Star Trek Thread: Set Picard to Stun (spoilers)

Werthead

On 3/28/2020 at 2:30 AM, red snow said:

Thought I'd make my specific thoughts on the episode separate otherwise it becomes a very long post about lots of different things.

The final episode was a big let down for me with lots of logic-breaking elements introduced and very major threads left unresolved...

Very well thought out post, and I did read it all. However, I can sum up the Picard S1 finale much more succinctly: it was a shit show.

Rich Evans from Red Letter Media is near the breaking point, and I think this finale might push him over the edge. Looking forward to the RLM review and inevitable mental breakdowns.

26 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Very well thought out post, and I did read it all. However, I can sum up the Picard S1 finale much more succinctly: it was a shit show.

Rich Evans from Red Letter Media is near the breaking point, and I think this finale might push him over the edge. Looking forward to the RLM review and inevitable mental breakdowns.

That would be the abstract to my original post :)

i might check the RLM review. Frustrated rants can be entertaining.

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Technically he already has one. It's a Talking Dead style show called The Ready Room hosted by Will Wheaton. But I definitely think they should take a cue from @SpaceChampion and re-name it Shut up, Wesley!

The problem is that Wil Wheaton has become tooo much of a name within nerddom in the last few decades, so I can actually see them banking on that, even with the whibbly whobbly canon status of Wesley, what with him somehow wearing a Starfleet uniform again in Nemesis despite having gone to do timetravel adventures.

I guess to go with the original idea of a joke, I'm thinking we should all cross fingers for a Neelix show!

But then again, the more that I think about this... As much as both are very hated characters, they ended up in a position that could be quite interesting in the hands of good writers. What with Wesley being able to do Doctor Who style adventures and Neelix working to restore his people in a hostile environment (at least that was his story when he came back in STO).

Thank god these idiots have no good writers, so the joke still works either way.

Picard's sure come a long way with his amazing new crew, lol

I too am looking forward to the RLM review for the final two episodes. They have honestly been the only thing I've been enjoying from this show.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think the Pike show had been rumored before. No surprise, Pike was one of the better things about season 2 of Discovery.

Not sure what they can really do with Pike beyond what Discovery was supposed to be in seasons 1-2. Surely they'd have been better transporting the character into the future, let him have more adventures there and then return to his own timeline in time to be totally disabled.

Is the Georgiu show just a long-standing joke? It seems like it was the first spin-off to be announced but has yet to appear?

I'd genuinely be interested in a "raiders" show with 7of9, elnor and rios hanging out in non-federation space holding shit together. At least they can be as dark and hopeless as they want in that setting and I thought 70f9 and Elnor worked really well together and Rios seems like one of those characters who just bounces off other characters well.

Comedy spin-offs still have Neelix high up but maybe they can branch out and make a cookery show with him? Or maybe given the obsession with prequels they can do a show about an 18th/19th century British/American naval ship called Enterprise. Or the shackleton discovery. 

46 minutes ago, sifth said:

I too am looking forward to the RLM review for the final two episodes. They have honestly been the only thing I've been enjoying from this show.

Interesting. What is it about Red Letter Media's consistently racist, misogynistic and often deeply stupid opinions that you find of value?

49 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Interesting. What is it about Red Letter Media's consistently racist, misogynistic and often deeply stupid opinions that you find of value?

Is this some kind of joke I don't get? Do you really mean what you are writing there? If so, then please point me to an example for that. I viewed pretty much all their Star Wars and Star Trek reviews and have found their light-hearted mocking of what's wrong with these franchises right now very refreshing, especially in a climate where it is disturbingly common to see far-right conspiracy theorists jumping on the bandwagon and derail the discussions with conspiracy theories and problematic talking points. I dare to say that I have become quite adept in figuring out who stands where and I would very, very surprised if RLM turns out to not be consciously avoid politicizing their opinions.

So please, take a step back and consider whether your judgemental attitude here is appropriate or not. And whether it doesn't do its own part in bringing 'us vs. them' attitudes to a table where we should discuss writing on its own merit.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Please state some examples? Though I'm not sure if this is a joke or not.

The fact that they favor Star Trek being less violent, more intelligently written and have fewer explosions and people getting murdered is the main reason why I favor their opinion. Though I suppose you are of the mindset where Trek should be as violent and kill crazy as it possibly can be.

1 hour ago, Toth said:

Is this some kind of joke I don't get? Do you really mean what you are writing there? If so, then please point me to an example for that. I viewed pretty much all their Star Wars and Star Trek reviews and have found their light-hearted mocking of what's wrong with these franchises right now very refreshing, especially in a climate where it is disturbingly common to see far-right conspiracy theorists jumping on the bandwagon and derail the discussions with conspiracy theories and problematic talking points. I dare to say that I have become quite adept in figuring out who stands where and I would very, very surprised if RLM turns out to not be consciously avoid politicizing their opinions.

RLM rose to fame with a dissection of The Phantom Menace that leaned very heavily into mocking kidnap and rape culture. They spearheaded the campaign against the 2016 Ghostbusters movie because it had women in it and no other reason (and then did a bizarre "autopsy" video in which they claimed that misogyny was not a driving force behind the pre-release blowback by obfuscating it with post-release reviews, which was straight out of the Gamergate playbook, which they also refused to condemn). They consistently say, "We're not racist but...!" and then make a racist point. They dedicated time from their Force Awakens review to ask why Rey didn't get laid ("Did she have sand in her vagina?") and leaned very heavily into the "Rey is a Mary Sue for having magical powers and doing stuff with them five seconds after learning they exist but Luke is an outstanding example of the Hero's Journey and not a Gary Stu despite doing exactly the same thing" narrative. They have mocked Asian people and used faux-Asian accents in their reviews. They use terms like "the Japs" and "the blacks" unironically. In one semi-serious discussion they did on diversity before The Force Awakens came out they approached the issue of race from the POV purely of middle-aged white men and said that no-one gives a shit about it (whilst not, y'know, asking anyone from those groups what their position was). They use the term "SJW" unironically, although I note not as often as before they started getting called out on it (gotta keep those views coming in). They spent a lot of time shitting on Black Panther for "wokeness" but then had to kind of row back on it when it came out and got good reviews even from their fans (then did exactly the same thing with Captain Marvel).

These are fairly consistent points that they have repeatedly made throughout their entire output to date.

The fact that they favor Star Trek being less violent, more intelligently written and have fewer explosions and people getting murdered is the main reason why I favor their opinion.

I suspect the main reason they favour older incarnations of Trek is to do with the treatment and presentation of the female characters, which was altogether more to their liking and way of thinking.

Though I suppose you are of the mindset where Trek should be as violent and kill crazy as it possibly can be.

I am of the mindset that some people on this forum are looking at the 1990s Star Trek output with glasses tinted so rose that they've turned outright black and absolutely nothing will satisfy them apart from Brannon Braga coming back and shovelling 26 hours of "subspace anomalies" back on the screen, but there you go.

Archived