What are Jon's reasons to fight his warg nature?

Nagini's Neville

"The gift was strong in Snow, but the youth was untaught, still fighting his nature when he should have gloried in it."

A Dance With Dragons, prologue

Is it just connected to his personality, that he doesn't like to "lose control" and that it is frightening to him? That he doesn't want to feel any more "not normal" as he already does at times, because he is a bastard? Other possible reasons?

If you just want to stop by to communicate how much you hate Jon Snow, could you please do that somewhere else! Thanks :)

28 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

"The gift was strong in Snow, but the youth was untaught, still fighting his nature when he should have gloried in it."

Is it just connected to his personality, that he doesn't like to "lose control" and that it is frightening to him? That he doesn't want to feel any more "not normal" as he already does at times, because he is a bastard? Other possible reasons?

If you just want to stop by to communicate how much you hate Jon Snow, could you please do that somewhere else! Thanks :)

I don't think Varamyr was saying "fighting it" in the sense of actively resisting it. He just hasn't given himself over to it or recognized the truth of it yet. 

Jon has had no teacher. If he was exiled as a child to some warg living in a hut somewhere, he would be a top warg by now. But wargs are not tolerated south of the wall, so all the Stark kids had to figure it out for themselves. Once Jon becomes aware of his warging abilities, he accepts them even though he doesn't quite know how to use them.

4 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

But wargs are not tolerated south of the wall, so all the Stark kids had to figure it out for themselves. Once Jon becomes aware of his warging abilities, he accepts them even though he doesn't quite know how to use them.

But Arya and Bran seem to warg much more often, than Jon does and there was no one there to teach them and I think that's interesting given, that Varamyr thinks Jon is a "strong" warg

21 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

But Arya and Bran seem to warg much more often, than Jon does and there was no one there to teach them and I think that's interesting given, that Varamyr thinks Jon is a "strong" warg

In fairness, Jojen did what he could to teach Bran (remember the bit where Bran was complaining that Jojen was always nagging him to bring things back when he was in Summer?), and he didn't really get any control until Hodor, which happened in a pretty desperate moment, and Arya, as far as we know, didn't start actively skin-changing cats till she was blind, which was probably a big push.

I don't think Jon is consciously fighting his ability; I think it just hasn't occurred to him he has any control over it. There's that one passage where he's thinking to himself what a bad warg he is, because he has no idea how to purposely skin-change Ghost. It's possible Jon is subconsciously holding himself back, but I think it's also possible that Varamyr is making assumptions based on his own experience--as Varamyr's skin-changing ability is the ONLY thing that gives him any power of any kind, he probably doesn't have the empathy to get his head around the idea that Jon may just not yet have been in a situation where he really needed to get inside Ghost.

1 hour ago, Nagini's Neville said:

If you just want to stop by to communicate how much you hate Jon Snow, could you please do that somewhere else! Thanks :)

:lol: :cheers:

24 minutes ago, Therae said:

In fairness, Jojen did what he could to teach Bran (remember the bit where Bran was complaining that Jojen was always nagging him to bring things back when he was in Summer?), and he didn't really get any control until Hodor, which happened in a pretty desperate moment, and Arya, as far as we know, didn't start actively skin-changing cats till she was blind, which was probably a big push.

:agree:

I don't think Jon is consciously fighting his ability; I think it just hasn't occurred to him he has any control over it.

I agree he’s not deliberately fighting it. 

There's that one passage where he's thinking to himself what a bad warg he is, because he has no idea how to purposely skin-change Ghost.

I don’t remember this?

It's possible Jon is subconsciously holding himself back, but I think it's also possible that Varamyr is making assumptions based on his own experience--as Varamyr's skin-changing ability is the ONLY thing that gives him any power of any kind, he probably doesn't have the empathy to get his head around the idea that Jon may just not yet have been in a situation where he really needed to get inside Ghost.

Yeah, I agree. 

I think the fact that Jon hasn’t had a proper teacher/guide is important here. But he is becoming more and more aware... First when he’s been apart from Ghost in ASoS, and he goes north of the Wall to ponder Stannis’s offer and he starts to feel like Ghost before he actually sees him, that’s a nice passage.

“He wanted it, Jon knew then. He wanted it as much as he had ever wanted anything. I have always wanted it, he thought, guiltily. May the gods forgive me. It was a hunger inside him, sharp as a dragonglass blade. A hunger . . . he could feel it. It was food he needed, prey, a red deer that stank of fear or a great elk proud and defiant. He needed to kill and fill his belly with fresh meat and hot dark blood. His mouth began to water with the thought.
It was a long moment before he understood what was happening. When he did, he bolted to his feet. “Ghost?” He turned toward the wood, and there he came, padding silently out of the green dusk, the breath coming warm and white from his open jaws. “Ghost!
he shouted, and the direwolf broke into a run. He was leaner than he had been, but bigger as well, and the only sound he made was the soft crunch of dead leaves beneath his paws. When he reached Jon he leapt, and they wrestled amidst brown grass and long shadows as the stars came out above them. “Gods, wolf, where have you been?” 

Jon said when Ghost stopped worrying at his forearm. “I thought you’d died on me, like Robb and Ygritte and all the rest. I’ve had no sense of you, not since I climbed the Wall, not even in dreams.” The direwolf had no answer, but he licked Jon’s face with a tongue like a wet rasp, and his eyes caught the last light and shone like two great red suns.
Red eyes, Jon realized, but not like Melisandre’s. He had a weirwood’s eyes. Red eyes, red mouth, white fur. Blood and bone, like a heart tree. He belongs to the old gods, this one. And he alone of all the direwolves was white. Six pups they’d found in the late summer snows, him and Robb; five that were grey and black and brown, for the five Starks, and one white, as white as Snow.
He had his answer then.”

And another nice bit happens in ADwD.

“Jon smelled Tom Barleycorn before he saw him. Or was it Ghost who smelled him? Of late, Jon Snow sometimes felt as if he and the direwolf were one, even awake. The great white wolf appeared first, shaking off the snow. A few moments later Tom was there. “Wildlings,” he told Jon, softly. “In the grove.”

So, he is leaning, and doesn’t seem to be fighting it at all. I also think Borroq might become important in Jon’s near future. ;)

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t remember this?

This was what I was thinking of:

In the dark, the direwolf's red eyes looked black. He nuzzled at Jon's neck, silent as ever, his breath a hot mist. The wildlings called Jon Snow a warg, but if so he was a poor one. He did not know how to put on a wolf skin, the way Orell had with his eagle before he'd died. Once Jon had dreamed that he was Ghost, looking down upon the valley of the Milkwater where Mance Rayder had gathered his people, and that dream had turned out to be true. But he was not dreaming now, and that left him only words. - SoS, Jon I

I agree with you that Jon is aware and learning more, and Boroq should become important (otherwise, why even have him at the Wall?). And I imagine that the situation Jon is in where the books have left him will probably provide the push towards deliberately skin-changing. :cheers:

2 minutes ago, Therae said:

This was what I was thinking of:

I agree with you that Jon is aware and learning more, and Boroq should become important (otherwise, why even have him at the Wall?). And I imagine that the situation Jon is in where the books have left him will probably provide the push towards deliberately skin-changing. :cheers:

I had misunderstood what you meant a little bit. Cheers for the passage, I now get what you were saying. I see that as Jon questioning the whole thing, exactly b/c he doesn’t have a guide, so to speak. But it’s from then on that he starts ro learn and understand his gift better.  :)

He's not trying to resist it but he's not actively trying pursue it. He does enter Ghost's mind accidentally a couple of times, but he's not actively doing it like Bran does with Summer or Arya does with the cat.

But the Wall is not a place where he can just warg to practice. There are Black Brothers whispering behind his back about it, Janos Slynt says the mark of the beast is on him to try and hinder him. So it's not exactly an environment that's conducive in allowing him to try out those abilities and he doesn't have anyone to mentor him but I imagine that will change in Winds. 

Well I think it's because he does't want to repeat Robb's mistakes. I mean all the poor Freys he tried to kill by warging into Grey Wind, forcing them to kill him in self defense. He probably learned this from Rhaegar Frey when he went to visit the Wall. What else could Rhaegar have been doing in ADWD, after disappearing from the Manderly moving court?

Jon doesn't want to be a beastling freak. Nobody who understands what a warg and skinchanger is does want to be such a person because they are not exactly loved or well-liked in the society they live - they are ostracized even by the wildlings, forced 'to live with their own kind', and we have no idea what the Northmen or other Westerosi do with skinchangers they have found out (chances are that they are very rarely treated nicely).

I imagine they are likely driven out of villages and are forced to live in the wild as the most best treatment they could hope for ... and the worst being stoned or burned alive as witches and monsters. Any person being able to possess animals (and some even people) would be scary as hell to normal people, considering that would mean they could spy on you or attack you in the guise of animals. That's not the kind of person you would want to suffer in your midst (unless you need them - which Mance did in his war).

The Stark children are allowed their wolf pets because they are Starks and the whims of the nobility are suffered to a point. But no one thought Robb might be a skinchanger - he just had a smart direwolf by his side. If they had thought he might be a warg, the Red Wedding may not have been necessary to end his reign.

20 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Jon doesn't want to be a beastling freak. Nobody who understands what a warg and skinchanger is does want to be such a person because they are not exactly loved or well-liked in the society they live - they are ostracized even by the wildlings, forced 'to live with their own kind', and we have no idea what the Northmen or other Westerosi do with skinchangers they have found out (chances are that they are very rarely treated nicely).

And yet, even though we have some of Jon’s thoughts on the matter we never, not once, get anything even close to this. The rest is just assumptions.

I imagine they are likely driven out of villages and are forced to live in the wild as the most best treatment they could hope for ... and the worst being stoned or burned alive as witches and monsters. Any person being able to possess animals (and some even people) would be scary as hell to normal people, considering that would mean they could spy on you or attack you in the guise of animals. That's not the kind of person you would want to suffer in your midst (unless you need them - which Mance did in his war).

The Stark children are allowed their wolf pets because they are Starks and the whims of the nobility are suffered to a point. But no one thought Robb might be a skinchanger - he just had a smart direwolf by his side. If they had thought he might be a warg, the Red Wedding may not have been necessary to end his reign.

Same here, assumptions and more assumptions, since we don’t actually see anything remotely close to what you say. Also, Orelll and Borroq seem to be well integrated into ff society, it’s only Varamyr that is ostracised, and that’s more b/c he’s a nasty creep rather than a skinchanger.

6 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Oooh great question....

I'm inclined to agree with @Lord Varys

But I do feel that, while Jon isn't actively fighting against his skinchanging powers or beating himself up about it, he is avoiding it with all of his might. I think he, in particular, is scared of both the social stigma (if he, as a highborn bastard, can avoid additional stigma...) and the actual power of skinchanging.

Honestly, most people - even in a well-adjusted society where superhuman abilities are common - would find the power of telepathy, astral projection, clairvoyance and mind control a little creepy. It's one thing to be easily capable of feats of strength that a team of 20 grown men would find impossible or to be immune to fire, heat and smoke damage. It's another thing to have the ability to become anything you want at any given time and intrude on people's most intimate, private spaces: their headspace.

Bran, Arya and Robb (even Lyanna and Brandon) don't seem to have such a block because of both their upbringing, social standing and natures are contrary to Jon's. Rickon is likely the only one who will see skinchanging in the same vein as breathing given the fact that he has essentially raised himself and is little more than a baby.

The one who has the most in common with Jon as far as skinchanging goes is Sansa and Sansa's power is dormant because she has been a prisoner of so long and that there have been no animals close enough for her to connect and bond him.

On another note, skinchangers are so common to the Stark family, I am beginning to wonder if Lord Rickard and his ancestors knew all that was going on.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And yet, even though we have some of Jon’s thoughts on the matter we never, not once, get anything even close to this. The rest is just assumptions.

Even when people push him nose first on the fact that he is a warg and skinchanger he doesn't accept that. He doesn't want to be that kind of person. He has a connection to Ghost but that's all he wants to have.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Same here, assumptions and more assumptions, since we don’t actually see anything remotely close to what you say. Also, Orelll and Borroq seem to be well integrated into ff society, it’s only Varamyr that is ostracised, and that’s more b/c he’s a nasty creep rather than a skinchanger.

Borroq is a loner who doesn't live with people. Only freaks are encouraged to live on the lichyard, I'd say. On what do you base the bold assumption that Orell was 'well integrated into society'?

It is an assumption what I think Northmen and other Westerosi would do to beastling freaks they discovered in their midst, yes. But it is not an assumption that wildlings do not suffer such freaks in their midst. They do not kill them on sight, but they cut ties with them and foce them to live among their own (i.e. we can say the wildlings are as 'kind' to skinchangers as medieval Christianity was to the Jews they 'encouraged' to 'live among their own' in ghettos).

We do know that the wildlings consider the skinchangers freaks because Varamyr's parents do no longer want to have anything to do with their child and hand him over to Haggon as if he were a freak and not a normal human being (and they are correct there).

Varamyr was not 'a nasty creep' as a child - he did something ugly as a child when the dog killed his brother, but that's not very different from Bran possessing Hodor and using him to watch Meera like a, you know, creep (especially since one has to take into account that the beast always changes the man - skinchangers are no longer normal human beings, they merge their spirits with those of animals and are thus no longer human the way non-skinchangers are). This is the classical 'invisibility corrupts' plot - skinchangers can do things normal people cannot - you can never know whether they do not watch and overhear and spy on you 24/7 - which is precisely what many of them do, especially the worst kind of skinchangers, the greenseers. There is a reason why the original First Men killed every greenseer they could lay their hands on - not just because their were Children and their mortal enemies but also because every sane normal person would consider someone with the unnatural powers of the greenseers and skinchangers a monstrous freak, and affront to humanity. Nobody likes people who can know everything about you and use that against you.

11 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Oooh great question....

I'm inclined to agree with @Lord Varys

But I do feel that, while Jon isn't actively fighting against his skinchanging powers or beating himself up about it, he is avoiding it with all of his might. I think he, in particular, is scared of both the social stigma (if he, as a highborn bastard, can avoid additional stigma...) and the actual power of skinchanging.

He isn't actively fighting it, he is just ignoring it. And that seems to be enough. Skinchanging is not something you *have to do* even if you have the talent. Sansa is a skinchanger, too, apparently, but her powers are very much dormant, at least at this point.

Honestly, most people - even in a well-adjusted society where superhuman abilities are common - would find the power of telepathy, astral projection, clairvoyance and mind control a little creepy. It's one thing to be easily capable of feats of strength that a team of 20 grown men would find impossible or to be immune to fire, heat and smoke damage. It's another thing to have the ability to become anything you want at any given time and intrude on people's most intimate, private spaces: their headspace.

See above. This is the worst part of that. And it is no coincidence, I'd say, that Brynden Rivers never told anyone outright that he was a skinchanger (assuming he ever learned that while he lived at court) nor is it a coincidence that people spying on other people (like Tyanna of the Tower and Bloodraven) are vilified as skinchangers (i.e. people being able to talk with and use animals to spy on other people and ferret out their secrets).

This is just a horrifying thought for most people, especially in the civilized lands south of the Wall. But even the wildlings don't suffer skinchangers in their midst. One expects that they are only suffered up there because the lands are thinly populated and there is still space for skinchangers 'to make their own thing' away from 'decent normal people'.

The good folk of the Seven Kingdoms would likely not suffer a skinchanger who had 'come out' in their villages and towns. Exceptions would, of course, be skinchangers born in the elite or such who became useful tools in the hands of the nobility and royalty. But even they would likely need to keep a low profile and rub their true nature in everybody's face or risk that a mob puts them down.

On another note, skinchangers are so common to the Stark family, I am beginning to wonder if Lord Rickard and his ancestors knew all that was going on.

There is not the slightest indication that there was ever a Stark skinchanger before Ned's children. I expected there to be some Starks who were rumored to be skinchangers/wargs in the distant past but there is literally nothing about that in TWoIaF. Not even anything about Starks keeping wolves as pets or something like that (like the Lannisters once kept lions).

This talk about the wolf's blood seems to be about a character trait which is common in the Stark bloodline, not anything about a magical talent.

And as Varamyr's inability to father another skinchanger (and the fact that neither his parents nor his siblings were skinchangers) as well as Bloodraven's lessons to Bran indicate skinchanging and greenseeing is not 'a genetic magical talent' - it is something that arbitarily pops up in the population of both Children of the First Men and humans. It is 'a gift of the gods' in this sense, basically.

14 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

We do know that the wildlings consider the skinchangers freaks because Varamyr's parents do no longer want to have anything to do with their child and hand him over to Haggon as if he were a freak and not a normal human being (and they are correct there).

But he is allowed to live among the wildlings as an adult right? Mance & Co don't seem to view him as a freak or an outcast. 

14 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Even when people push him nose first on the fact that he is a warg and skinchanger he doesn't accept that. He doesn't want to be that kind of person. He has a connection to Ghost but that's all he wants to have.

I don't think we can say that with any certainty. We have Jons thoughts & he doesn't think or say anything like this. 

20 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Bran is a cut above everyone. He is likely to be something above a greenseer, and he has had both Jojen and the 3EC teaching him. But Arya doesn't seem much more advanced than Jon. She's had a couple of wolf dreams, but so has Jon.

P.S.: In what way are you Nagini's Neville? If you are the Neville that killed Nagini, wouldn't that just make you Neville?

14 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

But he is allowed to live among the wildlings as an adult right? Mance & Co don't seem to view him as a freak or an outcast. 

Varamyr takes the right to live among the wildlings by using his power to make himself 'a lord of sorts'. He does not live among the wildlings, he rules a bunch of them. And Mance uses him and Orell later as an asset for his war which they are all part of because their fear of the Others override their differences. The natural state of skinchangers is that they are ostracized and forced to live among their own. They are freaks who are treated like freaks, not normal people.

And we have every reason to believe that the people of the Seven Kingdoms are even less accepting of skinchangers than the wildlings are. Although as I said, we don't really know how family and neighbors treat skinchangers they discover in their midst. I'd expect, though, that the people are even less understanding than the wildlings are.

14 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I don't think we can say that with any certainty. We have Jons thoughts & he doesn't think or say anything like this. 

It is an extrapolation. We do know Jon doesn't think of himself as a warg or skinchanger nor does he want to explore that side of himself. Else he would have reacted more positively whenever he was called warg/skinchanger or when people were implying his connection with Ghost, etc. gave him great power. But he completely ignores that kind of thing. It is not something he wants to be - and it is very understandable why he doesn't want to be such a freak. He is already a freak as a bastard and has no need to become a freak in other avenues as well. He wants to be a normal guy.

Even Bran doesn't want to be the kind of creature he is - he only consents to become something like that because he is a cripple and being a greenseer/skinchanger is better than remaining just a cripple.

But we can be reasonably sure that a healthy Bran would have been as willing to entertain the notion of becoming such a freak as Jon and Sansa are right now.

Arya just takes this road because she is backed against a wall, too. It is her blindness that really brings forth the gift that she has. Prior to that she just has the same kind of dreams Bran had originally and Jon has occasionally.

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

But no one thought Robb might be a skinchanger - he just had a smart direwolf by his side. If they had thought he might be a warg, the Red Wedding may not have been necessary to end his reign.

His wife thought something. Probably his Frey squire too.

Hence the story that that one Frey told Davos and Wyman

16 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

And yet, even though we have some of Jon’s thoughts on the matter we never, not once, get anything even close to this.

Idk, Jon doesn't seem to happy about it

What everyone knows is that Ser Alliser is a knight from a noble line, and trueborn, while I'm the bastard who killed Qhorin Halfhand and bedded with a spearwife. The warg, I've heard them call me. How can I be a warg without a wolf, I ask you?" His mouth twisted. "I don't even dream of Ghost anymore.

22 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

. The natural state of skinchangers is that they are ostracized and forced to live among their own. They are freaks who are treated like freaks, not normal people.

South of the wall, yes (you say probably, which i guess is accurate, but I say yes). North, sometimes. 

"He is a warg," said the Lord of Bones, "and a crow. I like him not."

"A warg he may be," Ygritte said, "but that has never frightened us." Others shouted agreement.

24 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

It is an extrapolation. We do know Jon doesn't think of himself as a warg or skinchanger nor does he want to explore that side of himself. Else he would have reacted more positively whenever he was called warg/skinchanger or when people were implying his connection with Ghost, etc. gave him great power. But he completely ignores that kind of thing. It is not something he wants to be - and it is very understandable why he doesn't want to be such a freak. He is already a freak as a bastard and has no need to become a freak in other avenues as well. He wants to be a normal guy.

Even Bran doesn't want to be the kind of creature he is - he only consents to become something like that because he is a cripple and being a greenseer/skinchanger is better than remaining just a cripple.

But we can be reasonably sure that a healthy Bran would have been as willing to entertain the notion of becoming such a freak as Jon and Sansa are right now.

I agree

26 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Arya just takes this road because she is backed against a wall, too. It is her blindness that really brings forth the gift that she has. 

They say Brans the man for the job, but can he skinchange across the narrow?

I cant but help feeling that her hearing and smelling and, uh feeling, is not up to Faceless standard. She cheated, this isnt some stupid pop quiz, its preparation to make sure shes ready

28 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Varamyr takes the right to live among the wildlings by using his power to make himself 'a lord of sorts'. He does not live among the wildlings, he rules a bunch of them. And Mance uses him and Orell later as an asset for his war which they are all part of because their fear of the Others override their differences. The natural state of skinchangers is that they are ostracized and forced to live among their own. They are freaks who are treated like freaks, not normal people.

But what makes you say that? Is the only evidence the way Varamyrs family reacted? Or is there something else in the text that points towards them being ostracized?

Is there a "camp" of skinchangers living on their own somewhere? 

29 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

And we have every reason to believe that the people of the Seven Kingdoms are even less accepting of skinchangers than the wildlings are. Although as I said, we don't really know how family and neighbors treat skinchangers they discover in their midst. I'd expect, though, that the people are even less understanding than the wildlings are.

I guess it's a fair assumption but yeah, we don't really know. 

30 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

He ignores it & I'll agree he wants to be a normal guy, I just mean we don't really have his views on skinchangers to say he thinks of them negatively. 

30 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I always got the impression Bran did want to be what he is - but I find Brans chapters incredibly boring & may have missed his negative thoughts on being a greenseer/skinchanger. 

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Sansa didn't really get a chance but I think Bran might have been willing enough even if he wasn't crippled. I don't really see any reason why not, I guess. 

I don't know I just don't see the negativity surrounding being a skinchanger that you do. Maybe I just missed it. The only negative thing I remember is Varamyrs families reaction. I'll do some wiki search though & get back with ya. 

33 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Arya just takes this road because she is backed against a wall, too. It is her blindness that really brings forth the gift that she has. Prior to that she just has the same kind of dreams Bran had originally and Jon has occasionally.

Yeah, I think in Aryas case it is something to give her a leg up, a little more power, so she latches on readily enough. Besides that she has never been as worried about how other people view her as Sansa or Jon. 

5 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

What everyone knows is that Ser Alliser is a knight from a noble line, and trueborn, while I'm the bastard who killed Qhorin Halfhand and bedded with a spearwife. The warg, I've heard them call me. How can I be a warg without a wolf, I ask you?" His mouth twisted. "I don't even dream of Ghost anymore.

@Hugorfonics That doesn't read to me like Jon isn't liking it very much. It sounds to me like he is missing his wolf & thinks the people saying he is a warg are mistaken - How can I be a warg without a wolf? 

7 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

He is a warg," said the Lord of Bones, "and a crow. I like him not."

"A warg he may be," Ygritte said, "but that has never frightened us." Others shouted agreement.

This seems to indicate they aren't bothered by wargs. 

24 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Idk, Jon doesn't seem to happy about it

Very much disagree here. The quote you provided does nothing to prove that Jon isn’t “happy about it”. 

Archived