US Politics: What goes up, must come down!

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh you want a real revolution worthy of this new world?

Give them weapons. No guns.

Bars of soap, wrapped in towels. At dawn.

3 minutes ago, sologdin said:

how bona fide is bloomberg's offer? it's not like the cappies are wanting a leftwing president. 

bloomberg knew it would be rejected, so he can make the offer with no risk of funding a lefty.  and sanders can predict that bloomberg might spend a ton of anti-trump money anyway--so he risks very little in rejecting the funds.  they both get to maintain a certain purity while working together against the far right.  this seems fairly obvious?  

I think Bloomberg made the statement some time ago, and a reporter asked him, what if Sanders wins? Bloomberg said he would support whoever won the nomination.

I heard a report today, not sure if it was on the radio in my car on CBC or from watching CNN, that a Bloomberg campaign person responded by saying if Sanders doesn't want the support he assumed Bloomberg wouldn't force it on him. I don't know what that means, though, because Bloomberg sounds like he really wants to defeat Trump.

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Insufficient imagination here.  The Monday after the Superb Owl would be a national holiday under my benevolent* reign.  Panem et circenses, baybee.

*Benevolence defined by reference by what could be rather than what is.  Applies only to those who agree with me. Cannot be combined with any other offer.  Prices and terms subject to change.

Just give me my bread and circuses already! Who reads the fine print anyway?

7 minutes ago, sologdin said:

and sanders can predict that bloomberg might spend a ton of anti-trump money anyway--so he risks very little in rejecting the funds.

Yes this entire thing right now is all politics from each camp.  Bloomberg can either put up or shut up if (when) Sanders is the nominee, the money he's talking about was never going to go directly to the Sanders campaign or even his official PAC anyway.  Pretty strict limits on that.  It's all Super PAC money anyway, which is "indirect" supposedly. 

Bloomberg already promised he'd invest as much as $1 billion no matter which candidate is the nominee.  No point in getting into the weeds about it now, that's just for people on the internet.  Either he's a man of his word when Bernie is the nominee, or he's not.  Bernie can't stop him even if he wanted to.  So, this is basically Sanders calling Bloomberg's bluff.  And good for him.

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Insufficient imagination here.  The Monday after the Superb Owl would be a national holiday under my benevolent* reign.  Panem et circenses, baybee.

May I make a few suggestions.

Each NFL team should have one white collar criminal. They are easily recognizable by htem being explicitly forbidden to wear helmets (if you odn't outlaw helmets altogether).

If they succesfully play 2 full seasons, they should be pardoned. A new and special holliday, likesay  national concussions day would make the perfect occasion.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I should like to offer my services to the dictatorship I accidentally incited. I'm willing to accept a number of job titles "Minister of Propaganda" or "Thought Police Chief" are perfectly acceptable.

So long as my true work as

Hide contents

goes unopposed then I'm at your disposal boss!

You're hired.  I'm more of a Lady Tremaine type myself.  We'll work well together.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Don’t you realize every despot holds elections?

I don't do meaningless gestures.  We'll have important elections.  Like for American Idol.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Acceptable. However, Duke chokes a lot, so if they lose on the first Thursday, we still get the Friday off, right?

(statement made at court)

“All hail Dear Leader MZ!”

(statements made in private down by the docks)

“Once the coup is complete, we throw the body in a river of Stella.”

Yes, official day of mourning.  And what a way to go....reminds me of a certain prince of england and a vat of malmsey.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Each NFL team should have one white collar criminal. They are easily recognizable by htem being explicitly forbidden to wear helmets (if you odn't outlaw helmets altogether).

If they succesfully play 2 full seasons, they should be pardoned. A new and special holliday, likesay  national concussions day would make the perfect occasion.

way too complicated.  Also, by that point, I will have eliminated white collar crime (and criminals), just don't question my methods.

Separately, a lot of US law firms have started officially panicking (cancelling events, restricting travel, etc.).  Mine has not.  I'm hoping hysteria is in control by mid-March because I have a spring-break trip with my kids to go on!

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Why does Warren only have 20% support in Mass? Seems weird to me that she and Sanders together are about 40% in a super liberal state.

From MA. It's super liberal in the cities and more importantly out in the middle of the state with Amherst/Northampton. Suburbs are somewhat moderate/conservative and the then there are little Kennedy strongholds that still remain. 

Also people don't vote on total ideology. Obama's still popular and he was a Democrat, that helps Biden there. Things like that. 

31 minutes ago, sologdin said:

how bona fide is bloomberg's offer? it's not like the cappies are wanting a leftwing president. 

I think it's legitimate. Bloomberg would have a problem with Sanders, but he offered it to everyone - Warren included - and everyone else said 'yep'. Given that Warren is, if anything, harder on the cappies than Sanders is in her policy proposals I think this indicates it's a legitimate offer.

31 minutes ago, sologdin said:

bloomberg knew it would be rejected, so he can make the offer with no risk of funding a lefty.  and sanders can predict that bloomberg might spend a ton of anti-trump money anyway--so he risks very little in rejecting the funds.  they both get to maintain a certain purity while working together against the far right.  this seems fairly obvious?  

Obvious, yet evidence suggests that it's inaccurate.

47 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Bars of soap, wrapped in towels. At dawn.

Lol, why so small? I want to see Henry running through the secondary wielding a chainsaw.

40 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Rich having a German try to improve a game based on military tacticians. :lmao:

I thought you learned you can conquer through economics, not warfare.

30 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ok. Multiple shooting fatalities at the Molson-Coors plant in Milwaukee.

See @Mlle. Zabzie, don't make jokes about Coors being flat. Could make a man go postal after all. 

In other news, confirmation that our president literally is being treated like a child by those around him:

WASHINGTON – A former White House doctor says that while he regrets being unable to get President Donald Trump to exercise more, he did manage to slightly improve the president's diet. 

"The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to," retired Navy Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson told The New York Times

"But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes."

Jackson did not say whether the president, now 73, was aware the vegetable had been added to his starchy side, the Times reported.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/02/26/ronny-jackson-efforts-improve-trump-diet/4878600002/

Watching the press conference on the virus really highlights how competent everyone on the stage is except for the one at the top. He rambled his way through an opening, bragged about how US is number one rated in preparation before listing the ones ranked below us (because why?). 

It also might be my bias, but there seemed like too much fawning over the president’s leadership in this hard time until we get to the actual doctors and they were just down to business, as they should be.

Man, I just want a competent leader at this point. If it’s Bloomberg, then it’s Bloomberg, but it just can’t be Trump anymore, ok?

eta: god, his press conference is worse. It’s just ego on display, not that it’s a surprise. The really only useful thing he’s said is wash your hands.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Yes this entire thing right now is all politics from each camp.  Bloomberg can either put up or shut up if (when) Sanders is the nominee, the money he's talking about was never going to go directly to the Sanders campaign or even his official PAC anyway.  Pretty strict limits on that.  It's all Super PAC money anyway, which is "indirect" supposedly. 

Bloomberg already promised he'd invest as much as $1 billion no matter which candidate is the nominee.  No point in getting into the weeds about it now, that's just for people on the internet.  Either he's a man of his word when Bernie is the nominee, or he's not.  Bernie can't stop him even if he wanted to.  So, this is basically Sanders calling Bloomberg's bluff.  And good for him.

We do see his bona fides; bloomb even admitted last night that he regards his 'donations' as buying the Congress for the Dems (plus we know he's bought a lot of the Dem mayors's election campaigns across the US, which is why so many support him -- and it seems quite likely he bought the $1500 + tix to the CBS debate last night, thus the cheers and the boos where one would not expect).  Buying the Oval Office is easy after that.

~~~~~~~~~

In the meantime, if any Dem by any means, gets into the Oval Office s/he will preside over a nation of mud and ashes.  Dumpster is even using the covid-19 possible crisis as a means to plunder ever more of the national health safety nets under the rubric of 'keeping the nation safe.'  Where have we seen this before?

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

-- and it seems quite likely he bought the $1500 + tix to the CBS debate last night, thus the cheers and the boos where one would not expect). 

Oh, fuck this conspiracy bullshit. Tickets were never, ever, EVER for actual sale. Let's try to actually traffic in something vaguely adjacent to facts?

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Oh, fuck this conspiracy bullshit. Tickets were never, ever, EVER for actual sale. Let's try to actually traffic in something vaguely adjacent to facts?

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/25/21153769/south-carolina-democratic-debate-tickets

Also, those reports from yesterday and today, until just now, didn't contradict the sale price of tix.  So stop being silly and yelling at me.  I know how bloomb operates, and he did start to say last night -- I HEARD HIM, like millions did, start to say 'bought'-- and then stumbled and changed to donated.  It's in the record.  So why would he not have done this?  He's done plenty else and is still doing it.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/25/21153769/south-carolina-democratic-debate-tickets

Also, those reports from yesterday and today, until just now, didn't contradict the sale price of tix.  So stop being silly and yelling at me.  I know how bloomb operates, and he did start to say last night -- I HEARD HIM, like millions did, start to say 'bought'-- and then stumbled and changed to donated.  It's in the record.  So why would he not have done this?  He's done plenty else and is still doing it.

So just so we're clear - despite every official saying they did not sell the tickets, the actual site saying they don't sell tickets, Bloomberg saying he didn't pay anyone to attend, and no one else claiming that they bought tickets - and with the only substantive evidence being that tickets IN GENERAL are advertised on that site, but that advertisement was taken down - you believe it was bought.

Yeah, this election is gonna go super well. 

Archived