UK Politics: Drawing Priti Patterns

mormont

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I cant wait to see how we enforce those rules. They leave a lot of wiggle room for the determined fuckwit. 

They'll have to be pretty determined, and expect most of the loopholes to be closed with the usual clarification a few hours later

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

My work closed today anyway. 

Bloody hell this is going to be a shit few months.:frown5:

I was thinking this and we shouldn't belittle the situation - putting essentially the entire UK population under house arrest with exercise time is the most stunning  - but previous generations and in previous centuries we've had far worse shit to go through. This is an extraordinary moment for us, but it is something we can get through.

I'm hoping like hell that the downward trend in Italy is real and will continue, because that will give us real hope that we can overcome this in a  reasonable timeframe (under 2 months) and not taking years to do so.

Just so you all know, I'm not a target driven boss, but every one of my staff will be told to issue 247 fines to wankers who break the rules, per hour. So if you are one of those cretins, avoid NW London. 

I may even get my pen out myself. 

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Doesn’t change my life too much, daily run and shopping trip seems to be my life now anyway. Shame it’s come to this.

Other bit of news, we can stop talking silliness about Boris and power grabbing

You should get deliveries - I only go out for my run and that's it. 

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The realisation that I have just been made bankrupt is quite a sombre one.

Sorry to hear that. 

3 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Sorry to hear that. 

You can service your debts when you have income, but when you are barred from earning the income, the debts remain.

The delivery services are rammed. Tesco, Asda, Ocado etc are pretty much now out of commission. I booked a slot on Wednesday eight days ago and it's been whack-a-mole every single day as stuff goes in and out of the cart.

I have 17 days worth of food, which is a reasonable start, and I might get another week out of this Tesco shop but after that it's going to braving the supermarkets on foot (this isn't new, I've always tried to have 14 days of food at any one time and then shop ahead of that by one or two weeks, ever since I was wiped out for a month by a case of the ordinary flu and then a bronchial infection a few years ago).

There is a local farmer's market which does home orders and also does essentials as well as meat, I'm just waiting to hear from them what their delivery time is. Anecdotally I'm hearing a lot of these small local services have tons of stock and reasonable delivery times, because a lot of people can't seem to use Google. 

I also suspect the supermarkets will be absolutely rammed tomorrow as this reality hits home for people.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I cant wait to see how we enforce those rules. They leave a lot of wiggle room for the determined fuckwit. 

I'm curious how they enforce the one form of exercise per day in particular. Is it just pot luck whether someone recognises that you were out earlier? 

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm curious how they enforce the one form of exercise per day in particular. Is it just pot luck whether someone recognises that you were out earlier? 

I think this is going to be taken somewhat on trust and will be more vigorously enforced if necessary.

I have a garden (a lot of people don't) and a running machine (most people don't) so I probably wouldn't bother. I'm just going to assume I'm in prison, but with my favourite pyjamas, internet access, 300 books I haven't read, 30+ movies on DVD and Blu-Ray I haven't watched and streaming subscriptions.

5 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

Things are going to get very boring.

Unless you or a loved one get the virus, at which point you'll happily swap it for a year of being incredibly bored indeed.

And even if the spread of the virus stopped dead tomorrow, it still has 2-3 weeks for the already-infected to burn through the stages of the virus, so regardless of what happens, the NHS is very much not going to have a boring time for the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just so you all know, I'm not a target driven boss, but every one of my staff will be told to issue 247 fines to wankers who break the rules, per hour. So if you are one of those cretins, avoid NW London. 

I may even get my pen out myself. 

Can you just club them instead?

28 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I was confused for a second, official U.K. PM tweet said that only key workers can go to work ... but while I was posting it here it got deleted. So maybe it was an error. A pretty polished looking gif, but hopefully an error.

Yep, they just sent out the corrected tweet: you can go to work if you can’t work from home. I’m already seeing a lot of confusion about this, they need to make sure everyone understands it.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

If I put in an order now I might get a delivery in 3 weeks if I’m lucky and they’ll substitute toilet paper for a cabbage

In a pinch one can use cabbage leaves to wipe but one cannot eat the TP

Let's be honest, the one form of exercise a day- it really doesn't matter if soemone sneaks out twice, as long as they're sticking to the advice that they shouldn't be going near anyone. The point of putting it that way is really just if you make it sound more strict people are less likely to take absolute liberties and end up outside in hordes for hours. 

Archived