US Politics: Pandemic Political Petard

Kalbear

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Are there a lot of Covid cases in Mexico? Why would the US close the southern border?

If Trump thinks the stock markets are going to like this press conference, I think he's wrong.

2 confirmed, I'm sure there's no way it's a convenient cover for racism or to delay accommodating all the asylum seekers made to wait in Mexico.

5 hours ago, Durckad said:

Pfft. Do you think a silly question such as 'Where is the money going to go go to?' would stop the Trump Administration?

Anecdotally, I heard a coworker last week saying this exact thing. So yes, the stupid is out there.

And I just read a post from one of the chat rooms I frequent blaming the Chinese citizens themselves for not ousting their totalitarian government and using this as a basis to reel against immigration in general. 

I am sad to say I know this person to be genuine in his views. 

34 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

Do any of you all insiders know much about a Buttigieg surge?  My wife and I are feeling his strong Christianity could very much carry him in SC today.  

Maybe among white non-evangelicals in SC, which would comprise a very small portion of the SC Democratic electorate.

4 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Maybe among white non-evangelicals in SC, which would comprise a very small portion of the SC Democratic electorate.

43 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

Do any of you all insiders know much about a Buttigieg surge?  My wife and I are feeling his strong Christianity could very much carry him in SC today.  

Vegas has him at +10000 to win SC, so hey, why not throw a couple bucks at it?

43 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

Minority voters don't like him due to his atrocious record on race, and I think that the "I like him because he is a good Cristian boy" crowd are more likely to hold him being gay against him than being drawn to him for his faith.

49 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

It's the South and he's gay. These states were always going to be a hurdle for him. 

NPR -- an hour of coverage talking about what the South Carolina means -- which is, since the polls haven't even close, they are talking entirely possibilities for every candidate as to what a win or a lose could mean.  It's 100% unadulterated bs with no utility whatsoever. feh>spit :bs:

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Are they closing the northern border, too? Pretty sure Canada... o fuck it, why bother.

And air travel should ... wait, that would actually inconvenience people and really hurt the economy so, no.

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It has slowed down significantly this afternoon.  We’ve had about 700 voters total.

How are you live updating? When I’ve worked polls we had a ban on using electronics. I couldn’t even read my kindle at down times because it could possibly connect to the internet. We weren’t allowed to leave the premises, either. I’m guessing you’re on a break? Mostly just curious as to how different states handle things.

And sorry to trigger you with the mention of my beloved e-book :p

26 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

How are you live updating? When I’ve worked polls we had a ban on using electronics. I couldn’t even read my kindle at down times because it could possibly connect to the internet. We weren’t allowed to leave the premises, either. I’m guessing you’re on a break? Mostly just curious as to how different states handle things.

And sorry to trigger you with the mention of my beloved e-book :p

They let out to quickly eat.  The poll clerk brought chili.  :)

Well I just got canvassed by a Sanders supporter here in Virginia. Nice enough guy, seemed a little nervous; might be new to it. It was notable to me though since I've never been canvassed in-person in the 11 years I've lived in the state; not even for a general election (though I'm such a certain voter that'd be a waste to do anything for a general election). I've also gotten text messages from the Klobacher and Bloomberg campaigns. I'm a little surprised by that one. IIRC, my phone number was never attached to my political donations, only my email addresses, so I'm not sure where they would've gotten the number from. Bloomberg probably just bought some commercial number database, but I'm not sure what Klobacher might've done. I've also gotten over dozen mailers from Bloomberg this week; none from anyone else.

Meanwhile, I've got a bunch emails from the Biden campaign, and only the Biden campaign (plus all the generic DNC/DCCC/DSCC emails); though those have just been fundraising appeals. I assume his campaign got my email from one of the Democratic listservs. But the only ones I'm on/orgs I've donated to, are the DNC, the 2016 Clinton Campaign, Obama's 2008 and 2012 campaigns, and Kerry's 2004 campaign. I don't think Biden would have special access to any of those email lists, but I'm not sure why his is the only campaign to email. Just like I'm not sure why Klobacher and Bloomberg are the only ones to text. I can easily imagine that Sanders has more volunteers on the ground though, hence the canvassing. And they might've just gotten my address from the voter roles, if no where else.

None of it actually matters though. I'm not donating to anyone until there's a nominee. And I made up my mind last week that I'm voting for Biden on Tuesday. I'm not happy about it, but after Bloomberg's terrible debate and stall-out in the polls, I think Biden is the only one besides Sanders with a shot at the nomination. Sorry Amy; I'd have been there for you if you were viable.

Archived