Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

The Last Thing He Wanted.  Netflix Original.  Reagan era trading US military arms in Central America for Coke, to sell on the market, to finance their illegal war with Iran.  Journalists killed. CIA not only complicit and active, etc. Based on Joan Didion's writings.  Very good.  Devastating too.

I watched Anna. It wasn't a bad film but I felt like I'd seen it all done better before. It had a few nice action sequences, but nothing that really stood out and the plot twists were predictable. The title character was a bit bland as well, and while Helen Mirren seemed to be having fun as her boss at the KGB the rest of the cast weren't given much to work with.

We got a subscription to Disney+ for The Mandalorian, which lasted us a week.  My wife has watched a few of the classic musicals, and my son has watched what little of Clone Wars S7 is available yet.  And that feels like all there is of interest.  We’ll probably cancel after just one month.

Just now, Iskaral Pust said:

We got a subscription to Disney+ for The Mandalorian, which lasted us a week.  My wife has watched a few of the classic musicals, and my son has watched what little of Clone Wars S7 is available yet.  And that feels like all there is of interest.  We’ll probably cancel after just one month.

This seems like a common complaint about Disney+. The Mandalorian seems to be a bit of an outlier in terms of the sort of content on there, it being a bit more adult and edgy. If the majority of movies and tv shows on there are Hannah Montana style breeziness that it's going to disappoint a lot of people.

So like most people I now have a bunch of free time to watch stuff.

After listening to Kenneth Branagh narrating Heart of Darkness, I was desperate to do an Apocalypse Now rewatch. About 2 hours into it I realised I must have been watching the redux version because so many scenes didn't seem familiar to me at all. I figured out my mistake when the french plantation owners turned up. 
I definitely feel like even though the added scenes are all good, they don't really add all that much to the movie and seem to mess with the flow a little bit. The French portion was a real side step and slowed things down, and the playboy bunnie stuff was quite icky. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

This seems like a common complaint about Disney+. The Mandalorian seems to be a bit of an outlier in terms of the sort of content on there, it being a bit more adult and edgy. If the majority of movies and tv shows on there are Hannah Montana style breeziness that it's going to disappoint a lot of people.

The main selling point of Disney+ is really gonna be that all existing Disney films and shows will be on there, not its original content. And it's definitely gonna stick at the kid-friendly end of the scale, seeing as how they moved a High Fidelity show from there to Hulu while in development as they'd have had to tone it down for Disney+.

That said the MCU shows they're planning are clearly gonna be a big draw when they hit.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The main selling point of Disney+ is really gonna be that all existing Disney films and shows will be on there, not its original content. And it's definitely gonna stick at the kid-friendly end of the scale, seeing as how they moved a High Fidelity show from there to Hulu while in development as they'd have had to tone it down for Disney+.

That said the MCU shows they're planning are clearly gonna be a big draw when they hit.

There does seem to be a lot of people getting just for Mandalorian though, and that show seems to stand out against the rest of the content. It doesn’t sit very well.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

There does seem to be a lot of people getting just for Mandalorian though, and that show seems to stand out against the rest of the content. It doesn’t sit very well.

:dunno: That just feels like bad research, or hell, even just lack of common sense. It's the Disney channel, what did they think it was gonna be?

So like most people I now have a bunch of free time to watch stuff.

After listening to Kenneth Branagh narrating Heart of Darkness, I was desperate to do an Apocalypse Now rewatch. About 2 hours into it I realised I must have been watching the redux version because so many scenes didn't seem familiar to me at all. I figured out my mistake when the french plantation owners turned up. 
I definitely feel like even though the added scenes are all good, they don't really add all that much to the movie and seem to mess with the flow a little bit. The French portion was a real side step and slowed things down, and the playboy bunnie stuff was quite icky. 

The French stuff does negatively affect the flow, but I loved those scenes anyway and felt they gave a fuller level of context for how/why US got into Vietnam to begin with, and it showed a different kind of crazy from the rest of the crazy in the film.  I thought the Playboy bunny stuff was in both versions?, but I also loved those segments to, even though, of course to the 21st century eye they are 'problematic' but still a great time capsule of another age and also showing how totally on the knife's edge things were, everywhere, even in the supposedly safe areas.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I thought the Playboy bunny stuff was in both versions?

Iirc they show up twice, the first time is in both versions and the second only in the redux.

I want to see the recent final cut, which is apparently in between the two older versions in length.

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The French stuff does negatively affect the flow, but I loved those scenes anyway and felt they gave a fuller level of context for how/why US got into Vietnam to begin with, and it showed a different kind of crazy from the rest of the crazy in the film.  I thought the Playboy bunny stuff was in both versions?, but I also loved those segments to, even though, of course to the 21st century eye they are 'problematic' but still a great time capsule of another age and also showing how totally on the knife's edge things were, everywhere, even in the supposedly safe areas.

I think the second scene with them is added, the one with the bird lady bit. It was kinda gross and odd. Especially as it was clear they had taken a lot of drugs but it wasn’t shown. 

The French stuff added good historical context, France should be mentioned when it comes to Vietnam. It was a very slow scene and messed up the pacing quite a bit.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

:dunno: That just feels like bad research, or hell, even just lack of common sense. It's the Disney channel, what did they think it was gonna be?

I was pretty sure even before we signed up that the Mandalorian was the only thing we’d want to see.  The subscription is only month-by-month, so nothing lost in a short subscription.  My parents in Ireland had to get a minimum one year subscription.  That’s madness.  

Disney+ does have all the Avengers and Pixar content too, but none of that is worth rewatching. 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, Vaughn said:

anyone watching 'Devs'? I love the disquieting vibe of Garland's recent stuff. 

We are. Loving it so far. Atmosphere is by far the best part.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:17 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Watched all of ugly delicious over last 2 days, no idea if David Chang can cook or not but he is a great presenter and very personable, some of the other talking heads are pretentious as fuck though. 

He can cook.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Watched Fighting with My Family. Really surprised how much I liked it. Even with my love of Florence Pugh. I couldn’t care less about wrestling, and never have, but it’s actually a pretty good movie. 

I think you should change that "even with" to "because of."  That movie was okay at best.

Just watched Into the Spider-verse again.  Such a fun movie. 

26 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I think you should change that "even with" to "because of."  That movie was okay at best.

I’m not saying it’s some instant sports classic or anything, but it’s much better than I thought it would be. Especially with a fairly inexperienced director in Stephen Merchant. 

I hate to bring up scores and ratings, but it has 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. I doubt all those critics have a crush on Florence Pugh. :P

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched Fighting with My Family. Really surprised how much I liked it. Even with my love of Florence Pugh. I couldn’t care less about wrestling, and never have, but it’s actually a pretty good movie. 

It was definitely improved by some good performances by Pugh and Nick Frost, which kinda elevated the material above what it was. 

Outside of that, it really was a very by the numbers sports underdog movie. I was actually annoyed because I’d heard it was better than expected but In actuality I thought it was incredibly safe.

It was definitely improved by some good performances by Pugh and Nick Frost, which kinda elevated the material above what it was. 

Outside of that, it really was a very by the numbers sports underdog movie. I was actually annoyed because I’d heard it was better than expected but In actuality I thought it was incredibly safe.

It was, for the most part, but I was glad her competition turned out to not be just a bunch of mean girls, and that there was some actual conflict with her brother. 

Had a few laughs, too. Idk, I enjoyed it overall. 

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Disney+ does have all the Avengers and Pixar content too, but none of that is worth rewatching. 

Standard disclaimer - to each their own, of course, but you don't find any of the Pixar content worth rewatching? The Toy Stories are wildly overrated and the Cars series is the Devil's work, but Ratatouille, Up, the Incredibles and Wall-E are all very re-watchable for me. Granted I do have kids but I've watched these by myself when they were on TV.  

Archived