Obnoxious POV's

Alyn Oakenfist

So what character's POV in a book you simply can't stand? Mine would be in no particular order:

• Brienne in AFFC. No Brienne nobody's seen a fair maiden with a fool. Those POV's are incredibly bad. It's 33% random side quests, 33% Riverland tourism and 33% actually interesting stuff but for whom your patience has long since disappeared,
  • Tyrion in ADWD. No Tyrion, nobody knows where whores go. Now could you maybe, just maybe stop being a bloody pawn and you know, do something!!!!!
  • Dany in ADWD. The same problem. Do something, anything, I don't give a damn about Ghiscari food, clothing or what not. The only good thing Day does for the story is get out of Meeren and allow Barristan to actually do something.
  • Bran. Bran is just the stories exposition fairy. GRRM needs to tell us something so Bran finds it out.
  • Arya in AFFC and ADWD. For God's sake you can rap this up in 2 chapters not a gazillion. I don't give a crap about how the temple looks or what the statues are.
  • Jon Snow in ASOS. Why? ,,You know noth..." I KNOW!!!!! You know! I don't. I got it, I got the concept.

-Damphair & Victarion. Don't care about the Ironborns, their toxic masculinity (sorry, know a lot of ppl don't like this phrase, but I don't know how else to call it and I think it fits the Ironborns, otherwise, I welcome other suggestions) and their brutal ways, stupidity and religious fanaticism

-Theon, because of Theon

-Reek, sometimes, because too much Ramsey and too much torture and suffering 

-Arys Oakheart, not that I hate him or anything, I just thought, his pov wasn't needed and annoying, he just seemed stupid and the way he described Arianne was very similar to how Tyrion described Shae. Made me want to have a Shae pov, we really only know her from Tyrion's pov and a bit from Sansa's

- Dany in AGOT, because of Drogo and Viserys and Dany's pov just reading like that of a 13 year old girl and also her being just a 13 year old girl lol. Things got more enjoyable, when Drogo was finally dead :D don't care how hot Jason Mamoa is -he needed to die

59 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

-Damphair & Victarion. Don't care about the Ironborns, their toxic masculinity (sorry, know a lot of ppl don't like this phrase, but I don't know how else to call it and I think it fits the Ironborns, otherwise, I welcome other suggestions) and their brutal ways, stupidity and religious fanaticism.

I've pretty much hated every Greyjoy POV when they are on the Iron Isles, and instantly found them interesting the moment they leave the Isles. I think all the negative Ironborn traits you mention are to much when in the middle of it, but work when put into contrast with other cultures.

The first 4 the OP named are pretty annoying, 

I also found Theon Pre-Reek pretty irritating. 

Arianne sucks the life out of me

I didn't mind Arya in the HotB&W but it wasn't great. 

I liked pretty much all of Jon's (surprise)

Of the first 4 from the OP, if I had to pick one as the most annoying it would definitely be Brienne in aFfC

Damphair was pretty annoying too. 

3 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Dany in AGOT, because of Drogo and Viserys and Dany's pov just reading like that of a 13 year old girl and also her being just a 13 year old girl lol. Things got more enjoyable, when Drogo was finally dead :D don't care how hot Jason Mamoa is -he needed to die

:fencing:

Hence forth I dub Jason Mamoa Sweetie #2 :wub:

10 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

-Arys Oakheart, not that I hate him or anything, I just thought, his pov wasn't needed and annoying, he just seemed stupid and the way he described Arianne was very similar to how Tyrion described Shae. 

He is the only single chapter PoV to die in the middle of his book (although not in his own chapter) which makes me wonder what the George wants us to make of him. Like, is he coming back? Was it his body the blind girl in the House of Black and White prepared? 

But apart from that thought niggling like a loose tooth, there is absolutely nothing to make Arys Oakheart interesting.

Plus he acts as the gateway point of view for Arianne. 

I guess, if it was a choice between including his chapter or writing another Arianne chapter, l can see his worth. Sort of.

11 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

The first 4 the OP named are pretty annoying, 

I also found Theon Pre-Reek pretty irritating. 

Arianne sucks the life out of me

I didn't mind Arya in the HotB&W but it wasn't great. 

I liked pretty much all of Jon's (surprise)

Of the first 4 from the OP, if I had to pick one as the most annoying it would definitely be Brienne in aFfC

Damphair was pretty annoying too. 

at least you didn't include my personal Sweetie Bran (of course a very different kind Sweetie) :D

Brienne being annoying... lost for words.....:bs: She's my second favorite all together. I would read about her just drinking coffee for pages lol especially if Pod was there as well. I reread he chapters constantly.

I like Arianne, because I like her personality in general and we learn more about the Dornish culture, and apparently i just like chapters, where there isn't constantly a lot happening :laugh:

1 hour ago, Nagini's Neville said:

at least you didn't include my personal Sweetie Bran (of course a very different kind Sweetie) :D

Brienne being annoying... lost for words.....:bs: She's my second favorite all together. I would read about her just drinking coffee for pages lol especially if Pod was there as well. I reread he chapters constantly.

I like Arianne, because I like her personality in general and we learn more about the Dornish culture, and apparently i just like chapters, where there isn't constantly a lot happening :laugh:

I did actually include Bran :( LOL The first 4 of the OP would be Brienne in aFfC, Tyrion in aDwD, Dany in aDwD, & Bran - to be fair though I do think he is very sweet, just the trek up north for him, Jojen, Hodor, & Meera seems to drag & drag & drag LOL 

Also, I love Brienne, it's just her chapters where she is looking for Sansa that I find annoying :) 

It's funny, you hate Jon's chapters in ASOS, but it was the only book that I put his chapter among the ones I liked most in the book, I skipped several lines of his chapters in the first two books, what happened on the wall was not very interesting to me, but it improved a lot when Stannis went north, I find Jon's chapters in the first two books extremely boring.

I don't like the Davos chapters.

Bran's chapters are boring in all the books, but he is one of my favorite characters, so I try hard to read everything.

Sansa in AGOT was just hateful.

Dany in ADWD was a penance, the best thing in the book was that she was leaving there with Drogon

5 hours ago, redriver said:

Obnoxious threads are way easier to spot.

As for obnoxious commentators, they are even easier to spot.

43 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Bran - to be fair though I do think he is very sweet, just the trek up north for him, Jojen, Hodor, & Meera seems to drag & drag & drag LOL 

It's weird cause Bran clearly has potential and his chapters in the 3 eyed ravens cave are mildly interesting (which is a major upgrade for his chapters). Also I really find his chapters in AGOT and ACOK to be beyond tedious. It's basically just not so subtle foreshadowing of things we probably already guessed mixed with a lot, and I mean a lot of exposition dumps. His chapters feel like homework to allow you to enjoy the rest of the series. Which is kinda sad seeing as his character is actually decent (except in AGOT, there he is just whining constantly).

5 minutes ago, TedBear said:

Bran's chapters are boring in all the books, but he is one of my favorite characters, so I try hard to read everything.

Same here, it's hard to do it however.

13 minutes ago, TedBear said:

It's funny, you hate Jon's chapters in ASOS, but it was the only book that I put his chapter among the ones I liked most in the book, I skipped several lines of his chapters in the first two books, what happened on the wall was not very interesting to me, but it improved a lot when Stannis went north, I find Jon's chapters in the first two books extremely boring.

His chapters in ASOS are pretty good, his inner conflict is great but Ygritte is just awful. She's like a woke teenager who think she's the smartest human on earth, and everybody around her is stupid. Her kinda rapey advances don't help either.

1 hour ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Also, I love Brienne, it's just her chapters where she is looking for Sansa that I find annoying :) 

Meaning almost all of them. Her character is great, but her AFFC story is so bloody boring. It's ironic cause it probably has my favorite speech from ASOIAF.

24 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

It's weird cause Bran clearly has potential and his chapters in the 3 eyed ravens cave are mildly interesting (which is a major upgrade for his chapters). Also I really find his chapters in AGOT and ACOK to be beyond tedious. It's basically just not so subtle foreshadowing of things we probably already guessed mixed with a lot, and I mean a lot of exposition dumps. His chapters feel like homework to allow you to enjoy the rest of the series. Which is kinda sad seeing as his character is actually decent (except in AGOT, there he is just whining constantly).

Yeah it is. I groaned every time I turned the page & saw it was another Bran chapter but then would think - maybe this one will give me some cool information! Like, we know it should be coming, but much like tWoW, we are losing faith it will ever get here! 

25 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Meaning almost all of them. Her character is great, but her AFFC story is so bloody boring. It's ironic cause it probably has my favorite speech from ASOIAF.

Haha! I do like Brienne & I think she may be much more interesting in Winds. I cannot wait to find out how she settles things with Lady Stoneheart & Jaime. 

20 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So what character's POV in a book you simply can't stand? Mine would be in no particular order:

• Brienne in AFFC. No Brienne nobody's seen a fair maiden with a fool. Those POV's are incredibly bad. It's 33% random side quests, 33% Riverland tourism and 33% actually interesting stuff but for whom your patience has long since disappeared,
  • Tyrion in ADWD. No Tyrion, nobody knows where whores go. Now could you maybe, just maybe stop being a bloody pawn and you know, do something!!!!!
  • Dany in ADWD. The same problem. Do something, anything, I don't give a damn about Ghiscari food, clothing or what not. The only good thing Day does for the story is get out of Meeren and allow Barristan to actually do something.
  • Bran. Bran is just the stories exposition fairy. GRRM needs to tell us something so Bran finds it out.
  • Arya in AFFC and ADWD. For God's sake you can rap this up in 2 chapters not a gazillion. I don't give a crap about how the temple looks or what the statues are.
  • Jon Snow in ASOS. Why? ,,You know noth..." I KNOW!!!!! You know! I don't. I got it, I got the concept.

It sounds to me that you didn't much care for either Feast or Dance. From a plot perspective, I agree. Everything just kind of sat still after Storm, save for Cersei in King's Landing. From a backstory perspective, however, there's quite a bit in there.

But as far as moving the story along, it's like we've been waiting 20 years for the next book, not 10. :blush:

9 hours ago, Walda said:

He is the only single chapter PoV to die in the middle of his book (although not in his own chapter) which makes me wonder what the George wants us to make of him. Like, is he coming back? Was it his body the blind girl in the House of Black and White prepared?

The chapter where Arys Oakhart dies was supposed to be the end of AFFC's prologue.

When George started writing Feast, he devised to start the book with a multi-pov prologue that included three Dornish chapters: the Captain of the Guards, The Soiled Knight and the Queenmaker. After various rewrites, this prologue grew longer and longer (including Ironborn chapters too), and at the end George decided that he couldn't afford to have a prologue so long that the reader would find the first proper chapter from an old POV until after one third of the book. For this reason, he decided to split the prologue and distribute the chapters intended for the prologue among the book.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

It sounds to me that you didn't much care for either Feast or Dance. From a plot perspective, I agree. Everything just kind of sat still after Storm, save for Cersei in King's Landing. From a backstory perspective, however, there's quite a bit in there.

But as far as moving the story along, it's like we've been waiting 20 years for the next book, not 10. :blush:

Actually I quite like both AFFC and ADWD quite a lot, I just find their chapters very polarized. The Cersei, Jaime, Jon, Davos, Arriane and Barristan have, I think some of the best chapters in all of ASOIAF (Tyrion in ACOK and ASOS wil forever be my favorite, but still). However for those great chapters there is a lot of suffering (looking at you Dany in ADWD).

On 2/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Brienne in AFFC. No Brienne nobody's seen a fair maiden with a fool. Those POV's are incredibly bad. It's 33% random side quests, 33% Riverland tourism and 33% actually interesting stuff but for whom your patience has long since disappeared,

But... Nimble Dick! Him plus Clarence Crabb stories makes up for the rest no?

Archived