US Politics: Money, Money, Money Makes the World Go Round

Fragile Bird

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

We have the dumbest possible political system

https://twitter.com/chaneyj/status/1231041799797473280?s=20

They should use that party game Mafia instead.  Guess which delegate is the secret informant responsible for snitching on the Godfather to the FBI.

Poor guy. It's the only way he can get it up these days.

Stephen Miller: Stopping Asylum-Seekers Is “All I Care About”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/02/stephen-miller-immigration-this-is-my-life.html

In a profile published Friday, the New Yorker recounted a November meeting between Trump adviser Stephen Miller and administration officials on the topic of Central American asylum-seekers.

According to the New Yorker:

One participant in the November meeting pointed out that El Salvador didn’t have a functioning asylum system. “They don’t need a system,” Miller interrupted. He began speaking over people, asking questions, then cutting off the answers.

As the meeting ended, Miller held up his hand to make a final comment. “I didn’t mean to come across as harsh,” he said. His voice dropped. “It’s just that this is all I care about. I don’t have a family. I don’t have anything else. This is my life.”

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Bloomberg's favorability dropped by 30.points with moderate dems since the debate, so any of yall who feared and loathed him should toss a coin to your Warren. 

She certainly seems to be a friend to humanity, but it does seem that a lot of coins have already been tossed in the last couple of days.

This guy really seems to have  bought into the message of ”Freedom of speech” equals  ”I can be as terrible to minorities as I want and you can't criticize me for it.”

Which is a standard belief to far many people. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2020-02-21/man-guilty-of-killing-2-who-tried-to-stop-his-slurs-on-train

A man accused of fatally stabbing two men who prosecutors say tried to stop his racist tirade against two young black women on a Portland, Oregon, commuter train has been convicted of murder.

Seeing blatant bots leaping to the defence of Bloomberg on Twitter makes me feel like he should be able to afford better bots than these

One of the replies claims (I haven't verified) that his campaign manager is the same as the one who ran Bolsonaro's campaign and his bot swarm has been reduced to Bloomie. Not what I would have thought was the best approach for someone trying to win the nomination for the left

I mean... this basically guarantees that we are getting the Sanders/Gabbard ticket everyone was talking about a couple weeks back, right?  ;) 

I also have already seen a quote from Sanders saying "Some of the ugly stuff on the Internet attributed to our campaign may well not be coming from real supporters."  While true, that is certainly a convenient way to dismiss the ugly Bernie Bros that have also been a hot topic of discussion around these parts.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I mean... this basically guarantees that we are getting the Sanders/Gabbard ticket everyone was talking about a couple weeks back, right?  ;) 

I also have already seen a quote from Sanders saying "Some of the ugly stuff on the Internet attributed to our campaign may well not be coming from real supporters."  While true, that is certainly a convenient way to dismiss the ugly Bernie Bros that have also been a hot topic of discussion around these parts.

Bernie Bros are a myth--insomuch as they're no worse than any other candidate's most rabid supporters. It's a good narrative for the media who has worked hard to create oppositional takes against Bernie, but he's been so consistent, it's kind of hard to find meaningful criticisms outside of, "I just don't agree with him." Salon had an article on this. Unlimited views--as any good far left publication should be.

I remember back in 2016 there was an article at the start of the whole Bernie Bro myth that tracked one down who used violent rhetoric and called him up.  Turns out he was a Trump supporter in Arizona.  He was freaked out someone called him up and apologized profusely and hung up quickly.  He certainly wasn't the only Trumpist doing that.  The article disappeared the second time I went to look for it a day or so later.

3 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I remember back in 2016 there was an article at the start of the whole Bernie Bro myth that tracked one down who used violent rhetoric and called him up.  Turns out he was a Trump supporter in Arizona.  He was freaked out someone called him up and apologized profusely and hung up quickly.  He certainly wasn't the only Trumpist doing that.  The article disappeared the second time I went to look for it a day or so later.

I think with the anonymity of the internet, we have to take a lot with a grain of salt. I have no doubt there are true dickbag Bernie Bros out there. I'm sure there are a lot of trolls too. I don't really know. I think it's really ridiculous to ask a candidate to do more. Bernie's said he finds it despicable, but even then, it's not enough. I heard a clip of the View the other day where Whoopi said he needs to go out there and condemn it every day. What? Why doesn't Klobuchar have to go out and condemn her Klementors who I find particularly lonesome? Not even every day, but maybe once at least? 

I think if people dislike Bernie's political views, fine, but I suppose that's not a winning stance to take in political news. 

Sorry, but this 'Bernie Bros are a myth' idea is dismissive of the personal experience of virtually every non-Sanders supporter I know.

Is it a tiny minority? Yes. Do all candidates have bad actors among their support? Yes. Is the perception of hundreds of independent individuals with no axe to grind that Sanders has a particularly severe problem amongst his supporters to be airily dismissed? No.

3 minutes ago, mormont said:

Sorry, but this 'Bernie Bros are a myth' idea is dismissive of the personal experience of virtually every non-Sanders supporter I know.

Is it a tiny minority? Yes. Do all candidates have bad actors among their support? Yes. Is the perception of hundreds of independent individuals with no axe to grind that Sanders has a particularly severe problem amongst his supporters to be airily dismissed? No.

The vigor with which his supporters have gravitated to the "it's all russian trolls!" certainly is evidentiary. Sweeping that experience and ongoing narrative under the carpet is VERY on brand.

Yes it is definitely a minority but it is definitely a Bernie phenomenon it's not as if the supporters of other candidates don't have toxic people but Bernie has attracted certain kind of organized toxicity that is definitely not the same. No other democratic candidate has the equivalent of r/chapotraphouse for example.   

59 minutes ago, mormont said:

Because? There are plenty individuals with “no axe to grind” who could/would say the exact same thing about any presidential candidate currently running.
I won’t pretend to know all the experiences of every none-Sanders you’ve met. 

Personal anecdotes aside is there actual evidence Sander’s has particularly sever problem amongst his supporters? 

23 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Because? There are plenty individuals with “no axe to grind” who could/would say the exact same thing about any presidential candidate currently running.

Are there? Where are they?

I've never seen anyone complain about any of the other candidates having a particular problem in this regard. Yet, as you say, if this was a made-up narrative and nothing more, there should be such complaints.

Your point tends to support my point, I think, rather than refute it.

48 minutes ago, Darzin said:

Yes it is definitely a minority but it is definitely a Bernie phenomenon it's not as if the supporters of other candidates don't have toxic people but Bernie has attracted certain kind of organized toxicity that is definitely not the same. No other democratic candidate has the equivalent of r/chapotraphouse for example.   

But this isn't an example of the toxic "bros." I've looked through their Reddit. They're pretty open minded and thoughtful. Bernie has an organized base, not a toxic organized base. People are super sensitive about this narrative to the point where if you were to disagree and attempt to explain misconceptions, you get called a bro. It's truly upsetting to many Bernie supporters who are more diverse than other candidacies. The Chapo Traphouse people are a huge part of Bernie's faction, and to insinuate these are the people being misogynistic, when many of them are women, people of color, LGBTQ+ is a reduction of their place in the conversation.

19 minutes ago, mormont said:

Are there? Where are they?

I've never seen anyone complain about any of the other candidates having a particular problem in this regard. Yet, as you say, if this was a made-up narrative and nothing more, there should be such complaints.

Your point tends to support my point, I think, rather than refute it.

The Hillary supporters were particularly brutal on Facebook. Now it's the Klobs and Bidens who sit there and post these horrifically angry screeds against the "Squad" and "uninformed" or "idiotic" Sanders supporters. It's everywhere. I think most of just don't go around pointing fingers about it. It doesn't really matter.

Listen to Anna Kasparian from the Young Turks talk about this just this week. She said that supporters of numerous Democratic supporters come at her with misogynistic vitriol, and this is true for so many of her friends. Her point was, they just don't talk about it because it's Twitter, and you can ignore. They only bring it up now because suddenly Bernie is being asked to be accountable for his so called unique, particularly vicious base.

I'd also say go look at Rashida Tlaib, or AOC--any member of the squad. It's not just the right that goes after them. They have very upsetting stories about how liberals treat them. Death threats, rage, anger, etc.

6 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

The Hillary supporters were particularly brutal on Facebook. Now it's the Klobs and Bidens who sit there and post these horrifically angry screeds against the "Squad" and "uninformed" or "idiotic" Sanders supporters. It's everywhere. I think most of just don't go around pointing fingers about it. It doesn't really matter.

These are the people who spit at me, not anybody who claimed to support Bernia at that time.  This was in  meat space, not FB, where I experienced this, as I've always been an FB (and twitter, etc.) refunik.

Now I get a lot of abuse as a supporter the Squad.

22 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The squad is... a little bit insufferable.

That is ... little bit ... generally speaking ... bigotry? misogyny? racism? sheer jealousy and resentment that these young women have done what I have not? etc,? :dunno:  Particularly considering how many truly evil, not just insufferable, people they are up against.

~~~~~~~~~

What if he doesn't go, what will happen?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/what-if-he-wont-go/606259/

....If Trump were inclined to overstay his term, the levers of power work in favor of removal. Because the president immediately and automatically loses his constitutional authority upon expiration of his term or after removal through impeachment, he would lack the power to direct the U.S. Secret Service or other federal agents to protect him. He would likewise lose his power, as the commander in chief of the armed forces, to order a military response to defend him. In fact, the newly minted president would possess those presidential powers. If necessary, the successor could direct federal agents to forcibly remove Trump from the White House. Now a private citizen, Trump would no longer be immune from criminal prosecution, and could be arrested and charged with trespassing in the White House. While even former presidents enjoy Secret Service protection, agents presumably would not follow an illegal order to protect one from removal from office

Although Trump’s remaining in office seems unlikely, a more frightening—and plausible—scenario would be if his defeat inspired extremist supporters to engage in violence. One could imagine a world in which Trump is defeated in the 2020 election, and he immediately begins tweeting that the election was rigged. Or consider the possibility, albeit remote, that a second-term Trump is removed from office through impeachment, and rails about his ouster as a coup. His message would be amplified by right-wing media. If his grievances hit home with even a few people inclined toward violence, deadly acts of violence, or even terrorist attacks against the new administration, could result....

This fact of our national history so are, is this Constitutional rule and the peaceful transfer of power has happened only because the outgoing figure has complied. The record here of compliance to any laws, rule, regulations and even norms is 0.

But if Trump should fail in his final duty as president to transfer power peacefully, the nation’s laws, norms, and institutions will be responsible for carrying out the will of the electorate. Should those fail too, then the American experiment’s greatest achievement will come to a grinding halt, and with it the hope that a republic can ever be kept.

I should think bloomb's 3rd-term stunt would have been worthy of mention, as long as we're sifting through the history of how people don't leave office, especially if a billionaire. A lifelong Democrat before seeking elective office, Bloomberg switched his party registration in 2001 to run for mayor as a Republican. ... Bloomberg campaigned to change the city's term limits law and was elected to his third term in 2009 as an independent on the Republican ballot line.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/nyregion/26trailer.html

CAMPAIGN TRAILER
Bloomberg’s Latest on Terms: 3 for Him, but Only 2 for Everyone Else
By Michael Barbaro and David W. Chen
Oct. 25, 2010

On Monday, in an unexpected confession, Mr. Bloomberg said he wanted to reverse the changes to the city’s term-limits law, which he successfully campaigned for in 2008. Those changes are now the subject of a little-publicized ballot initiative on Election Day.

The mayor said he would vote to restore a limit of two terms, down from three, and to ban the City Council from rewriting the rule for sitting elected officials, closing a legislative loophole that Mr. Bloomberg exploited in his quest to remain in office beyond eight years. The results of the ballot initiative would not affect Mr. Bloomberg, but would affect his successors....

...voters, who originally passed the two-term limit in a 1993 referendum, only to watch it be dismantled by the mayor and the Council.

Archived