tag her for execution. It's like it tagged force wielders with an IFF and Palps gets to pick who is a friendly.

The episode certainly looked a lot better than it did when I watched it last lol. The bad batch do actually manage to be impressive. Rex's style is also so recognisable

• 4 weeks later...

So the Bad Batch did tie up an echo of a loose end from the main show, but did little to propel the story toward Episode 3 (except one scene with Anakin stepping more toward dark side tendencies). 

And while a good episode, this first for Ashoka's story felt like little more than filler. If these were part of the series proper, I'd have no complaints, but being delayed and then brought back for a Final Season, I guess I expected more story-wise.

6 hours ago, Myrddin said:

So the Bad Batch did tie up an echo of a loose end from the main show, but did little to propel the story toward Episode 3 (except one scene with Anakin stepping more toward dark side tendencies). 

And while a good episode, this first for Ashoka's story felt like little more than filler. If these were part of the series proper, I'd have no complaints, but being delayed and then brought back for a Final Season, I guess I expected more story-wise.

I'm pretty sure the Ahsoka stuff is going to be important from a character arc point of view, this is her trying to step away from it all and live a quieter life but it's not her which is why she gets drawn back in even when she's not a Jedi. Both in Mandalore and later the rebellion.

Ahsoka and Anakin are my two favorite characters from Clone Wars, so I'll gladly take whatever episodes I can get with one or both of them in it.

Can't wait to see Ahsoka in live action on the big screen (movie theaters), and I'm sure it will happen eventually.  She's an absolutely critical character in Star Wars canon (much more important than many other characters who are far more well known), so I think it's inevitable.

Regarding the most recent episode:  My understanding is that that was just the first episode of a 3 or 4 episode story arc for Ahsoka, so even though it may have felt like filler, I'm optimistic that the story will build in "meaningfulness" until we (hopefully) get a big payoff.

Gotta have patience, and see where this leads.

Visually the episode was great. The entire season so far has looked excellent. Yes, this episode was merely a setup. I feel it was needed to see where Ahsoka traveled after she left the Jedi, despite the length of this final season. I have faith that this arc will end with Ahsoka in the thick of important events.

hmm, maybe this Ahsoka arc isn't quite so important in the grand scheme, but I think we'll see how the Pykes get to take over the spice mines of Kessel. Maybe they'll have some help from Maul which leads Ahsoka to Maul and Mandalore.

I liked the scene when she and Anakin sense each other. A good throwback to Return of the Jedi.

Archived