Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

I watched The Post and Marriage Story in the past week. 

The Post was well acted but the emotional pull did not happen for me. There wasn’t a soul I truly cared about in that film and the topic itself failed to move me as well. I’m sure if I had grown up a U.S. citizen I would have an entirely different connection to the Vietnam war and the Watergate scandal and the film’s impact on me would have reflected that. But that was not the case, so I just admired the acting for the most part. 

Marriage Story was another film that’s worth watching merely for the savagely talented leads. Scarlett Johansson’s and Adam Driver’s performances were incredible. Yet, the story fell apart for me. I might decide to watch it again, because I was at times multitasking during the first try, which may affect how I view the story.

54 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Ended up rewatching Logan. I have wanted to see it again for a very long time, but unless I'm stuck on an airplane I try to avoid rewatches. Life is too short to well on the past. This film though, it got to me a little bit. Really impressed the first time I saw it and I still like it a lot a second time around. The emotional scenes still land and Dafne Keen is just unbelievably good in this. The perfect end for Hugh Jackman's turn as the character. Comparing this to The Joker, which has been so celebrated over the past couple of months I feel like Logan never really got the love it deserved. It's a much better film on pretty much every level and far more open about its sources of inspiration. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Ended up rewatching Logan. I have wanted to see it again for a very long time, but unless I'm stuck on an airplane I try to avoid rewatches. Life is too short to well on the past. This film though, it got to me a little bit. Really impressed the first time I saw it and I still like it a lot a second time around. The emotional scenes still land and Dafne Keen is just unbelievably good in this. The perfect end for Hugh Jackman's turn as the character. Comparing this to The Joker, which has been so celebrated over the past couple of months I feel like Logan never really got the love it deserved. It's a much better film on pretty much every level and far more open about its sources of inspiration. 

It’s a shame that Logan is so forgotten as it’s definitely one of the best comic book movies going and a perfect send off for Wolverine.

Its not perfect though, it’s final act is pretty weak, though the first hour makes up for it.

Got to borrow Chinatown from a friend and am glad to have finally seen it. Still a bit uncomfortable to see a film where 

Spoiler

a large part of the plot hinges around raping a 15-year-old given Polanski's own sordid past.

but I got to admit, I get why it has the reputation it has. The script is tight and there is so much foreshadowing. The actors are also brilliant, particularly John Huston. I'd definitely say it's a must see for anyone interested in watching the entire cannon of important films.

5 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Agreed.

:cheers: I knew you would agree with me Red :) 

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It’s a shame that Logan is so forgotten as it’s definitely one of the best comic book movies going and a perfect send off for Wolverine.

Its not perfect though, it’s final act is pretty weak, though the first hour makes up for it.

The final act weak, really?

Spoiler

Wolverine going berserk and the whole death scene with Laura was brilliant. I can't watch it without getting teary-eyed :crying:

42 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

The final act weak, really?

Reveal hidden contents

Wolverine going berserk and the whole death scene with Laura was brilliant. I can't watch it without getting teary-eyed :crying:

Yeah, once they go to the farm I'd say the movie goes downhill very fast.

4 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Strongly disagree. The farm part really showed that the movie was about family. Xavier as the grandfather figure, sympathetic to Laura, Logan as the dad and then Logan actually growing into the role to save Laura and the other kids.

16 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I agree but I think it’s after they leave the farm it loses shape. The movie comes off the rails quite a bit after that point, and misses a lot of what made the first half so good. 

I watched Parasite. It was pretty good, but 1917 should have won the Oscar for best pic, and I dare say Knives Out had the better screenplay.

Spoiler

I was a bit bored by the first act, knowing that their scheme would eventually have to unravel, and mainly kept waiting to see how it does. Once the twist reveal happened, which was great, I was much more engaged.

21 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

After @Tywin et al. recently brought it up i got a desire for some childhood nostalgia and so i’m watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch. No regrets

There’s nothing wrong with sinking into your childhood. I watched Enter the Dragon this weekend for like the 50th time. I first saw it when I was like 8. I’m back to training this time around too, and my god, high kicks at 31 really hurt the next day….

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Logan is great.

I liked Logan, but the final act with the doppelganger wolverine ruined the movie for me. I feel like from then on, as someone said, once they get to the farm stuff it's all a little meh. I was on board with everything before that though and I still like the movie, but it didn't make it to the top tier of movies for me.

TDK for me is basically a flawless movie, even though I know people have lots of issues with it.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

There’s nothing wrong with sinking into your childhood. I watched Enter the Dragon this weekend for like the 50th time. I first saw it when I was like 8. I’m back to training this time around too, and my god, high kicks at 31 really hurt the next day….

Yeah I was just flicking through the channels and there it was. It was early Sabrina too, Season 2. Some real classic episodes there. 

I always forget how many celebrity cameos the show had too

Carole and Tuesday (S2): Powered through and finished this. The songs weren't quite as good as those in the first season, but still, surprisingly decent given that they were all original. This season was a bit more scattered in its storytelling, pulling in a much more explicit political and social commentary, and it was entertaining enough. The standout new addition to the cast was a character featured in an episode named Desmond, a sort of David Bowie-esque figure combining the Ziggy Stardust era with the Bowie of Blackstar.

Castlevania (S1-S3): First time watching this, and it's gory fun. I love Warren Ellis's work, much of the time, and this hits the spot since I haven't read a comic of his in ... gosh, a long while. I played the first Castlevania games years ago on the NES (not even the Super NES!) but much of the lore that has built up is beyond me. Just started the third season, and the voice acting cast is ridiculous -- Richard Armitage, James Callis, Graham McTavish, Jaime Murray, Peter Stormare, Bill Nighy(!), Jason Isaacs, Matt Frewer... Crazy.

Latest Avenue 5 gets to new heights of absurdity that had us rolling, by the by.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yeah I was just flicking through the channels and there it was. It was early Sabrina too, Season 2. Some real classic episodes there. 

I always forget how many celebrity cameos the show had too

What a random way to find such an obscure show, lol. I guess I’ve also vastly underestimated how popular some US shows are in at least the UK. I’ve always assumed the directionality on that went the other way.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Latest Avenue 5 gets to new heights of absurdity that had us rolling, by the by.

I haven’t been watching week to week since the first couple episodes, but I had it on in the background last night, and the airlock scene was pretty funny. 

I watched the first 2 episodes of Devs and really enjoyed them. Loving the dark, somber atmosphere of everything. I’m intrigued to see where it will all go, as they’re hitting on some major stuff already.

I knew the lead looked familiar, as she was Kyoko from Ex Machina. She is great so far.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

What a random way to find such an obscure show, lol. I guess I’ve also vastly underestimated how popular some US shows are in at least the UK. I’ve always assumed the directionality on that went the other way.

Well it was on a rather obscure channel (4 music) but it was certainly popular back when it first aired. I think it was on Nickelodeon back then though so much more visible

Archived