Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I thought the Director’s cut was too much by the end. Definitely will only watch the theatrical version in the future. But the dc does add some clarity for certain things. I would just read about what it adds if you’re curious.

Had to google what the added scenes were but it sounds like it actively makes the film worse, seemingly hammering home that the commune is a bit dark and her boyfriend is a total douche. Didn’t need any more to figure that out 

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Had to google what the added scenes were but it sounds like it actively makes the film worse, seemingly hammering home that the commune is a bit dark and her boyfriend is a total douche. Didn’t need any more to figure that out 

They definitely don’t make it worse. I liked the DC. 

It’s not a real big deal, but the main thing it adds is by showing the

water ceremony we see what presumably happened to Connie, and why her body looked the way it did at the end.

I don't know how many people have watched the show Messiah on Netflix, but it's been cancelled. https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/messiah-canceled-netflix-1203546347/

According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, Netflix did not feel confident producing a show that required so many international locations given the current state of things with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

hmm, this sounds like a valid excuse, but if this had The Witcher's popularity, for example, I'm sure Netflix would have simply suspended production for however long it was necessary. The show was ok, but nothing special. I won't miss it.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Finished S3 of The Sinner. Pretty weak overall. I loved S1, and liked S2, but this was a pretty significant drop-off in quality. Not sure I’d watch another season if they make one. 

i watched the first 2 episodes of season 3 and stopped.Very boring.Seasons 1 and 2 had both compelling plots/mystery and some fine guest actors such as Carrie Coon.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

BTW (based on the OP) Justified is no longer available free on Amazon Prime.  The Balkanization of content will keep getting worse. 

I'm rocking it old school with the blu rays.  I do hate it when content disappears before you've finished it.  A couple of years ago I was rewatching Fringe, and Amazon lost it when I was halfway through season 4. 

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm rocking it old school with the blu rays.  I do hate it when content disappears before you've finished it.  A couple of years ago I was rewatching Fringe, and Amazon lost it when I was halfway through season 4. 

I hear you.  I just ordered a DVD box set of Jeeves & Wooster.  We bought S1 a few years ago on Amazon, but now we can’t rent, buy or subscribe to anywhere to stream any of the other seasons.  So now we’re going back in time by a decade or more and collecting box sets again. 

I just finished The Letter for the King (Netflix). Pure, unadulterated YA trash, easily as bad as GoT season 8. Though being YA, one could forgive a few things, but just a few. And unlike GoT, at least this was season 1, so no expectations were betrayed. There shall be zero expectations for season 2, if there even is a continuation.

Spoiler

The actor playing the protagonist really had a hard time displaying emotions, though he didn't have much to work with. Stuff happened because reasons, the plot just had to go through the check list. 

It was hilarious how characters kept finding each other in this vast world where the only fast means of travel is horse riding. There is subversion for the sake of subversion, and some unearned twists.

The protagonist forgets his father's murder up until the right time when he had to have a meaningful conversation with a side character. The story kinda forgets another meaningful growth moment for the protagonist that never pays off.

The baddies are badass, up until they're not.

I mentioned this in the ranking thread, but the climactic magical duel was the weirdest fight I have seen in a fantasy production. There was no explanation as to why it was going down the way it was, and just weird. It was slow, not slow mo, but slooooow in its action and resolution. The actors literally had to stand there and let the VFX guys do all the work.

14 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

BTW (based on the OP) Justified is no longer available free on Amazon Prime.  The Balkanization of content will keep getting worse. 

It's still up in the UK. But I better get a wriggle on with my re watch just in case. 

5 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Started Ozark s3. Pleasant surprise seeing it up on Netflix yesterday since I completely forgot about it premiering this month.

Started first episode of S3 yesterday too. I realised how invested I was in the characters, was great to have them back. I never considered it a great show but it’s consistently enjoyable , maybe it is great 

18 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't know how many people have watched the show Messiah on Netflix, but it's been cancelled. https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/messiah-canceled-netflix-1203546347/

hmm, this sounds like a valid excuse, but if this had The Witcher's popularity, for example, I'm sure Netflix would have simply suspended production for however long it was necessary. The show was ok, but nothing special. I won't miss it.

Guess there might be a lot of shows getting shit-canned in that case. Why not just put it on hiatus? Seems a strange decision given it was relatively popular (if those top 10 lists mean anything). I liked the show and was curious as to how it would maintain the ambiguity (I still felt it was even after the ending) but I'm not exactly upset by not getting anymore - beyond the reasoning seeming a bit of a cop-out. Unless it's really clever meta-marketing and the show will be resurrected after Easter :)

I bet Lost in space will turn out to be filmed in multiple locations too or cast members are too international next. Same with altered Carbon. Cancelling cartoons might be trickier with this excuse. I'd still rather they'd just be honest and say the show wasn't successful enough for the cost.

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

Started Ozark s3. Pleasant surprise seeing it up on Netflix yesterday since I completely forgot about it premiering this month.

I saw it but couldn't remember if that was last year's or not.

Watching Brightburn and while I guess it’s enjoyable it feels like a missed opportunity. Bad baby superman doesn’t really have any depth and is really just your standard evil kid you get in these types of horror movies.

It could have been much more interesting if it explored a superboy figure that was essentially evil and coming to terms with his powers but it doesn’t really try and do any of that, it just wants to do all the obvious horror things. 

Not sure why it was so highly rated.

I watched Free Fire. It's definitely an unusual film where the entire thing essentially feels like one very long scene. I enjoyed it, despite having a shoot-out that goes on for about an hour it managed to remain interesting and avoid feeling repetitive. It's almost got a slapstick feel to it at times. It's got a good cast and they seem to be enjoying themselves (particularly Sharlto Copley), even if the opportunities for character development are a bit limited.

Archived