UK Politics: Drawing Priti Patterns

mormont

One thing this will all do is end any and all talk of privatising or part-privatising the NHS for a long, long time to come. I can see front-line health staff having a lot more respect going forwards, and I can't see how the NHS avoids being enlarged and more enthusiastically recruited for in the future. There'll also be arguments about extra capacity. We can't stay on standby for the next pandemic which might not come for 20 or 30 or 80 years, of course, but we can do a lot better than we have in the buildup to this event.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

One thing this will all do is end any and all talk of privatising or part-privatising the NHS for a long, long time to come. I can see front-line health staff having a lot more respect going forwards, and I can't see how the NHS avoids being enlarged and more enthusiastically recruited for in the future. There'll also be arguments about extra capacity. We can't stay on standby for the next pandemic which might not come for 20 or 30 or 80 years, of course, but we can do a lot better than we have in the buildup to this event.

It would be nice if they got a decent pay rise this year to make up for 10 years of shite pay.  I'd give up my 2.5% that i was hoping for if i knew they were getting a proper bump. 

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

There’s something kind of eerie about walking through an almost deserted city centre in the middle of a warm and sunny day

At the minute i can just about cope, I have spent a lot of my time in london at stupid o'clock in the morning when nobody is around, and there are still people here and there currently.  if it goes full on '28 days later' deserted, i think it will start to get to me. 

Parliament expected to close this evening. I did wonder how long it would remain open for. Plans for a managed return around 21st April for the budget legislation. 

Prince Charles has tested positive for Coronavirus too

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Why is the construction industry still going? Seems pretty clear tons of workers are using the tube right now and they are far from essential. 

Because bosses are still telling people to go to work.

Until the sites are made to close they won't.

30 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Why is the construction industry still going? Seems pretty clear tons of workers are using the tube right now and they are far from essential. 

I agree this does seem very odd, I can’t see this loophole staying open for much longer though.

Construction is an enormous chunk of GDP, that why they’re reluctant. I don’t work in construction but I’ve seen a lot of people surprised I’m still working (I work with one, sometimes two people and have no cause to be anywhere near them). Really did throw people, this “if necessary” comment. Mine, my employers and the governments definition of ‘necessary’ would be three very different things.

And as I’ve mentioned, we hadn’t yet seen the results of this level of social distancing. The government want enough to lower the infection rate, not more than that. We know the China method drives it down quickly, and we know that doing nothing escalates it rapidly, but there’s no real data yet on middle ground approaches.

49 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

I agree this does seem very odd, I can’t see this loophole staying open for much longer though.

I can see the tube switching to NHS, emergency service and armed forces only. The hard one will be care workers, especially informal ones who don't have organised ID.

And probably people work in supermarkets and food delivery services. You can see how it'll be hard to check and screen people.

It'd be interesting to see if there'd be an uptick in cycling.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Parliament expected to close this evening. I did wonder how long it would remain open for. Plans for a managed return around 21st April for the budget legislation. 

Prince Charles has tested positive for Coronavirus too

How did he manage to get a test when he only has mild symptoms?

WRT shutting down construction, it's worth noting that a huge proportion of the construction industry is technically self-employed, as dubious as that status is in many cases. And there isn't much support for the self-employed as yet.

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

Because bosses are still telling people to go to work.

Until the sites are made to close they won't.

1 hour ago, Jen'ari said:

This has just been brought up in PMQs and the response was basically *shrug*

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I can see the tube switching to NHS, emergency service and armed forces only. The hard one will be care workers, especially informal ones who don't have organised ID.

And probably people work in supermarkets and food delivery services. You can see how it'll be hard to check and screen people.

It'd be interesting to see if there'd be an uptick in cycling.

It's not even just informal care workers. I've a social worker friend and all her ID says is that she works for a particular council

4 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Don't ask inconvenient questions! 

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

A disgrace. My wife’s a nurse and says there’s not enough to test medical staff. They had two suspected infected patients in theatre (neural) yesterday.

She said there’s already informal talk that they may have to switch to 12 hour shifts when absences rise.

She offered to sleep in the loft to lower chance of infecting me and our daughter (its converted but poorly insulated and has no furniture). I pointed out this could last for months. 

If we didn’t have our daughter, I’d offer to isolate myself in the gaming room (has a sofa bed) and spend the next three months writing and catching up on PS4 games.

2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

How did he manage to get a test when he only has mild symptoms

For the same reasons that in the successive waves of the bubonic plague from the middle of the 14th century until the final one that hit London in 1655, the only royal to die from it was a daughter of Edward III in 1348, on her way to marry the daughter of the King of Spain.

Guess she sacrificed for the grandchildren of her siblings by continuing to do her job as marriage pawn in international politics.

21 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

We are living in a day and age were Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are the elected leaders of their countries. So strange has become a very relative term.

That is the understatement of the year! 

Archived