Jump to content
Fragile Bird

US Politics: What goes up, must come down!

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, lancerman said:

You'd be so surprised how many people don't know a thing about politics.

No I wouldn’t. I’m the one who maintains that the average American is lazy, greedy and dumb. Just a few posts ago I highlighted that polls regularly find that a majority, and often a super majority, of Americans can’t even name the three branches of government. An overwhelming majority of American adults would absolutely bomb an intro to high school civics test if they had to take one right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

What an idiot. Sanders gets to keep his purity and in the mean time we lose the House, Senate, Census, redistricting, courts, civil rights, environmental protection and democracy. Someone need to teach Bernie how to play chess.

You don't any of that with certainty, yet you keep stating it as if it's cast in stone and should be everyone's foregone conclusion.

On the Eve of the 2016 GE did your crystal ball tell you Trump would beat Hillary? I doubt it, you were likely as fooled as everyone else.

We are still way too far out to say with any certainty who will win the November election and the down ballot races. 2016 taught us the msm general consensus should be taken with a grain of salt. Especially the "Sky is falling/Chris Matthews" type of prognosticators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mexal said:

You know shits fucked up when people are advocating authoritarianism to drive a revolution and ignoring 2000 years of the same thing happening... dictator or monarch comes into power, friends of dictator or monarch prosper, everyone else suffers, people die, dictator or monarch rules until overthrown after countless atrocities. Yup, that’s the answer to our prayers. Bring it on. We deserve what we get.

I would like to clarify my own statement in response to this reasonable comment.

There are a lot more ways to have a democratic society than what we live in now. Despotism is probably the only way that any significant social or environmental changes would stick in America. One person with one vision who is empowered to do what is necessary, "representative" societies have been saved by such actions before. 

Trouble is, the amount of people who can be handed absolute power and then proceed to give it up when the crisis ends is... limited. We in America don't have a society that produces the kind of people who would do something for the greater good while being ambitious while also not turning into a tyrant and they probably need to be a genius or something too. We make ambitious people who say things like "I shouldn't have to pay taxes so that I can support my local orchestra!" 

 

So for my part, when I say something like "I would want a Despot," it's entirely academic to me because that person will never present themselves. I may not have responded to Ripp's comment with the seriousness it deserved and I think you made a great post Mexal.

For the record.

Edited by Jace, Basilissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically we need another Cincinnatus or George Washington; a once-every-2000-years figure who has or is offered absolute power and voluntarily gives it up. 

No big deal. I'm sure we'll find someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fez said:

So basically we need another Cincinnatus or George Washington; a once-every-2000-years figure who has or is offered absolute power and voluntarily gives it up. 

No big deal. I'm sure we'll find someone.

Hah, I was in the middle of typing EXACTLY the same thing.  I'd like to volunteer myself for absolute power.  Most of you and yours will be fine.  Pinky swear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fez said:

So basically we need another Cincinnatus or George Washington; a once-every-2000-years figure who has or is offered absolute power and voluntarily gives it up. 

No big deal. I'm sure we'll find someone.

In this instance I was thinking Fabius. Someone who can recast these endless defeats into a strategy.

But yeah, it's a tough position to fill. Lots of applicants, few fits.

Eta: stupid phone correcting words that are correct

Edited by Jace, Basilissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Hah, I was in the middle of typing EXACTLY the same thing.  I'd like to volunteer myself for absolute power.  Most of you and yours will be fine.  Pinky swear.

Pinky swear? 

Because if you support my mandatory Taco Tuesday initiative once every two weeks I’ll throw my military might behind you 40%!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

Pinky swear? 

Because if you support my mandatory Taco Tuesday initiative once every two weeks I’ll throw my military might behind you 40%!

DOUBLE Pinky Swear.  Part of my platform is to support Taco Tuesday initiatives commensurate with the level of support received in exchange therefor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

DOUBLE Pinky Swear.  Part of my platform is to support Taco Tuesday initiatives commensurate with the level of support received in exchange therefor.

So now the negotiations begin........

I will raise my military assistance up to 70% for a guaranteed TacoTuesday every other Tuesday, and sometime Friday/Saturday. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

So now the negotiations begin........

I will raise my military assistance up to 70% for a guaranteed TacoTuesday every other Tuesday, and sometime Friday/Saturday. 

Every OTHER Tuesday?

Dude, at least aim for the moon before we hand over all power to Dear Leader Zabzie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Every OTHER Tuesday?

Dude, at least aim for the moon before we hand over all power to Dear Leader Zabzie.

I ain’t a Saint (though I support them). Tacos every Tuesday is too much for me.

So I’m trying to get us tacos every 10 days.

Is that so bad?

 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the "despot" discussion is not meant particularly seriously, but I kind of want to air some thoughts on the topic any way. I think that in many ways, a benevolent climate-preserving dictator is not just unlikely, the concept contains a fundamental logical contradiction. The reason the climate crisis is so intractable at the moment is because any viable solutions will require major social and economic changes, in a way that will massively reduce the wealth and power of the most powerful people and institutions in the world. They don't want that, so those changes don't happen.

So where does our climate saviour despot get their power to enact these changes from? Not from those who already have it, they would resist. The only way for someone like that to gain power is through a mass popular movement. And if we have a mass popular movement, then there's no need for a despot, we can make the changes democratically (meaning not necessarily through existing political institutions, but with democratic support).

Of course, the danger is that a popular movement could just as easily be a reactionary nationalist movement as a progressive socialist one. Ecofascism is something we should all be very concerned about.

The only way the climate crisis will be genuinely tackled is through a popular movement. But we need to be very careful about what form that movement takes.

Edited by Liffguard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to the speech when this "despot" will declare in Congress, to the sound of thunderous applause, that this Republic will be re-organized into the first AMERICAN EMPIRE!!! to save and secure our society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

I understand the "despot" discussion is not meant particularly seriously, but I kind of want to air some thoughts on the topic any way. I think that in many ways, a benevolent climate-preserving dictator is not just unlikely, the concept contains a fundamental logical contradiction. The reason the climate crisis is so intractable at the moment is because any viable solutions will require major social and economic changes, in a way that will massively reduce the wealth and power of the most powerful people and institutions in the world. They don't want that, so those changes don't happen.

So where does our climate saviour despot get their power to enact these changes from? Not from those who already have it, they would resist. The only way for someone like that to gain power is through a mass popular movement. And if we have a mass popular movement, then there's no need for a despot, we can make the changes democratically (meaning not necessarily through existing political institutions, but with democratic support).

Of course, the danger is that a popular movement could just as easily be a reactionary nationalist movement as a progressive socialist one. Ecofascism is something we should all be very concerned about.

The only way the climate crisis will be genuinely tackled is through a popular movement. But we need to be very careful about what form that movement takes.

The other issue is it's a world issue, not any one country. A climate-preserving dictator in the US doesn't actually save the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The other issue is it's a world issue, not any one country. A climate-preserving dictator in the US doesn't actually save the world.

No worries. I'm sure UN security forces will quickly unite us into a one world government under our dear leader.

The New World Order is nigh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bimonthly offer of Taco Tuesdays is an interesting first step, but my support cannot be committed until we at least do one thing everyone can agree on: move the Superb Owl to a freaking Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The bimonthly offer of Taco Tuesdays is an interesting first step, but my support cannot be committed until we at least do one thing everyone can agree on: move the Superb Owl to a freaking Saturday.

Fuckin'-A!

Now THAT'S a revolution I can get behind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The bimonthly offer of Taco Tuesdays is an interesting first step, but my support cannot be committed until we at least do one thing everyone can agree on: move the Superb Owl to a freaking Saturday.

Insufficient imagination here.  The Monday after the Superb Owl would be a national holiday under my benevolent* reign.  Panem et circenses, baybee.

 

*Benevolence defined by reference by what could be rather than what is.  Applies only to those who agree with me. Cannot be combined with any other offer.  Prices and terms subject to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Fuckin'-A!

Now THAT'S a revolution I can get behind!

Oh you want a real revolution worthy of this new world?

Give them weapons. No guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Insufficient imagination here.  The Monday after the Superb Owl would be a national holiday under my benevolent* reign.  Panem et circenses, baybee.

 

*Benevolence defined by reference by what could be rather than what is.  Applies only to those who agree with me. Cannot be combined with any other offer.  Prices and terms subject to change.

"Stands behind Mlle. Zabzie with arms crossed looking fierce"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×