UK Politics: Drawing Priti Patterns

mormont

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What was the logic in welcoming back people who are anti Semitic?  Why would Corbyn not see that such an action would be perceived as support for anti Semitism?

They supported Corbyn

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s all Corbyn cared about?

people who are a little bit racist don't see themselves as racist, and have a hard time seeing other people as racist unless its very very blatant.   Nor do they see other people being labeled as a racist as these people might be problematic as they themselves have been labeled as racist and they know themselves not to be so defend them and make excuses.

22 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

people who are a little bit racist don't see themselves as racist, and have a hard time seeing other people as racist unless its very very blatant.   Nor do they see other people being labeled as a racist as these people might be problematic as they themselves have been labeled as racist and they know themselves not to be so defend them and make excuses.

:(

31 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Finally we are able to abolish VAT on tampons! Hoorah for Brexit!

Is this a trolling attempt?

Ireland and many other EU member states have zero rates of VAT for certain products.

... the Commission acknowledges that ‘already now the VAT Directive allows Member States to levy a reduced rate to women's sanitary protection items

EU Parliamentary questions.

27 minutes ago, Lykos said:

Is this a trolling attempt?

Ireland and many other EU member states have zero rates of VAT for certain products.

This is one of the big things that went around a few years ago.  we even had a petition about it.  The Government response was Tax on Tampons and Pads was set at 5%  the minimum they could due to EU laws.

This was at the time when we had Cameron was in charge I maybe even with the Libdems in support so we didn't have complete liars high positions.

However this was not a cause championed by any Fararge or any Brexiter or even the daily mail.  Thus most likely true. (and shows they think Fish more important than women)

Edit.   quick fact checking   Ireland has 0% tax on tampons as this was its rate before the EU law came so where excluded from it.

in 2016  a promise from the EU was made to the UK that tampon tax could be eliminated and this is due to happen in 2022.

@Pebble thats Stubby , 5% is the minimum reduced VAT rate according to EU laws, but I'm fairly certain the EU comission would have approved  a zero rate, had the government sought it. Especially for the UK, since the shopping tourism would hae been limited mostly to the Irish women.

A bit redundant after your edit. Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, Lykos said:

@Pebble thats Stubby , 5% is the minimum reduced VAT rate according to EU laws, but I'm fairly certain the EU comission would have approved  a zero rate, had the government sought it. Especially for the UK, since the shopping tourism would hae been limited mostly to the Irish women.

but then we would have had to ask them, instead of assuming we couldn't remove the tax on them at all because of the EU laws.  

but as I said what surprised me most is that none of the Brexit leaders in the referendum banged on about tampom tax considering all the things they totally made up.   The fact its in the budget now is because its an easy win or them and is the benefit from leaving and it shows how nasty the EU is.  

2 hours ago, Lykos said:

Am I telling women what to do if I say the real solution is menstrual cups? That saves a lot of money (for the person and/or the state), and likely has an environmental benefit. My sister discovered them a few years ago and now is telling anyone who will listen of their greatness.

That was concerning. On the news Jeremy Hunt basically said the government's approach is complete BS as social distancing has been, by far, the most successful means of combating the virus spread and the UK government has effectively said it won't be doing that, at all. He looked genuinely scared about it.

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That was concerning. On the news Jeremy Hunt basically said the government's approach is complete BS as social distancing has been, by far, the most successful means of combating the virus spread and the UK government has effectively said it won't be doing that, at all. He looked genuinely scared about it.

That Jeremy Hunt of all people is the one speaking sense is pretty damning to our governement

Stopped Clock...

So with the delay, and subsequent chickening out of any real escalation in our government's response to COVID19 - I guess we've selflessly volunteered for the role of Control Group for future epidemiologists.
It's pretty much inevitable that we'll all have to self isolate at some point.

But I... just hate that term, it's boring, safe, bowing down to authority; so I want some opinions on alternatives.

The best I can come up with are "Exiled for the good of the realm" - sexy, exciting, mysterious
Or "Going to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all this to blow over"

Archived