Black Crow

Heresy 230 and die Herren von Winterfell

16 hours ago, alienarea said:

That answer doesn't make much sense to me. 

Plus, they exclude Melisandre as an option. 

And the possibility that the letter wasn't send from Winterfell but created at Castle Black.

If you watched both videos, I'm confused to why you think they eliminated the possibility of the Pink Letter originating at Castle Black?

On 3/24/2020 at 8:04 AM, Black Crow said:

Aux Contraire. Very topical and see how many extol his priesience

I suppose.  He should be off the hook for public events at any rate.

2 hours ago, QhorinQuarterhand said:

If you watched both videos, I'm confused to why you think they eliminated the possibility of the Pink Letter originating at Castle Black?

I understood their theory as Roose send a letter and Bowen tempered with it.

To be precise, I think a raven would not have been involved at all. There is some pink wax left from Ramsay's first letter to Jon.

I don't see Bowen knowing or caring about Mance, and I don't see Roose writing about Mance either.

Posted (edited)

I disagree that Bowen Marsh had anything to do with the Pink Letter. He never hid his disapproval of LC Jon Snow's actions, so I think a man that never hid his feelings would never be part of a hidden conspiracy. I think ultimately he was a man that would follow orders. Yes he was part of Jon's stabbing, but that was because he thought Jon was abandoning his post for a personal vendetta. In Bowen's eyes, he's not a mutineer. He's defending the Watch. Melisandre told Jon that he had many enemies, but that his true enemies smiled to his face and sharpened their knives behind their backs. Bowen never smiled to Jon's face, so I don't think he was a true enemy. I think the wildlings are only pretending to be Jon's friend. They are the ones Jon needs to watch out for. Actually, it's too late. They are already through the Wall and spread along the base of the Wall in the castles. I am expecting to read about white walkers south of the Wall near the beginning of Winds.

Edited to add: Bowen Marsh doesn’t know who Reek is nor have any way to know who he is.

Edited by Melifeather

On 3/26/2020 at 10:14 PM, Melifeather said:

I disagree that Bowen Marsh had anything to do with the Pink Letter. He never hid his disapproval of LC Jon Snow's actions, so I think a man that never hid his feelings would never be part of a hidden conspiracy. I think ultimately he was a man that would follow orders. Yes he was part of Jon's stabbing, but that was because he thought Jon was abandoning his post for a personal vendetta. In Bowen's eyes, he's not a mutineer. He's defending the Watch. Melisandre told Jon that he had many enemies, but that his true enemies smiled to his face and sharpened their knives behind their backs. Bowen never smiled to Jon's face, so I don't think he was a true enemy. I think the wildlings are only pretending to be Jon's friend. They are the ones Jon needs to watch out for. Actually, it's too late. They are already through the Wall and spread along the base of the Wall in the castles. I am expecting to read about white walkers south of the Wall near the beginning of Winds.

Edited to add: Bowen Marsh doesn’t know who Reek is nor have any way to know who he is.

No one at Castle Black knows about Reek. Who in Winterfell could send a raven to the wall?

On 3/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, alienarea said:

No one at Castle Black knows about Reek. Who in Winterfell could send a raven to the wall?

I think Mance could have sent the raven that carried the Pink Letter. While the books don't mention it, it seems only logical that ravens would be identified by bands indicating which castle they're from. I posit that ravens that fly to the Wall would wear black bands around their legs.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, Melifeather said:

I think Mance could have sent the raven that carried the Pink Letter. While the books don't mention it, it seems only logical that ravens would be identified by bands indicating which castle they're from. I posit that ravens that fly to the Wall would wear black bands around their legs.

I was quite active in the Pink Letter threads years ago, but don't remember my last argument without going back there.

I recall arguing for Mance as the author because he always called Jon a bastard and would know about Reek.

Another option is Melisandre, she could have all the information if she gets her visions straight.

But we all know how GRRM likes to play with us and subvert tropes: maybe the letter has been written by Ramsay, after he killed Roose and tortured some information from Mance and/or the spearwives?

My today's reasoning for this: if Mance had send the letter, he would have risked someone at Castle Black reading it before Jon, revealing himself to be alive and putting Jon at risk. Does that make sense? Not unless he wants / risks Jon to get killed and the watch eliminated. Which again points at Melisandre and her one chapter and the word Jon and Mance heard different (IIRC).