UK Politics: Drawing Priti Patterns

mormont

Reduction in public transport services, effective Monday in most cases I've seen (Lner, TfL, GoNorthEast, Arriva, Stagecoach). Most/all services still operating just on a reduced timetable. TfL is looking to reduce services further following the initial reduction too. 

18 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Netflix is reducing streaming quality in Europe for the next 30 days. Ffs.

I'm quite pleased to still have a huge amount of physical media to watch. I've got a Kurosawa collection blu-ray I picked up for Christmas and about a quarter of my movie collection I haven't actually watched yet. I had slowed down and almost stopped buying physical media, but I'm glad now I kept everything.

20 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Netflix is reducing streaming quality in Europe for the next 30 days. Ffs.

In my opinion they should repurpose the cloud servers for protein folding simulations and similar things.

I mean if my gaming PC doing simulations for researchers helps than content streaming servers and especially the servers used for stuff like Stadia doing the same would help a LOT. I suspect most of not all necessary simulations would be done in short order if the cloud servers were repurposed.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is there anything whatsoever to stop people who own businesses that aren't adversely affected getting the money? 

Answer: don't know yet. The devil is always in the detail - for example, does this apply to contractual hours only or is it calculated on average earnings over a period? The former is useless for a lot of workers who will actually be effected but the latter is going to be much more expensive. The detail of the regulations is important in this stuff - but seeing as we're still waiting on the actual regulations about the revisions to SSP...

4 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

In my opinion they should repurpose the cloud servers for protein folding simulations and similar things.

I mean if my gaming PC doing simulations for researchers helps than content streaming servers and especially the servers used for stuff like Stadia doing the same would help a LOT. I suspect most of not all necessary simulations would be done in short order if the cloud servers were repurposed.

Repurposing bitcoin mining could help as well.

1 minute ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

That is true. 

I doubt it will ever happen though. 

Entertainment and profit is much too important for that.

Maybe we need an e-currency which can be mined by folding proteins.

Call me crazy, but I am impressed by both Rishi Sunak and Matt Hancock.  They come across as genuine and caring people, and are very well spoken.  Shame about Boris, who could not maintain any kind of statesmanlike presence, but at least someone has had the sense to always flank him with experts.

10 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Call me crazy, but I am impressed by both Rishi Sunak and Matt Hancock.  They come across as genuine and caring people, and are very well spoken.  Shame about Boris, who could not maintain any kind of statesmanlike presence, but at least someone has had the sense to always flank him with experts.

Boris tends to look terribly flustered and it’s well known for hating having to do press conferences. Agree that he’s done a good job of passing off questions to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Not politics, but this is the closest to a UK thread we have. To do my ‘bit’, I’m making paperbacks of my published novels available at cost (£9 inc postage). UK only. More info on the writer promotion page on the Literature forum. Lasts until I run out of copies. Doesn’t include my latest, as it’s ebook-only until May.

Might try and do a nightly podcast reading, but would need publisher permission, and I’m no orator.

Back to politics, the Chancellor might come out of this well, at least until we see the bill.

19 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Back to politics, the Chancellor might come out of this well, at least until we see the bill.

I found myself wishing he was the PM!  No idea what he's like as a politician or a person, but he has a very reassuring voice and speaking style!

21 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

80% of wages up to £2500 is a lot of fucking money. All public places to be shut. That escalated quickly. 

I was thinking the same, where are they going to get the money from if these businesses shut for months?, sure there are going to be a lot of places that aren’t adversely affecting and can carry on operating, but retail and hospitality are going to be hit very hard.

Archived