Werthead

Formula One 2020

Rosberg, the Greece (euro football) of racing champions. 

I noticed there's a lot of speculation on whether Ferrari should drop vettel for the rest of the season. Seems harsh but red bull would have at this stage. I think if he has signed with alfa Romeo it may be a good thing for him and Ferrari to sit the rest of the season out. Something has clearly gone wrong there beyond just car performance. I think there's been a complete breakdown in communication and drive.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

I noticed there's a lot of speculation on whether Ferrari should drop vettel for the rest of the season. Seems harsh but red bull would have at this stage. I think if he has signed with alfa Romeo it may be a good thing for him and Ferrari to sit the rest of the season out. Something has clearly gone wrong there beyond just car performance. I think there's been a complete breakdown in communication and drive.

Racing Point. Vettel wouldn't consider going to Alfa under any circumstances.

If Perez is still out, Vettel could go to Racing Point now and Ferrari could call up Hulkenberg (they probably couldn't call up Sainz early without spending a lot of money) for the rest of the season. Then when Perez is back, Vettel can take an extended break or RP can pay Perez off.

I agree at the moment that it seems unlikely that Ferrari and Vettel can continue for another 10-12 races with this level of pure dissatisfaction going on. That said, Ferrari said this morning they found some damage on Vettel's car that had passed scrutiny, so they're going to completely replace the entire chassis. Could be a move to help Vettel save face, but it'll only work if he comes back this weekend and has a much better result.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Greece beat Portugal, Spain, France, a then-very-good Czech Republic team and Portugal again to win that cup, hardly fair. It was hardly South Korea in their home world cup, who definitely got the rub of the green in their run to the semi.

I gotta say I can't think of the last a team's won a WC and not been respected for it, but going into that would probably derail the topic for the sake of a point that's perfectly clear even if the analogy isn't true...

Edited by polishgenius

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Greece beat Portugal, Spain, France, a then-very-good Czech Republic team and Portugal again to win that cup, hardly fair. It was hardly South Korea in their home world cup, who definitely got the rub of the green in their run to the semi.

I gotta say I can't think of the last a team's won a WC and not been respected for it, but going into that would probably derail the topic for the sake of a point that's perfectly clear even if the analogy isn't true...

Grinding a "better opponent" down by merit of not crashing/conceding goals and capitalising on opponent errors/bad luck. Also not to repeated with the next opportunity. 

I don't see how beating Hamilton isn't comparable to the teams Greece beat. It still doesn't make for an exciting driver/team. But there are plenty of football teams who are dull to watch but successful. So i stick with the analogy.

I still respect them winning but it was a bizarre championship in which it could happen. As was rosberg needing all other teams to be way off the pace and Hamilton being off his game and apparently cursed.

Edit: but to be fair i can see how you thought i thought what you thought based on wert's original analogy.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Racing Point. Vettel wouldn't consider going to Alfa under any circumstances.

If Perez is still out, Vettel could go to Racing Point now and Ferrari could call up Hulkenberg (they probably couldn't call up Sainz early without spending a lot of money) for the rest of the season. Then when Perez is back, Vettel can take an extended break or RP can pay Perez off.

I agree at the moment that it seems unlikely that Ferrari and Vettel can continue for another 10-12 races with this level of pure dissatisfaction going on. That said, Ferrari said this morning they found some damage on Vettel's car that had passed scrutiny, so they're going to completely replace the entire chassis. Could be a move to help Vettel save face, but it'll only work if he comes back this weekend and has a much better result.

Oops to many teams with double names starting with "a".

I guess the best option is still to give vettel a car he can drive and/or sort his head out but it does look like there are other options. I'd be shocked if sainz were allowed out as that'd cause major disruption in what's already a nessy season let alone having driver musical chairs.

Seems the racing point issue is still being hotly contested. I think the punishment is fair and the logic of it being impossible to make someone design different brake ducts when they already know how to make better ones. You can't really undo the knowledge. Beyond giving all the teams the same info so they can have it too.

Edited by red snow