US Politics: Pandemic Political Petard

Kalbear

15 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will witness the signing of a U.S.-Taliban agreement on a withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, President Donald Trump said on Friday, heralding an agreement that could help his re-election campaign.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-28/us-sees-significant-reduction-in-afghan-violence-over-last-six-days
Although always glad to see the US take steps to remove itself from fruitless war(at least for now), and I do hope the agreement stands, but the idea it’d help Trump does leave a slight bitter taste.

War-time presidents tend benefit in terms of popularity(initially at least), how much would this agreement help Trump? 

If it turns out to be a steady reduction of troops?  A bit.  But I'd imagine it would really only help him with people who were on the fence / looking for an excuse to stay with Trump.

Eta: Can't believe we've been there so long.  911 seems like yesterday in a lot of ways.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

Honest question - who's getting bailed out?  With TARP in 2008 it was clear, and they've paid it back and then some.  I don't know who's supposed to bailed out here.

Pfft. Do you think a silly question such as 'Where is the money going to go go to?' would stop the Trump Administration?

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

This could be blamed on a covert attempt by China to stifle America’s economic activity.

Anecdotally, I heard a coworker last week saying this exact thing. So yes, the stupid is out there.

42 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

War-time presidents tend benefit in terms of popularity(initially at least), how much would this agreement help Trump? 

I think if you polled likely voters, the vast majority would be surprised to learn we are still in Afghanistan.  Plus, the rally round the flag effect usually happens when presidents make war.  Peace agreements?  Psh.  Real Americans wipe their ass with peace agreements.

5 hours ago, Triskele said:

I've seen a lot of buzz about the virus hurting Trump politically, and there do seem to be signs from a lot of Trump people like Mick and Don Jr. that they're concerned about this.  

That said, I saw a devil's advocate type of opinion the other day that this might boost Trump because of the globalization / human fear of the other, etc...

Sure hope that's not true, and I also do not hope that anyone is harmed by the virus for the sake of hurting Trump as Don Jr says.

I sure do think that it looks beyond horrible that they cut the bejeezus out of the CDC, and I hope that stings for them.  But it sucks that there could be actual suffering on a mass scale that could have been prevented.  

A big part of Republican strategy in the 2014 was immigrants, and yes ISIS fighters, crossing the southern border and bringing Ebola virus. It seemed very silly at the time. But, yes they won that election. 

Trump did not have as much luck with his Caravan story though. Remember how much he flogged that?

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

911 seems like yesterday in a lot of ways.

The day it all changed forever, bringing the initiation of the US as a police state.

By now there is a significant percentage of the US population that has grown up with the idea that TSA lines and 'real identity' etc. are natural and normal.

The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq didn't make either their citizens or ours safer.  But! it made possible bloomb manipulating the NY City rules to buy himself a prohibited third term of mayor, in which he consolidated NYC as a Luxury Brand City for the wealthy and impossible to afford for everybody else (and palled around with you-know-who and other like-minded).

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We’ve had a line for three hours.  Just eating breakfast.  To be clear the wait is maybe 10 mins but we’ve been pretty busy.  And I’m in Greenville, probably the most Republican part of the State.

I spent a month in and around Greenville ten years ago, beautiful area.  I heard that the county closed 50+ polling locations since 2016, has anybody mentioned any difficulty in finding where they're supposed to be? 

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We’ve had a line for three hours.  Just eating breakfast.  To be clear the wait is maybe 10 mins but we’ve been pretty busy.  And I’m in Greenville, probably the most Republican part of the State.

So ... are the voters then mainly Rethugs voting Operation Chaos for Bernie in the Dem primary?

~~~~~~~~

Posters here may be interested in this long coverage article in New York Magazine about bloomb and his campaign; he's been trying to figure out getting the presidency for quite a few years now.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/mike-bloomberg-2020-campaign.html

19 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I spent a month in and around Greenville ten years ago, beautiful area.  I heard that the county closed 50+ polling locations since 2016, has anybody mentioned any difficulty in finding where they're supposed to be? 

Yes, there has been some grumbling along those lines.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So ... are the voters then mainly Rethugs voting Operation Chaos for Bernie in the Dem primary?

~~~~~~~~

Posters here may be interested in this long coverage article in New York Magazine about bloomb and his campaign; he's been trying to figure out getting the presidency for quite a few years now.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/mike-bloomberg-2020-campaign.html

At least one couple with certainty.

Thank god the gym I'm at is empty, because I'm yelling at the fucking TV for this fucking Trump press conference.

To relate it to current politics, Bernie should show this press conference and use it to promote M4A. Trump fucking literally said "if you're healthy you should be fine". Fuck!

This essentially makes the results out of South Carolina meaningless. It's going to split coverage so the winner will be less likely to get a bounce.

Fuck, I need to get high.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Are there a lot of Covid cases in Mexico? Why would the US close the southern border?

If Trump thinks the stock markets are going to like this press conference, I think he's wrong.

The whole thing is a fucking disaster. I'm way more scared now than I was, because the idiot calling the shots still won't acknowledge the truth.

Archived