Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

I'm about halfway through season 2 of my rewatch of Justified.  I still don't know why people felt season 1 was inferior to season 2 because it was structured differently, when the Crowder and Bennett story lines develop so similarly between them.  Art definitely kills it this season with his slow speed chase, and the way he deadpans, "Did you roofie me, Raylan?"

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm about halfway through season 2 of my rewatch of Justified.  I still don't know why people felt season 1 was inferior to season 2 because it was structured differently, when the Crowder and Bennett story lines develop so similarly between them.  Art definitely kills it this season with his slow speed chase, and the way he deadpans, "Did you roofie me, Raylan?"

Easy, S1 didn’t have Mags. ;)

Thank you for being the one to start the new Watch thread.

Continuing to watch Babylon Berlin season 3; continuing to wonder at how different it looks compared to the previous seasons, while being the same.  That is some very high skill craft, to manage that.  I'm presuming the thoroughly superficial new gloss -- including how obvious the doors and so on of recurring locations like the widow's boarding house have been given recently a paint job -- is because in certain ways there has been some new prosperity going on due to the markets' hyper soar (continuing subject of mention in the dialog among some of the characters).  This is really fine compositional element visually to tell the story then.  Deeply impressed.

As what was supposed to be the amuse-bouche after a couple more eps of BB, I'm still watching season 8 of Death in Paradise.  But ....

Spoiler

half way through, I think one of the main characters has been killed off.  This wouldn't be the first time Death in Paradise has done that. But Florence?  O no!  However, the writing was probably on the wall from the first episode when a new female police officer was introduced to St. Marie's police force, especially since this one is the Commissioner's niece.  This viewer actually finds the constant replacement of Death in Paradise, including the lead DCI figure, part of what constitutes the delight in this -- generally -- light-hearted, comfy series.

What else is going on this season, which is particularly interesting, is that the central DCI figure (so far anyway, always a white male from the UK) is becoming more de-centered, in favor of an ensemble of 'locals', who aren't white.  As this takes place on a fictionalized version of the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, it's appropriate.

I also get a kick out of watching the characters use Moleskine notebooks, as it was on Guadeloupe so many years ago, I used my own first Moleskine, taking notes while at a conference, where most of the panels and presentations took place in a venue open to the air.  Thereby I discovered the whole point of the Moleskine, which was how well it stands up to humidity and rough, travel usage.  The paper's composition keeps ink from running or smudging, and doesn't pucker, in the astounding levels (for those not used to it) of humidity.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:43 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Think it was the disjointed nature of Boyd in S1. They hadn't really figured him out until towards the end, mostly because of Episode 1...

In season 2, they had a pretty good balance between Boyd, Bennetts and Raylen's case of the week.

Watched 1917, I thought it was excellent and I'm glad the Sikh soldier was in the movie. I'm glad we saw that ( though obviously it pissed off the usual suspects)

Interested to read about the technical aspects of the movie too, hopefully they have a good behind the scenes segment on that.

I feel like with the advent of streaming services, we have a dearth of good behind the scenes documentaries/ commentaries. The last really good one I remember was for The Last Jedi entitled 'The Director and the Jedi', haven't really found a decent one that I'm interested in since then.

Finally! Some one writes about the brilliance that is Babylon Berlin:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/babylon-berlin-season-3-review-please-watch.html

I haven't finished it yet -- trying not to binge and use it all up right away.  It's a constant surprise, in surprising ways.  The dance sequences are spectacular.  This is equally the case for the dancing that isn't professionally, intentionally spectacular for audiences, but just plain people dancing to enjoy themselves and enjoy dancing and see what they can do.  The contrast between these two modes of dance, professional and popular, has been an ongoing scenic current throughout the three seasons.

Quite liking Queen Sono -- Netflix Original series -- 3 episodes so far -- the chaser to Netflix's Babylon Berlin episodes, now that I finished the Death in Paradise season 9 dvds.

Set mostly in South Africa, action adventure, centering several women, all different, with different issues, which flow to the central plot, a Russian oligarch - corporate scheme to control all Africa vs. a Revolutionary Free Africa militia.  Though China's already taken over Africa, with little to nothing left for anybody else, but nevermind!

Very colorful, lots of shots of skylines of various major African cities, at least, so far anyway, all on the East African / Southern coast.  West Africa hasn't made an appearance.  Congo did once, in a diamond mine.

Started watching Hunters and although I enjoyed the opening episode I had to put it on hold after watching a couple more. Didn't quite get into comic book vibe, mixed in with the 1960's Batman TV series level of camp, while watching it. This is fine in and of itself, but overlaid with some questionable historical revisionism - and it became too disconcerting to enjoy. Still i might revisit it later. Watched something else instead.

That something else was season 2 of Patriot. Firstly, what a terrible show name. No wonder it flew under the radar. The episode titles are much better; McMillan Man (this would've been a more suitable show title), The Sword and the Hand, Fuck John Wayne, and my person favourite for episode title - Dick Cheney.

And what a great season. Season 1 was good too, all the quirky characters were in play by the end and one was left eager for Season 2. I think this (sadly) final season upped both the humour and melancholy. I was in fits during several scenes*, and then sympathizing - verging on despair for a character in other scenes. The music is great through out, the ensemble works well - particularly Michael Dorman in the lead. Kurtwood Smith is always good, seemingly serious and then deadpan hilarious with ease. The characters we spend time with are not wasted, infact I can't recall any superfluous characters. Sad there won't be a 3rd season, but Season 2 ended satisfyingly enough for this viewer. 

*I think one scene was mentioned in the last thread - but I had to throw out a perfectly good sandwich which I was thoroughly partaking of when I came to a certain scene halfway through the last season. F&%king Luxembourg Dicks Detectives!

I'll see Babylon Berlin's episode 10 tonight -- it's so very good, on every level.  I continue see new, impressive, aspects.

Of course, there is the aspect of how much in every way, though it is 1929, it looks like right here, right now, from the manipulations of a few people of the stock market, to how the nazis took over / replaced Germany's government, the intensifying indoctrination of the entire society with fantasy evils, particularly the young, and particularly about the Jewish population, the attacks on the press that reveals the military and NSDAP attempting to use each other for their own means (the NSDAP wins), and the removal of figures who stand in the way of their control of all the political and legal systems, from the police to the courts.  These aspects, alas, are not fiction.

But the plot(s) continue to intrigue.

I started to watch Parks and Rec. I’ve seen some random episodes throughout the years but never straight through. Just began S2.

I also saw The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez. Absolutely brutal case and not an easy watch at all. Made even more depressing that basically the same thing happened to a kid, in the same area, for the same sick reasoning, roughly 2 weeks after sentencing for Gabriel’s case. 

8 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I started to watch Parks and Rec. I’ve seen some random episodes throughout the years but never straight through. Just began S2.

I also saw The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez. Absolutely brutal case and not an easy watch at all. Made even more depressing that basically the same thing happened to a kid, in the same area, for the same sick reasoning, roughly 2 weeks after sentencing for Gabriel’s case. 

You probably should have just started with S2!

it remain one of my favourite comedies ever. I can rewatch it any number of times and still be entertained. 

17 hours ago, Triskele said:

Castlevania S2 was a huge improvement on S1, so I'm actually a bit happy that S3 is here.  Only cartoon I think I watch.  ETA:  I gave Dragon Prince a shot but couldn't stick with it.  

I enjoyed season 3 a lot.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

it remain one of my favourite comedies ever. I can rewatch it any number of times and still be entertained. 

I was pre-warned about the shaky first season. Only 6 eps too. S2 is already a lot better and funnier.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:14 AM, Raja said:

Watched 1917, I thought it was excellent and I'm glad the Sikh soldier was in the movie. I'm glad we saw that ( though obviously it pissed off the usual suspects)

Interested to read about the technical aspects of the movie too, hopefully they have a good behind the scenes segment on that.

I feel like with the advent of streaming services, we have a dearth of good behind the scenes documentaries/ commentaries. The last really good one I remember was for The Last Jedi entitled 'The Director and the Jedi', haven't really found a decent one that I'm interested in since then.

I could rewatch 1917 already and appreciate every scene like it was the first time. What a movie.

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Season 2 was fantastic, I really got into it.. until midway through season 3.. then struggled to get through season 4.. 

They just seemed to run out of ideas. I’m not sure I get the hype of the show.

Ended up rewatching Logan. I have wanted to see it again for a very long time, but unless I'm stuck on an airplane I try to avoid rewatches. Life is too short to well on the past. This film though, it got to me a little bit. Really impressed the first time I saw it and I still like it a lot a second time around. The emotional scenes still land and Dafne Keen is just unbelievably good in this. The perfect end for Hugh Jackman's turn as the character. Comparing this to The Joker, which has been so celebrated over the past couple of months I feel like Logan never really got the love it deserved. It's a much better film on pretty much every level and far more open about its sources of inspiration. 

Archived