Star Wars The Clone Wars & The Bad Batch [Spoilers]

Corvinus85

@RumHam

I'd have rather they kept Crosshair around as a dissenting voice for the first season and then done the betrayal

because he was a fascist fuck rather than brain chip stuff.

I was sooo hoping they'd go down that road. But that would have been too dark for a kid's show. The brain chip absolves him of all responsibility...

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

@RumHam

Hide contents

I was sooo hoping they'd go down that road. But that would have been too dark for a kid's show. The brain chip absolves him of all responsibility...

Spoiler

The chip could absolve him.  It's also possible they could have him decide he preferred the Empire without going full fascist, at least in outward appearance...

14 hours ago, Rippounet said:

So I dunno. It was a nice hour, but there's some way more exciting StarWars stuff headed our way, and I fear Bad Batch will be too kid-oriented to be gripping.

This statement has been made of all the other animated shows in their early run. I trust in Filoni.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

This statement has been made of all the other animated shows in their early run. I trust in Feloni.

I trust Feloni, but I've had a hard time getting into every one of his shows. The setup to greatness seems to take forever. Yes, he's introducing characters and laying groundwork, but it seems like he should be able to leapfrog some of the kiddie/silly elements. When I went back to rewatch Clone Wars (well, watch the whole thing, including whole seasons I never bothered watching), I still skimmed much of it. As in whole storyline arcs that were just boring. Same with Rebels. I tried watching the Resistance show. I made it to episode 4.

BUT when the story is on point, it's some of the best Star Wars moments ever, ranking with OT high points,. Especially in Rebels, which paid off some great moments that had been building since CW. Ashoka v Vader was amazing and tragic. Kenobi v Maul (final) was just perfect. 

I'm currently watching the combined edit of Revenge of the Sith with Clone Wars finale (and some Tartakovsky inserts for some reason... yes, it makes some narrative sense, but it'd be a cleaner edit without it)  right now. It's really well done how Ashoka's story intertwines with RotS.

I haven't watched Bad Batch yet, but will eventually. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

This statement has been made of all the other animated shows in their early run. I trust in Feloni.

I thought Feloni isn't running this show?

Guys, I'm pretty sure it's Filoni.

52 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I trust Filoni, but I've had a hard time getting into every one of his shows. The setup to greatness seems to take forever.

This, 100%. And unfortunately The Bad Batch feels headed the same way.

I could be wrong, and perhaps they expedite the current plotline rather than spending the entire first season on it, but I highly doubt it.

Also, it doesn't help that I don't like

the character of Saw Gerrera much, and I'm pretty sure he's going to be quite central in the first season at least.

8 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Guys, I'm pretty sure it's Filoni.

This, 100%. And unfortunately The Bad Batch feels headed the same way.

I could be wrong, and perhaps they expedite the current plotline rather than spending the entire first season on it, but I highly doubt it.

Also, it doesn't help that I don't like

Hide contents

the character of Saw Gerrera much, and I'm pretty sure he's going to be quite central in the first season at least.

I'm embarrassed, thanks for the correction. And I'm with you on Saw, but there should be plenty of opportunity for other characters. I hope we see a few more Jedi runaways.

7 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I'm currently watching the combined edit of Revenge of the Sith with Clone Wars finale (and some Tartakovsky inserts for some reason... yes, it makes some narrative sense, but it'd be a cleaner edit without it)  right now. It's really well done how Ashoka's story intertwines with RotS.

I watched it that way (but splicing it myself, not an edit) .. now I might have to do it again as the first scenes in Bad Batch overlap that whole period as well.

Spoiler

So is Filoni gradually working towards fleshing out the ST; the Kaminoans succeed in creating a force sensitive clone (Omega), the Emperor is either behind this or finds out that they used someone force sensitive, and so he tries to steal Grogu to do the same thing, and this leads to the Emperor clone in Rise of Skywalker? Could make for a nice through line for all Filoni’s stuff.

Good world building in the second episode, while the plot was much more low key and certainly more kid friendly. But I find Omega to be a likeable character for a child, so it makes the kid friendly parts easier to digest. 

I'm assuming that's about Saw? If you're going into this having only seen Rogue 1 and not the Oneron arc of TCW I can see how it would look that way, but his skin wasn't that dark in TCW - the change was casing Forest Whitaker as him. I'd rather shows and movies take the option to diversify the cast so it seems ok to me that they'd try to bridge the two looks and keep it at least somewhat consistent with the animated appearance which is a lot closer both in chronology and character arc to TCW than it is to R1.

Answered that question for myself, it's actually about the ways they've made clone squad 99 visually distinct from the regs resulting in making them much paler, and also for Omega. That's probably a fair piece of feedback to pass on and hope they take it on board - it's in part due to the harsh bright lighting most of the scenes are lit by.

I'm sure some take it further than "providing feedback" but that's true of everything and doesn't dismiss the core point.

I’m a bit fuzzy on the Clone Wars episodes that featured Cut, I know we saw Rex meet that family once ... are we supposed to assume the Bad Batch met them off screen? When would that have been, if he’s a deserter and they’ve only just deserted themselves?

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m a bit fuzzy on the Clone Wars episodes that featured Cut, I know we saw Rex meet that family once ... are we supposed to assume the Bad Batch met them off screen? When would that have been, if he’s a deserter and they’ve only just deserted themselves?

I guess so. By their familiarity we can infer they've spent more time with Cut than Rex did. They probably did at least one mission on that planet, since I'm pretty sure there were some battles fought there.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I guess so. By their familiarity we can infer they've spent more time with Cut than Rex did. They probably did at least one mission on that planet, since I'm pretty sure there were some battles fought there.

...and presumably on those missions, gone through a similar arc to that of Rex and deciding not to report the deserter? I mean I can buy it, but it doesn’t quite hang together. The whole ‘breaking with following orders’ theme of the first episode is slightly undercut if they already had a history of doing it.

16 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

...and presumably on those missions, gone through a similar arc to that of Rex and deciding not to report the deserter? I mean I can buy it, but it doesn’t quite hang together. The whole ‘breaking with following orders’ theme of the first episode is slightly undercut if they already had a history of doing it.

What do you mean? In the first episode they keep mentioning how they have a history of not following orders, and are taken aback by Crosshair's recitation of that line.

58 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

What do you mean? In the first episode they keep mentioning how they have a history of not following orders, and are taken aback by Crosshair's recitation of that line.

Yea I guess, I was thinking more of how they seemed proud they’d never failed a mission. Just could’ve used some exposition about what the circumstances were and why they didn’t report him. As I said, we’re left picturing that they all had the exact same experience Rex did; met him, debated reporting, came around on it, left him be.

I've got to watch the second episode, but why would they go to another clone at all? Seems weird. Was Cut one of the ones who ended up

With Rex on that walker-thing on Rebels?

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I've got to watch the second episode, but why would they go to another clone at all? Seems weird. Was Cut one of the ones who ended up

Hide contents

With Rex on that walker-thing on Rebels?

No, Cut is the one who deserted during the war, married a Twi'lek and settled down to live as a farmer.

Archived