US Politics: Pandemic Political Petard

Kalbear

17 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

That's not what states rights mean, you silly goose!

(Tongue firmly in cheek).

How dare you refer to my fellow Minnesotan as “goose.” He’s a grey duck!!! You all have been playing the game wrong!!!!! Duck, duck, goose is for uncultured swine!!!!!!!! Whereas duck, duck, grey duck is a cerebral  game for only the cleverest of minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, Fez said:

Republican priorities. It's so far beyond a joke at this point...

Tax Cuts! That'll solve this virus problem.

That is so wrong and misleading and incorrect.

The thoughts of tax cuts are just the first step.

The second step was Mike Pence being appointed to deal with the corona virus. Which he will do now. He will pray like really hard to make it go away.

So the strategy can be described as Thoughts and Prayers. Works with guns, will work with corona.

Questions for the more bible reading folks, which horseman was pestilence again?

22 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Questions for the more bible reading folks, which horseman was pestilence again?

Death, the only one given a name. That's the passage that the phrase "Death rides a pale horse" comes from. 

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/the-four-horsemen-of-the-apocalypse

Bah!:

Washington (CNN)A federal appeals court Friday dismissed the US House of Representatives' lawsuit seeking to force former White House counsel Don McGahn to testify, in a major win for the White House in its attempts to block officials from testifying to Congress.

In a 2-1 decision, the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled it wouldn't police the standoff between the House Judiciary Committee and the White House.

"If federal courts were to swoop in to rescue Congress whenever its constitutional tools failed, it would not just supplement the political process; it would replace that process with one in which unelected judges become the perpetual 'overseer' of our elected officials. That is not the role of judges in our democracy, and that is why Article III compels us to dismiss this case," Judge Thomas Griffith wrote in the opinion.

The case has tested whether the White House could block its current and former officials from speaking to Congress.

However, by ruling that it doesn't have the authority to handle this case, the court didn't make a decision on the validity of the White House's sweeping claim of "absolutely immunity" for its current and former officials

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/politics/mcgahn-testimony-ruling/index.html

ETA:

Idk why it's putting the lines through parts of the post, but can't fix it.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

How dare you refer to my fellow Minnesotan as “goose.” He’s a grey duck!!!

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

That's the passage that the phrase "Death rides a pale horse" comes from. 

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, and I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Death. And Hell followed with him.

What is the economic / political upside?  They get to gut all federal programs in the name of keeping America safe, while everyone who isn't important -- income below a couple of million, who isn't white and male (with a protected breeding / servant female population) -- and viola! all borders sealed and these old white men and their (white*) servants are safe inside.  Who needs to go anywhere when there's digital technology.

* The most expensive, luxury good in the US history of slavery were white  female slaves -- the females had been generationally effed by gross white men for so many generations they were white skinned, blue-eyed and blonde-haired -- but still black because their umptieth grandmother had been a black slave -- one drop, condition of the child follows that of the mother, not the father, as in other situations.

See -- Thomas Jefferson's family and his wife's family in which there were families of slaves that  were concubines of the male members. Sally Hemings was the daughter of Martha Jefferson's  enslaved half sister, Betty.

2 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Starting to wonder - if the stock market continues to tank, maybe Trump will demand a bailout?  And given that their feeding from the same trough, maybe the corporate type Dem's would go along with such? 

If Pelosi gave him a bailout, I would want charges brought against her as an enemy of the people.

9 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Starting to wonder - if the stock market continues to tank, maybe Trump will demand a bailout?  And given that their feeding from the same trough, maybe the corporate type Dem's would go along with such? 

Honest question - who's getting bailed out?  With TARP in 2008 it was clear, and they've paid it back and then some.  I don't know who's supposed to bailed out here.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/02/28/coronavirus-cancel-travel/?

In the meantime though, all the restaurants in my nabe are packed with the normal Friday night drinkers and diners.

I'm not sure what you want the federal government to do?  Nationalize airlines?  They've all been "bailed out" plenty of times, sure.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I'm not sure what you want the federal government to do?  Nationalize airlines?  They've all been "bailed out" plenty of times, sure.

Has nothing to do with me -- just a response to the question as to what will get bailed out this time around. Every industry in the country will demand bail out and succor from the federal funds for their losses in this.  The travel industry is at the top of the list that will demand -- which with the aviation industry, already a wreck thanks to Boeing's behaving just like the dumpsters etc. with the virus -- will be at the top.

Also, its interesting that today the corps have decided their employees are not to travel.

Mick Mulvaney Claims The Media Is Covering Coronavirus Only To ‘Bring Down’ Trump
Major media have been covering the COVID-19 coronavirus since January, when a widespread outbreak began in Wuhan, China, before spreading globally.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mick-mulvaney-donald-trump-coronavirus-response_n_5e593351c5b6beedb4ea5211

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mick-mulvaney-donald-trump-coronavirus-response_n_5e593351c5b6beedb4ea5211

WTF. It's the media and a natural disaster. Of course they can't help themselves.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

That said, I saw a devil's advocate type of opinion the other day that this might boost Trump because of the globalization / human fear of the other, etc...

Meh possibly. Catastrophe can make people more inclined to authoritarianism, and paranoid.

This could be blamed on a covert attempt by China to stifle America’s economic activity.

Plenty people(mostly right-wingers) believe Climate-change is a Chinese-hoax, or use the justification of China’s existence for why they should do nothing.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will witness the signing of a U.S.-Taliban agreement on a withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, President Donald Trump said on Friday, heralding an agreement that could help his re-election campaign.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-28/us-sees-significant-reduction-in-afghan-violence-over-last-six-days
Although always glad to see the US take steps to remove itself from fruitless war(at least for now), and I do hope the agreement stands, but the idea it’d help Trump does leave a slight bitter taste.

War-time presidents tend benefit in terms of popularity(initially at least), how much would this agreement help Trump? 

Archived