How were the Targaryens viewed in universe, in westeros and essos ?

Mario Seddy

On 3/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, Ser Uncle P said:

In Fire and Blood, a Braavosi banker tells Septon Barth "Your Targaryen kings are Valyrian to the bone" (can't find my copy to quote it exact)

For a Braavosi this meant the Targaryens are not to be trusted. I'd say the Rhoynish pedigree in Dorne's rulers would have concurred. 

Equally I'd say the Essosi who didn't have bad blood with the Freehold would have viewed the Targaryens with a degree of awe, especially when their dragons still lived. 

One can dislike them, but still respect and envy them at the same time.  If a lot of young boys daydreamed of becoming the sword of the morning, well, imagine how many more fantasized about riding a dragon.  Besides, the Targaryen kings were not slavers.  The Targaryens even chose to oppose slavery during their time on Dragonstone.  So those people in the story who would associate them with the sin of the old empire are either ignorant of history or prejudice.  Bottom line, the Targaryens as a family are admired and envied.  

I actually find it a little strange that Robert is the only person in the story who hates Rhaegar. The public story is that he kidnapped and raped Lyanna, yet none of the characters seem perturbed by this. The only other person who is upset that Rhaegar abducted Lyanna is Dany, and most of the time she idolizes him.

Take Sansa, for instance. AGOT Sansa would probably overlook most of the story and focus on the romantic implications, but wouldn't post-Joffrey Sansa view Rhaegar as a sleemo? 

24 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I actually find it a little strange that Robert is the only person in the story who hates Rhaegar. The public story is that he kidnapped and raped Lyanna, yet none of the characters seem perturbed by this. The only other person who is upset that Rhaegar abducted Lyanna is Dany, and most of the time she idolizes him.

Take Sansa, for instance. AGOT Sansa would probably overlook most of the story and focus on the romantic implications, but wouldn't post-Joffrey Sansa view Rhaegar as a sleemo? 

Well, most of the people knew and loved  Rhaegar and didn't care a bit about Lyanna, so why trouble yourself with annoying "he did that he did this" when you can just... Ignore it. It also serves that Lyanna was from a remote  place and people only saw her at Harrenhall. Barristan for example, rather not think about it, JonCon follows the same logic... And neither Cersei nor Kevan cared enough about Lyanna, the rest truth be told... Have not voiced an opinion about it... But they more likely than not, just ignore that little  inconvenient.

That and the fact that... Since when Westerosi people have been much troubled about nobles "taking their due"??

Just now, frenin said:

Well, most of the people knew and loved  Rhaegar and didn't care a bit about Lyanna, so why trouble yourself with annoying "he did that he did this" when you can just... Ignore it. It also serves that Lyanna was from a remote  place and people only saw her at Harrenhall. Barristan for example, rather not think about it, JonCon follows the same logic... And neither Cersei nor Kevan cared enough about Lyanna, the rest truth be told... Have not voiced an opinion about it... But they more likely than not, just ignore that little  inconvenient.

That and the fact that... Since when Westerosi people have been much troubled about nobles "taking their due"??

Wouldn't the Northerners hate him, at the very least, considering how popular the Starks are?

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Wouldn't the Northerners hate him, at the very least, considering how popular the Starks are?

Likely given  that we know what the Northern version  is, but then again... The only people we've seen praising Rhaegar are those who loved him... Or Jorah who was pretending to be a loyalist.

I firmly believe that Rhaegar is well loved across the Realm... Well, bar the regions  deeply rebel Kingdoms+ Dorne. But we are only given  a very few accounts saying that Rhaegar is awesome... And it suddenly seems that everyone is in love with him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 8:47 PM, Allardyce said:

House Targaryen is the most famous family in the world.  They are held in high esteem for their achievements and their family line.  They are the heirs to the lands which once belonged to the Freehold as well as the continent of Westeros.  The calendar is measured from the time Aegon landed.  The most valuable currency is the Golden Dragon.  They built the capital city of King's Landing.  Yeah, I'd say they are the greatest family to have ever come along on Earthos. 

:agree:

They also built the Sept of Baelor. Daenerys brought back the dragons. She has become a Khaleesi, the first woman to lead a khalasar. 

Archived