US Politics: Pandemic Political Petard

Kalbear

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Did projections that Clinton was going to win help Trump win?  Maybe.

@DMC  bait

ETA:  Slate, free clicks

The headline of this article is an example of one of the main problems the article itself discusses as it seems to particularly blame Nate Silver and 538. Here is the relevant paragraph:

To be clear, the authors do not intend their analysis as an attack on Silver, who was arguably the most cautious forecaster during the 2016 election. (FiveThirtyEight also did present vote-share data; it just was hidden behind a separate tab on the site.) At the time, Silver made it clear that his work was complex and that it did not by any means say that Clinton was a shoo-in for the presidency. But Silver’s work was amplified by other news outlets, and during that amplification, some of that nuance was lost.

So the nuance of this article was also lost in the headline. 

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

<snip>.

I've gotten texts from Sanders and Warren, but I put my number in when I donated.  Also got a text from Bloomberg right after he announced, have definitely never donated to him, and they used my middle name, which was weird but not that weird.

Eta: Warren's team stopped texting after I told them I was voting for Sanders, but instill get automated donation text requests from her team every couple days.

Just now, larrytheimp said:

Wonder if it's skewed since they closed a third of the country precincts?

Who fucking knows. Any vote is essentially invalid if we don't actually let everyone vote.

South Carolina already being called for Biden, and rightly so if the exit polls are correct. Should be a big win for him, but I don't know that it is going to enough to give him real momentum for Tuesday.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

No way Obama endorses. He needs to stay neutral so he can be the voice for party unity regardless of who the nominee is.

Right, I don't think he will; just that Biden still needs either that or Bloomberg dropping out of the race to make it a two person race after ST.

13 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Amy, Pete, and Bloomburg should all quit tonight.

None of them really have an incentive to.

ETA: every single one of them, except maybe Klobuchar, have more money and more organization in Super Tuesday states than Biden does, so none of them will drop out between now and then, because none of them can say Biden will benefit from a big bounce.

It'll be interesting to see how much this effects the race. It certainly helps Biden, but Super Tuesday is in a couple of days and Sanders is poised to win California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Virgina, Utah, and Texas. If he pulls that off, that could be game set match. More interestingly, Biden is only really competetive in Texas of those states. The rest even if Sanders gets upset, it's not going to be by Biden. It's going to be by someone else which will give someone else credibility to stick around, which I think the more people in this race, the more it hurts Biden.

43 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Right, I don't think he will; just that Biden still needs either that or Bloomberg dropping out of the race to make it a two person race after ST.

If I was Joe Biden, I'm calling in every favor have with Obama for that. Because right now he just showed some life, but he's poised to take a bit of a butt whooping in several days that's going to make people forget about tonight. An Obama endorsement would be a game changer for him

For the anti Bernie Crowd you really needed someone or two to drop out after Nevada and another one or more to drop out after SC. I only see Steyer dropping out after tonight and even then I wouldn't get the car on that.

The MSNBC crew haves convinced themselves that Bloomberg will drop out before Tuesday. LOL

Just now, Freshwater Spartan said:

For the anti Bernie Crowd you really needed someone or two to drop out after Nevada and another one or more to drop out after SC. I only see Steyer dropping out after tonight and even then I wouldn't get the car on that.

The MSNBC crew haves convinced themselves that Bloomberg will drop out before Tuesday. LOL

There's a zero percentc hance Bloomberg drops out prior to Super Tuesday when he spent all his money on Super Tuesday. 

Also funnily enough I could see a situation where only Warren drops out after Super Tuesday (because she might lose MA) and that kinda helps Bernie. 

Archived