Altered Carbon Season 2: More Cyber, less Punk

Martell Spy

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

I thought the (going to be vague to avoid spoilers) in the hotel room with the singing was really nicely done. And the shape that leaves on the rest of the story.

Yes, that's true, although

Spoiler

I'd have to rewatch S1, or at least the episodes after Reileen being alive on well on Earth is revealed, to figure out whether there's any hint at all that she had this run in with him before then. Feels like a bit of a retcon.

31 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes, that's true, although

Hide contents

I'd have to rewatch S1, or at least the episodes after Reileen being alive on well on Earth is revealed, to figure out whether there's any hint at all that she had this run in with him before then. Feels like a bit of a retcon.

Having re-watched season 1 just ahead of season 2, it does feel like

Spoiler

it was a bit of a retcon, but maybe it isn't. But not so much about Rei hinting at this run in, but Rei being so merciful towards Holly. I suppose it might have to do with her hate for the Yakuza, and that Holly was their victim. This movie doesn't really give us enough on Rei to determine what she was feeling and what she intended to do about Tak.

Additionally, given how haunted they made Takeshi feel in both seasons, in this one he is just some action guy.

Season 2 was ok although i can't remember the last time i fell asleep so often trying to watch episodes (in fairness I've been ill and sleeping a lot).

One of the main hurdles was buying Mackie as kovacs. It's not down to his acting (i think only exceptional actors can change their charisma) as his character came to life while he was briefly inhabited by someone else and i also bought his more tender moments towards the end.

I think the show works better with a mystery tbh but I'm glad they are playing with the format. Despite the season feeling weaker, I'm still interested in the setting and curious about the directions they could take it given the ending. I do feel like the story could have been better given the 2 year wait though.

Will give the animated film a go eventually.

Archived