Which of Baratheon brothers you respect the most

Putin

39 minutes ago, fire&blood said:

Just here to see all the Stannis stans go ape about how awesome he is :fencing:

It’s not hard to do that. What did Renly ever do that compares to Stannis? And Robert might have achieved more but he’s a complete train wreck of a man who sowed a lot of the seeds which resulted in the War of the Five Kings, and who knows what else will come in the subsequent books. 
But I’ll refrain from gushing and simply say that while Stannis is a flawed man, I respect him the most of the three Baratheon brothers.

Robert, by far...not because he is great man, in fact he is worthy less than a penny, but his brothers are just so much worse.

Stannis is a kinslayer, hypocrite, selfserving, selfish prick, that burns people alive, that needs to eat more humble pies than the rest of the characters in the book combined... he is a bad father, a bad husband and a worse man.

Renly was mocking Shireen for her greyscale, his thoughts of people that were loyal to him like Brienne speaks tons of his character (or lack of it). Renly was a usurper with no regard for the law or the people.

If you ask me about the Baratheon bro i like the most it would be Robert no doubt... but respect...

I don't really respect either of them.

I can't stand Robert's self pittyness and cowardice and abuse.

I can't stand Stannis entitlement and post hoc rationalizations.

I can't stand nothing about Renly.

They were all charismatic leaders but...

15 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Stannis is a kinslayer, hypocrite, selfserving, selfish prick, that burns people alive, that needs to eat more humble pies than the rest of the characters in the book combined... he is a bad father, a bad husband and a worse man.

Renly was mocking Shireen for her greyscale, his thoughts of people that were loyal to him like Brienne speaks tons of his character (or lack of it). Renly was a usurper with no regard for the law or the people.

Pretty much this.

15 minutes ago, James Steller said:

And Robert might have achieved more but he’s a complete train wreck of a man who sowed a lot of the seeds which resulted in the War of the Five Kings, and who knows what else will come in the subsequent books. 

Pretty much this. But Robert did not sow much, Stannis silence did the work for the Lannisters, that  and the fact that he left his brother to die.

2 hours ago, Putin said:

So we have Robert , Stannis  and Renly.

We know about their deeds in books , personality , appearance , history , behaviour.

So which one of those 3 you respect the most ?

I am not impressed by the Baratheon brothers.  Renly might get a little respect from me.  At least he was too young to get involved in the rebellion.  I can't really fault him for jumping ahead of Stannis.  After all, his older brothers stole the kingdom from the Targaryens.  It set a dangerous precedent, the rebellion did.  So if they could do it, why not him.  That's a reasonably valid reasoning.  

3 hours ago, Putin said:

We know about their deeds in books , personality , appearance , history , behaviour.

I guess if I have to pick one it would be Renly. 

He seems to have done the least damage & without Renly eating that damn peach we wouldn't get some of my favorite Stannis lines. 

46 minutes ago, Jean-Louis Schiffer said:

I am not impressed by the Baratheon brothers.  Renly might get a little respect from me.  At least he was too young to get involved in the rebellion.  I can't really fault him for jumping ahead of Stannis.  After all, his older brothers stole the kingdom from the Targaryens.  It set a dangerous precedent, the rebellion did.  So if they could do it, why not him.  That's a reasonably valid reasoning.  

The main responsibility for the downfall of the Targaryens lies with... wait for it... the Targaryens! If only there were more Targs like Baelor Breakspear instead of all the Aerys, Maegor, Viserys, and all the other lunatics, things might have gone differently. 

1 hour ago, Jean-Louis Schiffer said:

Robert stole nothing, he fought to survive a mad man that wanted his head for no reason and a horny entitled prince that stole his bride... the fact that he had the best claim after those lunatics were just his bad luck... Robert never wanted the throne and hated being king.

4 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:
5 hours ago, Jean-Louis Schiffer said:

Robert stole nothing, he fought to survive a mad man that wanted his head for no reason and a horny entitled prince that stole his bride... the fact that he had the best claim after those lunatics were just his bad luck... Robert never wanted the throne and hated being king.

Oh, well said! I couldn’t agree more. I think I *like* Robert best but definitely *respect* Stannis more.

In modern terms Robert would be a better coworker but Stannis would be a better boss. 

3 hours ago, Reekazoid said:

Oh, well said! I couldn’t agree more. I think I *like* Robert best but definitely *respect* Stannis more.

In modern terms Robert would be a better coworker but Stannis would be a better boss. 

Somehow I doubt that. Stannis mutilating Davos does not strike me as great boss behaviour, burning alive his Hand, his in-law uncle, does not strike be as being a great boss. Burning other vassals for them protecting their religious beleifs is also not something I would want in a boss.

Stannis is an authoritarian in his leadership, there is not much room for his subordinates to act on their own. On top of that he, personally, is not the easiest to get along with.

To top it off he a nepotist. Davos, as great as he is, could barely read, had no real qualifications to be the Hand. He was given the job over more qualified members, members who had given a lot more to Stannis' cause than Davos. Even Stannis can see he's not qualified as while Davos' job title has changed, his job description has not. He's doing in ADWD what he was doing in ACOK, going to Lords on behalf of Stannis asking for help.

As a boss, modern day or medieval, I'd much prefer Robert or Renly to Stannis.

11 hours ago, Putin said:

Robert. Simply for his accomplishments. First non-Targaryen to sit the Iron Throne. Almost 20 years of rule, with relativity little warfare and fairly prosperous.

Obviously he's not without his faults, but he's achieved the most.

10 hours ago, James Steller said:

It’s not hard to do that. What did Renly ever do that compares to Stannis?

He united a larger faction through his political acumen, resulting in the largest army seen in Westeros history. That is something Stannis would not be capable of doing. If it was not for magic Renly would be King and Westeros would be in a more harmonious position than it currently is.

On the whole I'd put Stannis in second place, over Renly, simply because Renly died young and Stannis' extra decade (and counting) life has allowed him to achieve more. Stannis' starring role in the Greyjoy Rebellion is enough to give him second place.

13 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Robert, by far...not because he is great man, in fact he is worthy less than a penny, but his brothers are just so much worse.

What did Renly speak about Brienne ?

What makes Robert so much better than Renly in your opinion ?

Can you explain reasons why you consider Stannis so selfish.

11 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I guess if I have to pick one it would be Renly. 

He seems to have done the least damage & without Renly eating that damn peach we wouldn't get some of my favorite Stannis lines. 

Yes Renly had done the least damage but surprisingly people (readers) don´t really like him, 

36 minutes ago, Putin said:

Yes Renly had done the least damage but surprisingly people (readers) don´t really like him

I don't mind him. He isn't like my favorite character or anything but he does laugh at Joffrey for getting disarmed by a little girl so that's a point in his favor. 

33 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I don't mind him. He isn't like my favorite character or anything but he does laugh at Joffrey for getting disarmed by a little girl so that's a point in his favor. 

On the other hand he does mocks his own niece... That's like -3000000000000000 points.

5 minutes ago, shameeka said:

Personally, I look at how a person treats his family or people around him when I judge if I respect them or not. In that aspect, Renly is closest to earning my respect. He did think that Brienne was absurd, but at least on the outside he was civil to her.

Did he? I don't remember him thinking Brienne was absurd. Or getting his thoughts at all on Brienne. 

Archived