US Politics: What goes up, must come down!

Fragile Bird

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The idea that you can identify "winners" and "losers" in politics based on a single race is stupid.  It is akin to saying that Trent Dilfer is a better quarterback than Dan Marino.  Lots of candidates seem like "winners" right up until they don't.  Likewise plenty of candidates lose elections and then go on to become Presidents, Senators and Governors.  The only candidates in the current primary who have never lost a race are Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren, and how much good is all their "winning" doing for them?

Marino would trade his career for Dilfer’s though, even if it meant having to listen to Ray Lewis’ rantings and ravings. :P

25 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So you are putting the future of your Nation into the capable hands of Chuck Norris then?

It’s like you weren’t even listening to the conversation.

We place our futures in Jeff Goldblum’s rugged hands!!!

55 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol. Assuming Sanders wants someone that can stay on his message, the pool is small and those two could do it while also addressing the of diversity. Sure there are other options, but those two names will be floated loudly.

I expect Sanders to nominate himself for VP.  There isn't anyone else here can go to who will stay on message and stick it to the opposition...

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s like you weren’t even listening to the conversation.

We place our futures in Jeff Goldblum’s rugged hands!!! 

Nope.

Two reasons you are not.

1. Goldblum is a Democrat (I presume).

2. Goldblum is Jewish.

Norris on the other hand.

1. Is a Republican.

2. Unqualified

3. Christian and crazy.

You see, Norris has the advantage here.

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nope.

Two reasons you are not.

1. Goldblum is a Democrat (I presume).

2. Goldblum is Jewish.

Norris on the other hand.

1. Is a Republican.

2. Unqualified

3. Christian and crazy.

You see, Norris has the advantage here.

Norris lost to Bruce Lee. China will eat him for lunch in trade negotiations.  

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Norris lost to Bruce Lee. China will eat him for lunch in trade negotiations.  

Bruce Lee was an American Citizen, back when China (sent their best people), so that means nothing. Apart from you revealing that you haven't watched the Bruce Lee biopic from the 1990s.

Chuck Norris will Roundhouse kick the Chinese delegate. Nothing ends a trade war like a roundhouse kick. Basically, that's the Chuck Norris policy on any given topic.

Climate change? Roundhosue kick.

International Law? Roundhouse kick.

Supreme Court Judge to replace RBG? Roundhouse kick.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bruce Lee was an American Citizen, back when China (sent their best people), so that means nothing. Apart from you revealing that you haven't watched the Bruce Lee biopic from the 1990s.

Chuck Norris will Roundhouse kick the Chinese delegate. Nothing ends a trade war like a roundhouse kick. Basically, that's the Chuck Norris policy on any given topic.

Climate change? Roundhosue kick.

International Law? Roundhouse kick.

Supreme Court Judge to replace RBG? Roundhouse kick.

Chuck would duck the Chinese delegation just like Floyd always ducked Manny.

And Norris is jealous of Goldblum’s glorious chest hair.

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Sorry for double post but here's another example of the subtle creep of executive power:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31075649/justice-sonia-sotomayor-supreme-court-conservatives/

Would love to see next Pres ask congress to strengthen checks on the presidency, especially war powers, but I don't even know how you legislate something like this.

I’d love to see that too.  How much do you want to bet whoever takes the Oval office runs with Trump’s expansion of Executive power and takes no action to reverse his abuses.

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d love to see that too.  How much do you want to bet whoever takes the Oval office runs with Trump’s expansion of Executive power and takes no action to reverse his abuses.

I could see Warren actually trying to reign in executive power (not really sure if getting rid of filibuster would help...probably?), Sanders would be a reach.  I don't think any of the other candidates would even consider it beyond lip service.  Plus the realities of a polarized legislature make governing by EO and asking for stays some of the limited tools the Pres would have to work with, and when there's precedent, it's easy to rationalize it.

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That's what I would run on if I had political aptitude, an empowerment of the legislature while stripping down the executive and confronting judicial overreach.

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If one believes this about him.  Because, again, if it were truly about the movement, he'd not be running and throwing support behind Warren or someone else who will actually be able to work towards enacting things. 

Instead, he obviously believes he's the only one who can actually do things, but with that record of legislating that he holds, it has to be suspected he's probably better as an ideas guy, not an actual driving force. 

I have to say, you're absolutely right that he believes [no one currently running] represents the movement. I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but it seems he's lost faith in Warren's ability to lead the movement, so he's keeping it going. Either way, he made the movement skyrocket in 2016, it makes sense he continues that as long as he's able. I'm 40 and I don't think I could keep up with him one day on the campaign trail. I do think he has to consider his age, but again, if he doesn't believe in the current field of Dems as leading the movement (and why should he? They've all proved themselves more than willing to give up and run to the center), then why must he defer? How is this hubris or supposed conceit? He wants none of this to be about him. There's a long history of that being the case.

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I have seen her explicitly saying that she WOULD take a VP position.  I think it might be that she wouldn't take a VP position for someone who hasn't won the nomination yet (which was floated as a possible Biden move to shore up support with women and AA voters). 

She and Bloomberg have been linked lately, and she certainly seems to be cozying up to him. The more I look into it, the more people seem pretty upset with her taking money from him and attaching herself to him. I have to say, it's surprising given what I do know of her.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reveal hidden contents

ZZZZZZZER!

If you can't beat voter suppression what the fuck use are you to the Democratic party?

I mean, it didn't help that she ran against the guy running the damn election and that he took very concrete actions, in his role as Secretary of State, to ensure he won.

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m working the polls for the election on Saturday.  It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

That's awesome! Have fun, and remember that it is now supposedly legal for black people to vote in South Carolina now!

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That's awesome! Have fun, and remember that it is now supposedly legal for black people to vote in South Carolina now!

Ha ha.  I don’t know which polling place I will be helping manage.  We were trained by a gentleman who happened to be black.

15 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I mean, it didn't help that she ran against the guy running the damn election and that he took very concrete actions, in his role as Secretary of State, to ensure he won.

About that, I'd think any ethical actor would recuse themselves if they found themselves in that position. The fact that he went ham then indicates to me he's a p.o.s.

29 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

She and Bloomberg have been linked lately, and she certainly seems to be cozying up to him. The more I look into it, the more people seem pretty upset with her taking money from him and attaching herself to him. I have to say, it's surprising given what I do know of her.

You know she was super tight with Governor Deal right? Like she wasn't some firebrand liberal savior going from town to town hoisting the flag of the worker.

Have you even googled her? 

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m working the polls for the election on Saturday.  It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Gonna do the right thing, good for you. Good for you. Word to the wise, make sure when you're switching out the ballot boxes, you buy your fakes from the same store that the county used.

Coulda saved me eighteen months and five dead hookers if I hadn't fucked that up.

15 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The fact that the deck is ridiculously stacked against liberals is why I want proven winners. For all that she was wronged, for all that there was clear malfeasance... what? What then? It doesn't matter! She lost and nobody did anything about it. It meant nothing. Stacy Abrams is a media generated narrative that impacts our political reality 0 percent until people start talking themselves into believing she's a savior based on nothing but fucking wishes.

Archived