Star Wars The Clone Wars & The Bad Batch [Spoilers]

Corvinus85

20 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I still hope they're not going that way. I think any cloning to create force sensitive people would be done at Sidious's request. Because it's a bounty hunter and not the empire after her I suspect she's some secret side project relating to the fact that they were out of Jango. 

Definitely a secret project, but I think they combined Jango's DNA with a Jedi's. Their likely reasoning is that they thought they could produce a superior clone, and be able to charge more for them. 

Damn, the visuals in this show are great. 

Good stuff with Wrecker.

I guess we got our answer about the mysterious person that the Martez sisters contacted, but I do wonder about him.

Spoiler

Rex was not interested in war when the Rebels characters find him with Gregor and Wolf. But here he seems intent on fighting against the Empire. I doubt Filoni would have forgotten, so something must happen to Rex to cause him to temporarily give up.

Probably my favourite episode since the opener.  Not for the action, but the interaction with the new contact.

Spoiler

Rex seems to still carry the air of sadness and loss from when we last saw him. Loved his reveal from beneath the cowl and then the exit into the mist. The old soldier seems imbued with the air of the Jedi in this light. Which makes me wonder what happens between now and the Rex we first meet in Rebels?  

Also digging hearing Omega speak. Michelle Ang gives her the quintessential Kiwi accent for an adolescent girl that I grew up hearing. Didn't expect that nostalgia.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ranivaka said:

Looks like it'll be fun. Though I notice the bloody Holdo Maneuver, the "one-in-a-million" shot, appears yet again...

I'm not sure these will be part of the main canon. Feels like that MCU "What If" show. So Holdo maneuver might just be a reiteration. 

20 hours ago, Ranivaka said:

Looks like it'll be fun. Though I notice the bloody Holdo Maneuver, the "one-in-a-million" shot, appears yet again...

Oh my god, it is!

Got caught up with The Bad Batch once again. I'm still not sure how to feel about it. It's getting better but it's still doing barely enough to keep my interest.

Spoiler

The Cad Bane cameo was nice.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Interesting to have an episode with almost no Bad Batch and Omega, but great to see more about the Empire's expansion. And of course, nice to see a young Hera and Chopper. 

We had Kanan in ep 1, now Hera and Chopper - when’s the Zeb episode going to be?

10 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Am I going crazy - I don't remember the Twileks being that French.

The one in ROTJ wasn't at all.  Aayla Secura was the first one to have a frenchish accent that I'm aware of.  Clone wars and then Rebels seem to have stuck with it.

So, does anyone think the batch is going to try and rescue Hunter at some point?  They don't seem to have really talked about how Hunter is being controlled by a chip.  

2 minutes ago, argonak said:

The one in ROTJ wasn't at all.  Aayla Secura was the first one to have a frenchish accent that I'm aware of.  Clone wars and then Rebels seem to have stuck with it.

It's not that - I've seen Clone Wars and Rebels and I have no recollection of Cham or the Twilek senator having French accents at all.

1 minute ago, argonak said:

So, does anyone think the batch is going to try and rescue Hunter at some point?  They don't seem to have really talked about how Hunter is being controlled by a chip.  

You mean Crosshair with the chip - Hunter's the squad leader. I reckon they'll try to rescue him, but Season 1's too early for them to succeed. They need to foreshadow a bigger bad before getting Crosshair back.

9 minutes ago, Denvek said:

It's not that - I've seen Clone Wars and Rebels and I have no recollection of Cham or the Twilek senator having French accents at all.

You mean Crosshair with the chip - Hunter's the squad leader. I reckon they'll try to rescue him, but Season 1's too early for them to succeed. They need to foreshadow a bigger bad before getting Crosshair back.

Oh right, sorry.  Yes I mean Crosshair.  

I forgot about the corrupt fat twi'lek senator.  Maybe the french accent is just regional to some part of ryloth.

Do we know how many seasons Bad Batch is likely to get?

1 hour ago, Denvek said:

Cham and the Twi'leks who fought in the Clone Wars definitely had French accents. Hera doesn't have a French accent in Rebels, but she has one, not thick, here. Maybe we'll learn why she loses it.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Interesting to have an episode with almost no Bad Batch and Omega, but great to see more about the Empire's expansion. And of course, nice to see a young Hera and Chopper. 

I thought I was highly effective as an episode. If you're telling the story of how the Empire rose and the Rebellion came to be, you can't have just the Batch in the forefront all the time. 

On 7/9/2021 at 11:55 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Cham and the Twi'leks who fought in the Clone Wars definitely had French accents. Hera doesn't have a French accent in Rebels, but she has one, not thick, here. Maybe we'll learn why she loses it.

Hera's accent is more pronounced when she gets angry.

https://www.starwars.com/news/much-to-learn-you-still-have-7-things-you-might-not-know-about-twileks

The language is aptly named “Twileki,” and you’ve heard it spoken before if you remember Obi-Wan’s adorable interaction with little Numa in The Clone Wars, and her sprightly declarations of “nerra” or “brother” to her clone rescuers. When outside Ryloth, most Twi’leks speak Basic, but when they can’t shed their accent as well as Hera Syndulla, they sound similar to what we interpret as a French accent. Though, if most Twi’leks are anything like Hera, slipping back into their native accent is common, as Vanessa Marshall explains here. According to The Clone Wars executive producer Dave Filoni, the French-inspired accent was specifically requested by George Lucas when a voice was given to Twi’lek Jedi Aayla Secura.

https://www.starwars.com/news/talking-twilek-star-wars-rebels-vanessa-marshall-on-hera-syndullas-eventful-season-two

StarWars.com: I have to ask this, because on our social channels we saw so many comments about the French accent and there were a lot of people who were surprised and trying to figure out why the accent came out. Was this your first time with the French accent or have you done it before? Was it an organic thing that you decided to put in or was it Dave’s decision?

Vanessa Marshall: Well, first of all, I’m fluent in French. So that was not a problem. And I’ve been doing French accents for video games and different cartoons over the years, so that wasn’t necessarily a stretch, but prior to even seeing the script, I got a random email from Dave Filoni saying, “If Hera went back to Ryloth, do you think she would speak in the local [tongue]?” And I said, “Only if she’s angry.”

StarWars.com: Yeah, that makes sense!

Vanessa Marshall: And so when I got the script, I wondered, “Gosh, where would that go?” And it seemed to me, in that area where Cham’s pressing Hera’s buttons, triggering her childhood issues, this is perhaps what Hera’s childhood sounded like! So I think she reacts from a very authentic place and slips back into it, much like I have Jamaican friends who go right into Patois when they argue with family members, even though they’ve just been speaking American English. They easily go back and forth, and it doesn’t phase them at all.

I think I said to Dave, “Should we do that there?” And I can’t remember if he put that in the script exactly, but I remember we recorded it with and without. And they were going to see whether it worked or not, and so we were kind of playing with it on the day. I wasn’t sure if she was supposed to stay in that accent for the remainder, but the final scene I didn’t do with the accent. So yeah, I was learning with everyone else who was watching the episode [Laughs] as to what was chosen. As a matter of fact, they might have cobbled the two takes together for the one place where she does go into the French accent, and then says, “Yeah, I’ve noticed,” without the accent, that may have been from a different take.

I'd completely forgotten about the Twi'leks' French accents, and I don't think I ever imagined that this was 100% deliberate and thought-out by Lucas and Filoni.

Now I'm wondering whether Twi'leks eat frogs.

31 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Hera's accent is more pronounced when she gets angry.

I'd completely forgotten about the Twi'leks' French accents, and I don't think I ever imagined that this was 100% deliberate and thought-out by Lucas and Filoni.

Now I'm wondering whether Twi'leks eat frogs.

Since quite of bit of Star Wars draws inspiration from World War II, didn't Lucas and Filoni use the French Partisans as inspiration for the Twi'leks, hence the French accent?

Archived