US Politics: Pandemic Political Petard

Kalbear

31 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Youth turnout isn't "down". It was actually up in both New Hampshire and Nevada, if I recall correctly, but that doesn't fit the media narrative, so it got ignored.

My google-foo doesn't seem to be working. I remember watching CNN where they talked about the fact Sanders got the biggest share of the youth vote, and I vaguely remember them saying the numbers were up, but I cannot find a story about how much the numbers were up. Do you have a link setting it out?

What I do see is the fact that the 18 to 25 crowd that loves Bernie only makes up 16% of the voting population, and the middle-aged and senior crowd far outnumber them.

I also saw this in a New Yorker Intelligencer piece:

"Among young people, entrance poll data showed that the share of those voters remained essentially unchanged across the three early states. Participation was basically flat in precincts and townships in New Hampshire and Iowa where 18- to 24-year-olds made up more than 50 percent of the population."

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/could-youth-vote-offset-bernies-weaknesses-in-november.html

Just now, Kalbear said:

Awesome for Biden. 

Buttigieg is still on the ballot in all Super Tuesday states, so that won't help Biden all that much.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Mayor Pete just suspended his campaign.

His support was pretty even between Warren, Sanders, and Biden and he was tanking nationally. I think this will most likely just separate Sanders and Biden more from Bloomberg and Klobuchar further and might have a small chance of keeping Warren on some life support 

I’m reading folks say that Bernie is a lot of Pete supporters second choice with Biden, Warren and Bloomberg clustering behind. Is. That just wishful thinking or borne out by polls? I do remember that earlier polls were showing a weird crossover that didn’t necessarily break down as moderate/progressive.

The pundits on CNN just said, basically this holds up.

Every vote for Mayor Pete is a vote for Biden.

Every vote for Steyer is a vote for Biden.

Every vote for Amy is a vote for Biden.

Every vote for Bloomberg is a vote for Biden.

Noting, of course, it isn't 100%, but darn high probability. And they should get out of the race asap.

3 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I’m reading folks say that Bernie is a lot of Pete supporters second choice with Biden, Warren and Bloomberg clustering behind. Is. That just wishful thinking or borne out by polls? I do remember that earlier polls were showing a weird crossover that didn’t necessarily break down as moderate/progressive.

According to Morning Consult as of two days ago, 21% of Buttigieg's supporters go to Sanders, 19% to Biden, 19% to Warren, and 17% to Bloomberg. 

https://morningconsult.com/2020-democratic-primary/

5 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Most polls on the matter describe that as the situation. 

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The pundits on CNN just said, basically this holds up.

Every vote for Mayor Pete is a vote for Biden.

Every vote for Steyer is a vote for Biden.

Every vote for Amy is a vote for Biden.

Every vote for Bloomberg is a vote for Biden.

Noting, of course, it isn't 100%, but darn high probability. And they should get out of the race asap.

The pundits on CNN used to say the same thing about Trump’s opponents when he ran 

Even if only some fraction of Pete's voters go to Biden, if it's enough to put him into viability of any states that he wasn't, that'd be a huge boon to him. Worth it even if overall Sanders gets a larger share of Pete's voters (and I've no idea if he will)

6 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

So, how would Trump evade term limits, assuming he lasted that long? Interesting article, but not sure any of these strategies really apply here in the U.S. Only the court option is something that could even remotely happen. 

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago and think it has to be a situation where it keeps the status quo on his side - that makes it so the police/military/secret service/whoever are the ones that are taking the first "violent" step. No one wants to be the first one to start shooting or anything like that, so even when it's obviously illegitimate if it's non violent and can be stretched to still be the status quo it flips that pressure onto those that would oppose him.

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Klobuchar drops out Wednesday?

I would think so. She knows she can't win the primary, but she has to know dropping out would likely give Bernie Minnesota, and I think that she and the rest of the establishment wants to deprive him of any potential pickups he may get.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The chatter around coffee after mass here north of the wall was mainly about Covid-19 and Trump appointing Pence.

There was a lot of speculation that Trump appointed Pence so that if there is a huge outbreak of cases, Trump has a scapegoat. He'll then dump Pence and pick a new running mate.

I had been seeing stories about rumours Trump wants to dump Pence for months now. What do you all think about that?

That's an interesting question.  Pence has been mostly off the radar.  Havent heard he's been disloyal in any way really so I'd tend to discount that he's on the chopping block. 

Was kind of figuring the appointment was to elevate his profile.  

What would be the logistics of changing the Vice President candidate at this point?  Basically a free hand as the primaries are only for President right?

Protesters Turn Their Backs on Bloomberg at Selma’s Bloody Sunday Church Service

https://www.thedailybeast.com/protesters-turn-backs-on-bloomberg-at-selmas-bloody-sunday-church-service?ref=home

Nearly a dozen attendees at a Selma church service commemorating the 55th anniversary of Bloody Sunday turned their backs on presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg as he spoke to the congregation. The parishioners of the historic Brown Chapel AME Church stood in protest as Bloomberg asserted the need to tackle racial and economic disparities throughout the country. During his tenure as New York mayor, Bloomberg implemented a much criticized stop-and-frisk policy, which targeted black and brown citizens and which a federal court determined to be racially discriminatory.

5 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I would think so. She knows she can't win the primary, but she has to know dropping out would likely give Bernie Minnesota, and I think that she and the rest of the establishment wants to deprive him of any potential pickups he may get.

Yeah, I fully expect her to drop out on Wednesday. Maybe even Tuesday night. I don't think Warren drops out though, unless maybe she gets blown out in Massachusetts. And I assume Bloomberg will stay in as well, even though his campaign is pointless now that Biden has apparently resurrected his campaign. 

And who knows or cares what Tulsi Gabbard will do.

Buttigieg has pretty clearly been smarming for VP spot with both Biden and bloomb.

Nobody hardly ever noticed Steyer was in -- the media sure didn't! -- and nobody hardly notices he's quit either.

If Warren and Klobuchar go out, and we're left with three Bs and all that matters then is money money money, and who has the most.  feh>spit.

OR --

Archived