Star Wars The Clone Wars & The Bad Batch [Spoilers]

Corvinus85

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

No, Cut is the one who deserted during the war, married a Twi'lek and settled down to live as a farmer.

So...does that mean Cut's chip didn't activate for Order 66 since he wasn't near a Jedi...?

54 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So...does that mean Cut's chip didn't activate for Order 66 since he wasn't near a Jedi...?

He never got the video call from palpatine, I'd guess. 

Am I the only one worried this show might turn into a sort of Mando clone with the Bad Batch having to raise Omega. I trust Dave Filoni and his amazing writing, but I'm already starting to see similarities.

42 minutes ago, sifth said:

Am I the only one worried this show might turn into a sort of Mando clone with the Bad Batch having to raise Omega. I trust Dave Filoni and his amazing writing, but I'm already starting to see similarities.

Absolutely not. They are clearly banking on what makes The Mandalorian popular: Western atmosphere, the heroes going from place to place doing jobs (with Mando's bounty hunting having long turned into mercenary work in his show), a kid character that needs protection, Clone Wars cameos...

I'm curious to see whether they succeed in making the lawless fringes of the Empire different enough to the lawless fringes of the New Republic to justify this show's existence. But then again, I never cared much about this show at all after their rather boring Clone Wars introduction.

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to enjoy this show. The world building is solid.

In this latest episode

Spoiler

Who would have thought that one day we were sort of going to get an origin story for the rancor Luke has to fight and kill in Jabba's palace. Only Dave Filoni.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I continue to enjoy this show. The world building is solid.

In this latest episode

Hide contents

Who would have thought that one day we were sort of going to get an origin story for the rancor Luke has to fight and kill in Jabba's palace. Only Dave Filoni.

There already was an origin story of sorts for that.  Disney just eliminated it. 

Tales of Mos Eisley. Tales of Jabba's Palace. Tales of Bounty Hunters. Tales of Ewok Culinary Arts (aka where they found a dress to fit Leia...) 

• 2 weeks later...

Binged the first six episodes yesterday. I think I'm engaged just enough to continue. Am I the only one who's a bit disappointed by this series so far?

After the way The Clone Wars ended and the overall quality of Rebels, the first five episodes of Bad Batch fell a bit short for me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Episode six was an improvement. The surprising cameos worked well.

36 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Binged the first six episodes yesterday. I think I'm engaged just enough to continue. Am I the only one who's a bit disappointed by this series so far?

After the way The Clone Wars ended and the overall quality of Rebels, the first five episodes of Bad Batch fell a bit short for me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Episode six was an improvement. The surprising cameos worked well.

It feels like the quality’s on par with Clone Wars, except Clone Wars could mix it up whenever they feel like it, having light hearted droid stories or brutal war stories and everything in between, about whichever characters they felt like. At the moment, Bad Batch doesn’t have that variability and it feels a little formulaic right now. I’m hoping they gradually broaden the story and the characters, although story wise, I’m not sure where they can really go given what we know. 

I still enjoy it, but I’m not gasping to see the next one and I’m not gripped when I do.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm enjoying it more than I anticipated, but I went in with low expectations; I didn't find the Batch very interesting in their Clone Wars appearance.

This is always the way every filoni sw series goes. Including mandalorian. The highs are great but there is often a lot of filler and a number of the other highs are because of guest stars from another series. 

It'll wrap up and probably be cool at the end with cool tiebacks to ahsoka and han and fett and a couple wookies along with some rebels characters, and it'll otherwise kind of be just there. 

18 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It feels like the quality’s on par with Clone Wars, except Clone Wars could mix it up whenever they feel like it, having light hearted droid stories or brutal war stories and everything in between, about whichever characters they felt like. At the moment, Bad Batch doesn’t have that variability and it feels a little formulaic right now. I’m hoping they gradually broaden the story and the characters, although story wise, I’m not sure where they can really go given what we know. 

I still enjoy it, but I’m not gasping to see the next one and I’m not gripped when I do.

This is probably a part of it. I also think some of those early episodes aren't particularly well directed. Although, with new series it sometimes happens that things are a bit stiff until they find their groove, so I'm optimistic. 

I'm enjoying it. I think it has good world building. I like seeing the immediate aftermath of the end of the war and the tidbits about how the Empire is spreading its influence. The Kamino plot is interesting, but yes we need more of that + Crosshair and his murder squad. But the season is 16 episodes, so they don't need to rush the story. Omega is very likable for a child character, and I'm convinced Filoni loves the actress's accent because of so many quirky lines. The deal with Wrecker's chip has been dragging now, but hopefully it will blow up next 1-2 episodes.

The episodes are reminding me of Mandalorian: Overarching story involving adopted child, but episode driven by mission of the week. 

It's like the mystery box procedurals from the 2010 like Fringe or XFiles or Alias or something where it's "case of the week" based while building a series mythology.

ETA: I started looking at the voice talent for the show. I'm dense. I just realized who the padawan from episode 1 was... If it was mentioned in this thread, I completely skimmed over it.

And Rhea Pearlman is Cid? Awesome.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm convinced Filoni loves the actress's accent because of so many quirky lines. 

It’s nice for consistency that they gave her a New Zealand accent, but it’s certainly a lot stronger then either Dee Bradley Baker or Temuera Morrison

I'm pretty sure Clone Wars invented those laser bows but they're still ridiculous. :laugh: "build up strength in your noodle arms!" or you know, get a blaster like a normal person. 

13 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm pretty sure Clone Wars invented those laser bows but they're still ridiculous. :laugh: "build up strength in your noodle arms!" or you know, get a blaster like a normal person. 

It's all part of her Jedi training. ;)

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

It's all part of her Jedi training. ;)

I still hope they're not going that way. I think any cloning to create force sensitive people would be done at Sidious's request. Because it's a bounty hunter and not the empire after her I suspect she's some secret side project relating to the fact that they were out of Jango. 

Archived