Star Trek Thread: Set Picard to Stun (spoilers)

Werthead

Not that this really helps, but:

According to the script, the sunglasses worn by Commodore Oh is an homage to actress Anna Karina. Karina recently passed away and was well-known for working with French filmmaker Jean-Luc Goddard. Showrunner Michael Chabon said that it was "stereotypical undercover government operative trope" and was intended to intimidate her.

I’m trying to work out how much time they have to play with, according to memory alpha (though I’m not sure how much is from direct references in TOS / DIS), it’s 2258 at the end of DIS Season 2, and Pike hands over the Enterprise to Kirk in 2265*. Then he gets his face melted a year later. It’s be weird if it went the standard 7 series and concluded with Kirk taking over.

Also, seemed like everyone thought Ethan Peck did a good job but then looked really weird at the end in the full shaved, blue uniformed get up. I wonder if he’ll grow his beard back a little.

*Or actually, possibly 2262.

37 minutes ago, Macklunkey said:

When did Scotty,Uhuru,McCoy and Sulu etc join the Enterprise relative to Kirk? Are any of them likely to feature?

Will it even matter to this current production team?

This show could be great if it's a bit more fun and reminiscent of the original show. I fear it will just fall into the exact same trap that discovery did and given the status quo change for season 3 of discovery I'm inclined to think this new show will just be season 1 and 2 of discovery without deus ex fungi.

But the potential to be a lot of fun is still there. Anson mount and the new spock were welcome additions in discovery but this is definitely going to be a "whose making this show" pause for me. Fingers crossed it's a different group from what we've seen so far. Someone who can do fun with moments of gravity - not sure who fits that bill at the moment maybe some of the "stranger things" folk or possibly creators/writers from a comedy background eg "the good place", "rick and morty" or YA animation eg "avatar" or dragon prince"

33 minutes ago, red snow said:

Will it even matter to this current production team?

This show could be great if it's a bit more fun and reminiscent of the original show. I fear it will just fall into the exact same trap that discovery did and given the status quo change for season 3 of discovery I'm inclined to think this new show will just be season 1 and 2 of discovery without deus ex fungi.

But the potential to be a lot of fun is still there. Anson mount and the new spock were welcome additions in discovery but this is definitely going to be a "whose making this show" pause for me. Fingers crossed it's a different group from what we've seen so far. Someone who can do fun with moments of gravity - not sure who fits that bill at the moment maybe some of the "stranger things" folk or possibly creators/writers from a comedy background eg "the good place", "rick and morty" or YA animation eg "avatar" or dragon prince"

I've seen them say that they will be going for an "episodic" style. More like the original series. So they'll be focusing far less on series long arcs.

44 minutes ago, Macklunkey said:

I've seen them say that they will be going for an "episodic" style. More like the original series. So they'll be focusing far less on series long arcs.

That's probably a good start although it means they have to come up with more stories.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

That's probably a good start although it means they have to come up with more stories.

Time will tell but it's going to depend very much on the quality of the writing.

For example. Is Pike essentially indestructible as he knows his future? 

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I mean whenever Star Trek writers need a plot they tend to just throw a dart at a board and go with something tried and tested. I think every incarnation has had multiple transporter accident plots, godlike aliens screwing with the crew plots, plots about the crew screwing around with the prime directive to help / save / influence primitive aliens because who needs an ethical guideline about a species right to self-determination when you can impose your own moral framework, aliens have taken over our ship/station plots, one or all crewmembers acting weird because of drugs/space mojo/psychic possession plots...

What's always interested me about Star Trek isn't the actual narrative they're telling, like the beats of the stories are usually more or less the same, especially with the episodic format you know everything will resolve to status quo by the end anyway. What I need to see from the writers are interesting and compelling characters and how they deal with those well-trodden story beats.

2 hours ago, Macklunkey said:

Time will tell but it's going to depend very much on the quality of the writing.

And the flipside - will he try and avert his (lets face it) shitty ending? I think it'd be hard to remain upbeat the closer you get to that time. It might be beneficial for the show to introduce the concept that it isn't a fixed event (even if it is) so that Pike knows that he isn't indestructible. Otherwise embrace his "I can't die yet" by having him dodge such things thanks to continuity gods.

God damn prequel shows!

46 minutes ago, Poobah said:

I mean whenever Star Trek writers need a plot they tend to just throw a dart at a board and go with something tried and tested. I think every incarnation has had multiple transporter accident plots, godlike aliens screwing with the crew plots, plots about the crew screwing around with the prime directive to help / save / influence primitive aliens because who needs an ethical guideline about a species right to self-determination when you can impose your own moral framework, aliens have taken over our ship/station plots, one or all crewmembers acting weird because of drugs/space mojo/psychic possession plots...

What's always interested me about Star Trek isn't the actual narrative they're telling, like the beats of the stories are usually more or less the same, especially with the episodic format you know everything will resolve to status quo by the end anyway. What I need to see from the writers are interesting and compelling characters and how they deal with those well-trodden story beats.

Good characters and actors can make up for a lot and the better shows rely mostly on this with the story coming from the characters.

3 hours ago, Macklunkey said:

Every episode something goes wrong in the engine room and he suddenly remembers he has to be somewhere else and hides in a shuttlecraft. 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

And the flipside - will he try and avert his (lets face it) shitty ending? I think it'd be hard to remain upbeat the closer you get to that time. It might be beneficial for the show to introduce the concept that it isn't a fixed event (even if it is) so that Pike knows that he isn't indestructible. Otherwise embrace his "I can't die yet" by having him dodge such things thanks to continuity gods.

Discovery S2 already did that - he saw his bad future and chose not to avert it as the price for doing what was needed to resolve that season's temporal shenanigans.

46 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Discovery S2 already did that - he saw his bad future and chose not to avert it as the price for doing what was needed to resolve that season's temporal shenanigans.

He knows, that's why he's talking about Pike possibly thinking he's indestructible until that event. 

What bothers me is what is stopping him from just retiring now, or like I said avoiding the engine room. It's not like if he actively avoids his destined fate the second season of Discovery will change and their terribly convoluted plan to stop Control will fail. If I were him I'd be building a radiation resistant robot to do whatever he did to save the ship in his place and keep it in the engine room. 

I know the Klingon...time crystal guy told him his fate would be sealed if he took the crystal, I guess my question is how. 

10 hours ago, Macklunkey said:

When did Scotty,Uhuru,McCoy and Sulu etc join the Enterprise relative to Kirk? Are any of them likely to feature?

Not until much later, after Kirk takes command. Spock is literally the only crewmember from The Cage to carry over (there's an eleven-year gap between The Cage and Season 1 of TOS).

The chief medical officer in The Cage is Dr. Boyce, and there's a fan movement springing up to have him played in the new show by Jeffrey Combs (Brunt/Weyoun/Shran), who's aged to bear an uncanny resemblance to the actor who played him, John Hoyt. That would give Combs roles on four different Trek shows (and there'd still be time to slip him into a Discovery and Picard as well), with a recurring or regular character credit on three which I think would be a record.

31 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not until much later, after Kirk takes command. Spock is literally the only crewmember from The Cage to carry over (there's an eleven-year gap between The Cage and Season 1 of TOS).

But we don’t know when anyone signed on to the Enterprise after that do we? Well, except Chekov, and even then there’s that theory that he was on board in season one but not on the bridge. There is the possibility there to recast someone. 

11 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

But we don’t know when anyone signed on to the Enterprise after that do we? Well, except Chekov, and even then there’s that theory that he was on board in season one but not on the bridge. There is the possibility there to recast someone. 

Wrath of Khan confirms that Chekov was on board at the time of Season 1/Space Seed (at least) but he wasn't on the bridge.

The assumption is that chronologically the order is somewhat that of production, so The Cage (original pilot) - Where No Man Has Gone Before (second pilot) - Season 1 proper. So Spock is on board first, then Kirk, Scott and Sulu (in Where No One Has Gone Before) and then McCoy, Uhura and Rand (for Season 1 proper). So there is some scope for Scotty and Sulu to join up towards the end of the series (if not Kirk himself).

I think it may depend on what happens with Kelvin Movie #4, as they may decide that having too many characters with different actors playing them might get confusing.

Archived