Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Joe Exotic is awesome in a truly terrible way, Also, pretty sure Carol murdered her husband. I am going to fly through this one.

Oh yea, totally. “Here kitty kitty” is the best music video ever.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I still have a lot to see, but after the first episode I just decided to read a bit about the people. I know I have a lot more to enjoy.

Just trying to decide after I read and do a bit of yoga if I should keep going with this or watch 1917 since its already been rented at my place. 

Anyways, time for some scotch ;) 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still have a lot to see, but after the first episode I just decided to read a bit about the people. I know I have a lot more to enjoy.

Just trying to decide after I read and do a bit of yoga if I should keep going with this or watch 1917 since its already been rented at my place. 

Anyways, time for some scotch ;) 

I’m watching episode 3 of Tiger King and drinking a scotch. Very good idea. Episode 3 is all about Carol.

Side note, I really liked 1917.

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

Can't argue with that. It's quite catchy as a song as well XD

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Joe Exotic is awesome in a truly terrible way, Also, pretty sure Carol murdered her husband. I am going to fly through this one.

Up to episode 4 now! Tonight I'll watch the rest... Crazy man although Joe 

Spoiler

became less sympathetic in episode 4. Pretty sure he burned the alligators. Unbelievable these people!

10 hours ago, Mexal said:

Side note, I really liked 1917.

I'll join the 1917/Tiger King cross-over love fest!

In the last few days, I finally watched a few crap movies from last year.

Hobbs & Shaw - mindless entertainment; they broke the ratio of comedic banter vs plot and action, which made the movie longer than it was necessary.

Brightburn - disappointing; I hoped for more. I especially disliked how the story unfolded. Every time the kid would say or do something disturbing, I would wonder what the consequences of that would be. Instead they simply cut to the next scene, because they cared more about gory deaths than meaningful moments.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - I had very low expectations. By the end, I really felt nothing. The train fight sequence was the only decent moment if the whole movie. Aliens vs mutants should have been more exciting than this.

The first two episodes of Westworld and The Mandalorian have been pleasant distractions. 

We've been doing more gaming than watching during our isolation but we squeezed in a couple of films: True Story (about stolen identity and the value of the truth) and Out of Thin Air (a documentary about a double murder in Iceland in the 1970s where the subsequent confessions given by a number of young people become confused and unravel). The latter reminded me of The Confession Killers (which is also worth watching) because of the behaviour of the police who were investigating the crimes. 

Historical action film set in the 18th C Marathan Empire Hindustan, Panipat -- Great Betrayal (2019). Recall at the same time (1751) the East India Company is warring to take out the Mughal Empire on the other side of the subcontinent. This event helped them.  Around 1805, the EIC begins its war upon the Marathan and Hindu kingdoms.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/movie-reviews/panipat/movie-review/72375755.cms

Ashutosh Gowariker’s magnum opus ‘Panipat’ is based on historical facts, taking some creative liberties along the way. Shadashivrao Bhau (Arjun Kapoor), is an able commander in his cousin Nanasaheb Peshwa’s (Mohnish Bahl) army. After a victorious battle against the Nizam of Udgir, Shadashivrao Bhau is chosen by the Maratha Peshwa to lead their army to Delhi. Ahmad Shah Abdali (Sanjay Dutt), the king of Afghanistan, has set his inroads into India after forming an alliance with Najib-Ud-Daula (Mantra) with the intention to defeat the Marathas and curb their expanding power....

.... ‘Panipat’ packs in a layered narrative that delves into the complex politics of the period, the intricate workings of war strategies versus might, negotiation dynamics and the importance of forming alliances. And it also weaves in the love story between Shadashivrao Bhau and Parvati Bai. In fact, the chemistry between Kriti Sanon and Arjun Kapoor as their love story develops, is one of the high points of the film. But with a run-time of close to three hours and the many characters and plot points the film touches upon it becomes a lengthy and at times, tedious watch....[Z here: no matter, because the final battle sequence is spectacular!]

There are spectacular dance numbers, and singing interludes, which these i don't like and never have. However the colors are brilliant, and it makes one feel so much better seeing that vivid palette, all that gold and truck loads of pearls, rubies and emeralds. 

Just over halfway through season 3 of Justified.  Enjoying it much more than I remembered (the last 4 seasons kind of bleed together for me), Neal McDonough and Mykelti Williamson are both great as Quarles and Limehouse respectively.  The machinations they through at Raylan in episode 8 are fantastic.  This will be finished today.

Was wanting in the contemporary fantasy realm, so I rewatched season 1 of True Blood earlier this week.  It came out right around the same time as Justified, and while it was never as good, I was hoping it would and I was hoping it would hold up enough to be considered watchable... it really did not.  That was pretty damn terrible.  Unfortunately my desire for contemporary fantasy has not been sated, so I may end up watching season 2.

Finished Tiger King. It was good throughout, but it becomes far less enjoyable near the end, simply because 

Spoiler

they all turn out to be horrible people and the bad guys win. I can't believe how everyone keeps trusting this Jeff guy. And Carol and her husband are just barf-worthy "definitely a champagne and brie evening" :thumbsdown: 

On top of that, Joe really doesn't turn out any better than the others. Or perhaps a little better, but not enough to matter. 

Oh, and the American justice system is definitely broken.

49 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Just over halfway through season 3 of Justified.  Enjoying it much more than I remembered (the last 4 seasons kind of bleed together for me), Neal McDonough and Mykelti Williamson are both great as Quarles and Limehouse respectively.  The machinations they through at Raylan in episode 8 are fantastic.  This will be finished today.

I was a big fan of season 3, it was my 2nd favorite season. For me, 2 and 3 stand out, 4, 5, 6 all blend together. The escalation of all the different players in season 3 and how they come together at the end is a master class.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Was wanting in the contemporary fantasy realm, so I rewatched season 1 of True Blood earlier this week.  It came out right around the same time as Justified, and while it was never as good, I was hoping it would and I was hoping it would hold up enough to be considered watchable... it really did not.  That was pretty damn terrible.  Unfortunately my desire for contemporary fantasy has not been sated, so I may end up watching season 2.

I personally remember S4 of Justified being one of the best (the episode 'Decoy' being one of my favorite episodes). It's been a long time since I've seen 2 (or 3 for that matter) so hard to remember my first impressions on that season (aside from Mags). 

True Blood's first season was one of the better ones as I recall (at least until Russell Edgington enters the picture and that only for half a season). Lafayatte in Eric's basement being the highlight. Even if you want contemporary fantasy though, I don't know that any season of True Blood is worth a re-watch. There's got to be better...

On 3/26/2020 at 1:28 AM, Nictarion said:

Is this ever getting another season?

Unlike certain other shows they decided to wait for the books to be finished before adapting them. They said last year they were going to move ahead with season 2, although I think it's probably still some way off.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

I was a big fan of season 3, it was my 2nd favorite season. For me, 2 and 3 stand out, 4, 5, 6 all blend together. The escalation of all the different players in season 3 and how they come together at the end is a master class.

7 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I personally remember S4 of Justified being one of the best (the episode 'Decoy' being one of my favorite episodes). It's been a long time since I've seen 2 (or 3 for that matter) so hard to remember my first impressions on that season (aside from Mags). 

I do remember season 5 being the only season that I would rate lower than excellent.  I had forgotten about the disarming of

Quarles, that reaching out for his severed arm and Raylan moving it back just out of reach was just so perfect.

7 hours ago, WarGalley said:

True Blood's first season was one of the better ones as I recall (at least until Russell Edgington enters the picture and that only for half a season). Lafayatte in Eric's basement being the highlight. Even if you want contemporary fantasy though, I don't know that any season of True Blood is worth a re-watch. There's got to be better...

Maybe I'll rewatch Grimm instead.  It's definitely a higher quality show than True Blood (how was this so popular?).

Watched Midsommar on amazon prime last night and absolutely loved it.

Christ it’s stuck with me overnight as well, certain imagery keeps popping into my head and refuses to go away. 

One thing I really appreciated was actually the reality of the script and the acting, it stood out that the characters felt like human beings,  not hollywood archetypes. Even down to what they were wearing, crappy looking baggy jeans and ill fitting T-shirts. All added up to making you believe this was all happening, or could happen. 

There was no horror movie dialogue outlining the plot at every point either. In fact it’s hard to call it a horror movie, it sort of isn’t. 

10 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Decided to watch after all the praise, but which version to watch , theatrical (148 minutes) or director's cut (171 minutes) ?

Watched theatrical I assume. Was waiting for a couple of scenes I’d heard about that never happened.

I second the theatrical. There's no need to add 20+ minutes to the film.

Also, from above, don't watch The Platform. It's just messed up for the sake of being messed up. Should have gotten another injection of Tiger King instead.

I thought the Director’s cut was too much by the end. Definitely will only watch the theatrical version in the future. But the dc does add some clarity for certain things. I would just read about what it adds if you’re curious.

Archived