UK Politics: Drawing Priti Patterns

mormont

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

I'm refusing to panic buy, there's still plenty of food in most stores even if it's not quite what you want. Going into shops near me over the last couple of days though what's with people buying up all the milk and bread? What would you do with more than you'd normally buy anyway?

I doubt cows get Covid-19. They will still produce milk every day. Why stock up?

33 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm refusing to panic buy, there's still plenty of food in most stores even if it's not quite what you want. Going into shops near me over the last couple of days though what's with people buying up all the milk and bread? What would you do with more than you'd normally buy anyway?

Pet food and litter is selling out, even online.

I have been watching the American Coronavirus Task Force update press conferences every day, and  on Monday (I think, the days are running into each other) Trump said "I had a talk with with Boris Johnson". I guess he's claiming he changed the direction of things in the UK.

Anyone discussing this in the press? You guys usually leap on mentions like this, just like we do in Canada.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have been watching the American Coronavirus Task Force update press conferences every day, and  on Monday (I think, the days are running into each other) Trump said "I had a talk with with Boris Johnson". I guess he's claiming he changed the direction of things in the UK.

Anyone discussing this in the press? You guys usually leap on mentions like this, just like we do in Canada.

It’s funny in a dark way. I was home Monday watching it, and every time Trump had to speak at any length the Dow dropped hundreds of points. It would then rebound when the experts spoke, but he’d come on again and it would get even worse. Towards the end it seemed like he finally realized he has no idea what’s going.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s funny in a dark way. I was home Monday watching it, and every time Trump had to speak at any length the Dow dropped hundreds of points. It would then rebound when the experts spoke, but he’d come on again and it would get even worse. Towards the end it seemed like he finally realized he has no idea what’s going.

Yes, I was too! He has been speaking with more confidence though (even if the crap is wrong), far different from the night he finally capitulated and admitted things were getting serious, when he looked like he was numb and stoned.

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Er, no.

It's hard to know for sure but the line in the papers seems to be that a lot of the UK's plans are based around modelling of the potential spread of the virus done by a team at Imperial College London. Apparently they'd initially underestimated the proportion of people who would go on to need care in an ICU after being hospitalised. It's this revised model that's informed the change in stance.

59 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Pet food and litter is selling out, even online.

I mean, that's stupid too but at least those things would last if you buy them in bulk.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I suspect people are freezing it.

I think there's a fear that at some point the food production and supply system is going to hit major problems and stocking up might be a good way of alleviating that. I'm not sure this is based on anything - even an absolute worst-case scenario doesn't take us to the point of the food supply shutting down - but in the UK, thanks to all the Brexit talk, I think people are more acutely aware that Britain doesn't remotely produce enough food by itself to feed its population (unlike Ireland next door, which can feed its entire population ten times over). But again the international food supply system doesn't seem to be imperilled at the moment.

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think there's a fear that at some point the food production and supply system is going to hit major problems and stocking up might be a good way of alleviating that. I'm not sure this is based on anything - even an absolute worst-case scenario doesn't take us to the point of the food supply shutting down - but in the UK, thanks to all the Brexit talk, I think people are more acutely aware that Britain doesn't remotely produce enough food by itself to feed its population (unlike Ireland next door, which can feed its entire population ten times over). But again the international food supply system doesn't seem to be imperilled at the moment.

Yeah far more likely it's because a bunch of selfish idiots who've seen one too many apocalyptic movies and tv shows have taken it upon themselves to ruin things for everyone else, and once they start doing that, then the only other option is to follow suit or you will starve. 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah far more likely it's because a bunch of selfish idiots who've seen one too many apocalyptic movies and tv shows have taken it upon themselves to ruin things for everyone else, and once they start doing that, then the only other option is to follow suit or you will starve. 

Yeah, this pisses me off, when you reach the point that not being a selfish wanksplat is going to actively harm you and your family. Thankfully we arent fussy, and where I work the local shops are still getting supplies in. 

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, this pisses me off, when you reach the point that not being a selfish wanksplat is going to actively harm you and your family. Thankfully we arent fussy, and where I work the local shops are still getting supplies in. 

Yeah the tip about local shops is a really good one, the annoying thing is everyone going to the same large supermarkets and clearing it out. 

But the worst part is that pensioners are the ones being royally screwed here. They are the ones being left with almost nothing to choose from when they get to the shops. Some of the measures like only allowing pensioners to shop at certain hours are really welcome. 

But what this all shows is that this herd mentality (not immunity) is a real problem, and we all suddenly start acting like total bastards when it's our lives on the line. Imagine if things got worse, I think we'd be mugging each other on the street for a bog roll.

Fortunately the head of Tesco (at least) has sent out a message confirming new store policies. Asda and Sainsburys are already doing the same thing: ending 24-hour shopping to stop people going in at 2am and clearing out newly-restocked shelves, imposing a hard 3-item limit on customers of each product (the East of England Co-Op has already imposed a 2-item limit) and havind a dedicated pensioner hour of 9-10am where the needs of older customers will be prioritised.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

With the bread yes. That'S also the conclusion I reached. Either that or they intend to use to catch pidgeons in some post-apocalyptic scenario, or just for growing mould. Well, at least I suspect those idiots are limited by the size of their freezers. And putting toast in a freezer, doesn'T sound like such a great idea to me. I mean, that's something you have to eat up quite quick, or grow mould (or catch pidgeons).

But Milk, I've no idea what people do with that. I mean the milk with the extended shelf life, ok. But people are also going after the fresh milk atm, with a shelf-life of 2 weeks maybe. This is where I don't get the point of stockpiling. Same with eggs, what our copper mentioned in the convid thread. I mean how many eggs do you intend to eat per day?

It's probably not the biggest factor but some of the increased demand for food could be due to people having to stay at home when they'd normally have lunch (and perhaps other meals) while they were out at work/school.

From what I've seen the smaller shops around here seem to have about 95% of the items they would normally have in stock, but are sometimes running low on some things like toilet paper and paracetamol.

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Also I wonder if depression eating is happening. I got home from work yesterday and ate 2 packets of crisps and a bar of chocolate just because I'm sad. 

Just wait until it sinks in that the pubs may be shut for weeks or months. The booze shelves will empty!!

Noooooo!

https://newsthump.com/2020/03/17/britain-fcked-as-winchester-pub-closed-due-to-coronavirus/

Britain f*cked as Winchester pub closed due to Coronavirus

Winchester Tavern closed due to coronavirus

Britain’s plan to head off to the Winchester and enjoy a nice cold pint until this all blows over has been scuppered by the pub closing due to the virus.

For almost twenty years, Britons have followed the same disaster response plan in times of crisis, which is to retreat to their favourite local and pop the jukebox on until things quieten down a bit – but this time, not even the pub is safe.

Regulars arrived at the hostelry after running a gauntlet of coughing, virus-infected passers-by, only to find a sign on the door saying the popular venue was shut for the foreseeable future.

“We stayed open during a zombie plague, ISIS attacks on London, an alien invasion and the news that Genesis were reforming, but we’ve had to take expert advice and close our doors this time”, said landlord Simon Williams.

“Obviously this isn’t ideal, It’s St Patrick’s Day after all, but we can’t risk someone coughing all over the bags of pork scratchings and then everyone getting sick

59 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Also I wonder if depression eating is happening. I got home from work yesterday and ate 2 packets of crisps and a bar of chocolate just because I'm sad. 

I dunno if I’d call it depression eating but stockpiling chocolate biscuits is not going well for me.

5 minutes ago, john said:

I dunno if I’d call it depression eating but stockpiling chocolate biscuits is not going well for me.

But that's because you don't understand the concept of stockpiling.

You are supposed to store the biscuits, not eat them all at once.

FWIW, choc biscuits are also one of my weaknesses. 89 cents for a pack.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But that's because you don't understand the concept of stockpiling.

You are supposed to store the biscuits, not eat them all at once.

FWIW, choc biscuits are also one of my weaknesses. 89 cents for a pack.

I think i paid 37p for a pack of custard creams yesterday.

If we are put on complete lockdown as Italy where we cannot even leave our homes...well i can’t say it bodes well for my mental health. I’m finding it difficult enough having just limited my outdoor excursions to one walk early evening to avoid the crowds. But i live in studio and if i’m stuck in there 24/7 for a prolonged period i am quite scared what it will do to me.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But Milk, I've no idea what people do with that. I mean the milk with the extended shelf life, ok. But people are also going after the fresh milk atm, with a shelf-life of 2 weeks maybe. This is where I don't get the point of stockpiling. Same with eggs, what our copper mentioned in the convid thread. I mean how many eggs do you intend to eat per day?

You can freeze fresh milk. I’d be tempted to do it, if I had an actual freezer instead of a freezer box in the fridge. My girlfriend is very keen on buying a standalone freezer this weekend.

Archived