Europe in Game of Thrones terms

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kind of a weird map.  Is it supposed to be in terms of climate?  Politics?  Qohor is noted to be in the middle of a vast forest, and they have it in Iraq, which is in the middle of one of the most notoriously tree-less areas in the world.

The Vale seems like a perfect Switzerland analogy, not the Carpathians, which weren't particularly defensible.

England seems to be a Stormlands analogue (wet and rainy, strong medieval culture, history of assimilating foreign "barbarians" like the Angles and Saxons, then the Normans).

And the Iron Islands couldn't be more obviously based on the Vikings, right?  Pirate/raider culture in which small warbands go off, steal movable property and slaves, and then return home to a culture built around subsistence farming and access to the ocean?

I always thought Britain (or rather England) was more like the Westerlands. What with all the mining-based wealth and the hills and the moors.

I don't like how they put all of Slaver's Bay in North Africa; I don't like why 

The Vale is Switzerland with a good combination of Austrian influences. The Austrians were at constant war with the Ottomans just like the Valemen are constantly fighting with the mountain clans. The Alps and the Carpathians were always huge influences in the region as well.

Braavos is Venice. And Constantinople x London=King's Landing. And then they had Tyrosh in two separate places. LOL but other than that I see lots of similarities.

I think this one is better though:

https://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/westeros_with_logo900.png[/IMG]

The only thing I would change are the Stormlands, the King's Landing and the North. I would make the Stormlands a cross between the kingdoms of southern Italy (i.e. Sicily, Naples, Calabria, Apulia, et.c), Wales and Ireland. The North is a combination of Scotland and Russia.

Since the Crownlands are based around a city that feels like medieval London with the wonders and monuments of Constantinople. I want to give a Byzantine air.

I wanted to attribute Germany to the influences of Crackclaw Point, the Vale or the Stormlands but I just can't. We don't know enough about the Vale, much less the Stormlands or Crackclaw Point to make it German or not.

The islands of Blackwater Bay = the islands of the Mediterranean and the Aegean with Dragonstone being Malta given its volcanic, stormy status.

Beyond the Wall is Russia east of the Ural Mountains.
The North is Scotland/Western Russia.
The Iron Isles are Scandinavia.
The Westerlands are England.
The Riverlands are the Netherlands/Belgium.
King’s Landing is London.
The Vale is Switzerland. 
The Reach is France. 
The Stormlands are Germany and Cape Wrath is Wales. 
Dorne is Spain and the Red Mountains are the Pyrenees. 
The Stepstones are Corisca, Sicily, Sardinia etc.
Braavos is Venice. 
Tyrosh is Cyprus. 
Volantis is Constantinople. 
Ib and the Shivering Sea is the Svalbard and northern Russia. 
Qohor is northwest Russia/Finland. 
Norvos is Poland. 
Lys is Malta. 
Myr and Pentos are medieval Italian city states like Rome, Florence, Milan or Naples. 
Slavers’ Bay is North Africa. 
Sothoryos is Central and West Africa. 
Qarth is the Middle East.

3 hours ago, McGuv19 said:

Beyond the Wall is Russia east of the Ural Mountains.
The North is Scotland/Western Russia.
The Iron Isles are Scandinavia.
The Westerlands are England.
The Riverlands are the Netherlands/Belgium.
King’s Landing is London.
The Vale is Switzerland. 
The Reach is France. 
The Stormlands are Germany and Cape Wrath is Wales. 
Dorne is Spain and the Red Mountains are the Pyrenees. 
The Stepstones are Corisca, Sicily, Sardinia etc.
Braavos is Venice. 
Tyrosh is Cyprus. 
Volantis is Constantinople. 
Ib and the Shivering Sea is the Svalbard and northern Russia. 
Qohor is northwest Russia/Finland. 
Norvos is Poland. 
Lys is Malta. 
Myr and Pentos are medieval Italian city states like Rome, Florence, Milan or Naples. 
Slavers’ Bay is North Africa. 
Sothoryos is Central and West Africa. 
Qarth is the Middle East.

Would you say that Asshai equals India, Yi Ti equals China and Elissa Farman's journeys for western lands to be equivalent to Amelia Earheart, Christopher Columbus and the Americas.

11 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Would you say that Asshai equals India, Yi Ti equals China and Elissa Farman's journeys for western lands to be equivalent to Amelia Earheart, Christopher Columbus and the Americas.

Yeah that makes sense.

The original Anglo Saxon kingdoms seem to have informed the original map. The North aligns strongly with Northumbria and parts of Scotland, you even have the Umbers deriving their name from Northumbria, and the Nortern Mountain Clans quite clearly representing Scottish Highlanders.

Winterfell was York, with the Starks representing House York in opposition to the Lannisters’ House Lancaster from the War of the Roses.

Archived