Star Trek Thread: Set Picard to Stun (spoilers)

Werthead

I'm sure some of you would consider it "not real star trek" but the Short Trek "The Trouble with Edward" is my new favorite thing.

edit: to be clear the tone is really uuuh, un star trek. but it's still great. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I'm sure some of you would consider it "not real star trek" but the Short Trek "The Trouble with Edward" is my new favorite thing.

edit: to be clear the tone is really uuuh, un star trek. but it's still great. 

That's the one with the Tribbles, right?

11 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

That's the one with the Tribbles, right?

Yup. and H Jon Benjamin who voices the titular characters on Archer and Bob's Burgers. 

Edit: also I really liked Children of Mars. but I dunno I could have done without the Bowie. Using current music like that feels very un trek and I realize that's at least slightly hypocritical. 

14 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

TOS episode Space Seed immediately followed by The Wrath of Khan.

With a name like tapeworm i think there will be some elements of wrath of khan they will enjoy from a parasite perspective.

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

Well they are a research ship experimenting at the edge of biology where the line between physics and biology blurs, it stands to reason the scientists would be proficient in the relevant areas.

This could well be part of why they chose the story they're telling in S1 - if it's a story that interests PatStew, and it certainly seems that it is, he may have pushed for it to be the late redemption after an earlier failure.

I'm really hoping we're going to get this now. The focus on the characters before they went through the wormhole felt like a "thats the end of this extended prologue, these characters will be the main focus from now". Hopefully.

@Werthead

There would be a great meta story going on if picard after 15 years of doing nothing about his grestest failure finally gets off his ass and finds redemption returning starfleet to its former idealistic glory. Stewart was left in the trek wilderness (he's obviously been busy/successful elsewhere like Picard's vineyard) after doing a film he thought the fans wanted and ended up killing a franchise (Hollywood/starfleet meddling). Now stewart is back with a trek show that is proving to be very successful and already has a second season. 

As for Discovery some of the standouts for season 2 were the ones highlighting the cyborg and the more Jett Reno the better. It'd be great for the show and the actors who haveso far played regular extras to have more to do. There's more than 4 characters to play with in the show. Hopefully it's not just a case of adding new characters from the future into the mix.

19 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

ST:TMP was good science fiction but weak Star Trek.

The Motion Picture is 100% unfiltered, undiluted pure Roddenberry. It was his vision for Trek should be, and TNG (at least the first two seasons, before Roddenberry was sidelined) draws very heavily on its influence.

Whether it was what Star Trek should be is another question, but if Roddenberry had had his way, all of Star Trek would have looked like TMP.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

Current music is to Trek era as classical music is to the present. So it better be good music at least.

I should have been more clear, it wasn't just the choice of music that felt out of place, it was the fact that it played over a montage instead of playing in a scene from an in-universe source. 

On 2/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Crazy show prediction also: despite Discovery already doing it, Picard season 1 ends with either the Entetprise E, or F, showing up to arrest Picard and team under Captain, I want it to be Worf, but it'll be some established character...

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-enterprise-captain-after-picard-worf-tng-not-riker/

So he did command the E at least for a while and could still be. Which is sorta bullshit cause A) he left starfleet to become the Klingon ambassador to the Federation (which, ok Nemesis already retconned) and B ) he was told it was very unlikely he'd ever get a command after an action he took in the Dominion war. But then they gave him the flagship apparently. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-enterprise-captain-after-picard-worf-tng-not-riker/

So he did command the E at least for a while and could still be. Which is sorta bullshit cause A) he left starfleet to become the Klingon ambassador to the Federation (which, ok Nemesis already retconned) and B ) he was told it was very unlikely he'd ever get a command after an action he took in the Dominion war. But then they gave him the flagship apparently. 

Wasn't Worf the captain of the Defiant, whenever Sisko wasn't around? I was always under the impression that Sisko was the captain of the station, while Worf was captain of the Defiant, however whenever Sisko was on the ship he out ranked Worf and therefore was in command.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

The Dominion war culled his peers pretty considerably. 

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

Wasn't Worf the captain of the Defiant, whenever Sisko wasn't around? I was always under the impression that Sisko was the captain of the station, while Worf was captain of the Defiant, however whenever Sisko was on the ship he out ranked Worf and therefore was in command.

Worf commanded Defiant in Sisko’s absence (which Kira, non-Starfleet, also did), but Sisko was the captain. I think Sisko’s comment meant Worf was unlikely to get an official command.

But then, in TNG Worf also got away with killing Duras, and later killed the Klingon leader with scant consequences 

30 minutes ago, RumHam said:

This episode featured maybe my favorite Star Trek invention ever. a flashlight but like...three flashlights. 

Hide contents

It was a really nice surprise to see Hugh's reaction to Picard be so positive. 

It was the first positive thing we got from this show. No stupid swearing and almost no pointless violence.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

This episode featured maybe my favorite Star Trek invention ever. a flashlight but like...three flashlights. 

Reveal hidden contents

It was a really nice surprise to see Hugh's reaction to Picard be so positive. 

There are four flashlights!

I enjoyed the episode. Plenty happening and forward momentum. Some comments and small nitpicks

i liked the callback to the "stargate" tech/civilization from S1/2 of TNG. Always surprised there wasn't more on that civilization (although maybe they are mentioned again aa i do my rewatch) particularly given their presence as "hellfire" legends throughout the galaxy. 

Not sure why eloren couldn't walk through the stargate too? Is there a person limit or was it just forced so he could be heroically captured?

Also, my inner scientist would have definitely tested the "age recorder" machine on something that wasn't mine after the third "37 months" answer. The machine being broken is more likely than your entire life being artificial.

Rios is growing on me as a character and the romulan spy is getting better now he's busy doing the betrayal.

Interesting how the romulans are looking for a homeworld. Of synths or as a tech rich place they can make their new homeworld?

Archived