Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

9 hours ago, Relic said:

i thought season 4 was the second best season of the show, fwiw

That's definitely a good spot for it.  Excellent season all around.  Shocked that I had forgotten so many of the storylines.  

Now, with the news of The Last Kingdom season 4 being released on April 26th, I have started a rewatch of that.

Hasbro has released the first 3 mini-series of the 80's Sunbow G.I.Joe cartoon on YouTube, each one in 5 episode chunks. :)

I've re-watched Bumblebee on Amazon Prime about 5 times now. That movie has made its way into my top 10 all time favorite movies.

Been doing some sitcom re-watches, Better Off Ted, Community, and Malcolm in the Middle on Hulu, Silicon Valley on HBO GO, 30 Rock and 3rd Rock From The Sun on Amazon. Thinking of doing a re-watch of Arrested Development on Netflix, if I did it would be like my 5th re-watch. All great shows!

Been re-watching From the Earth to the Moon too on HBO GO.

Also re-wathced on HBO, The Adjustment Bureau, Thank You For Smoking, and Shutter Island. Great movies!

Watched on HBO Go for the first time the movies Yesterday and SHAZAM! and Rocketman on EPIX. Liked the first one loved the other two.

49 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Only 3 episodes in this season but I absolutely love it so far. Tensions between Marty and Wendy have gripped me, love how things have escalated since season 1

Wendy’s brother is a brilliant addition, guy grabs hold of the screen in every scene.

He was great as Bunker in Banshee.

Discovered a recently added to netflix film perfect for me, at least, though it could well be of interest to some of you.

Curtíz (2018) is a fictionalized bio pic of the Hungarian director who shot Casablanca. Film is from Hungary. Black & White. Stylish and Elegant, and Film Arty. Lots of Hungarian language not subtitled.  1942, just after Pearl Harbor, etc.  The US government is in Hollywood, in offices of Wallis and , on the sound stages, ordering Curtíz to make a patriotic rah rah film that will get US crackers (their word, not mine) to enlist in the army. Curtíz, having no ending, blew his delivery deadline, and now that the US is gearing to enter the war thanks to Japan, they are all over the business for propaganda to promote supporting the US to enter. (This is historically true.)

Where very little drama/fiction entertainment these days is tolerable, much less distracting, for some reason WWII era entertainments are often tolerable, especially the music.  So, after dinner, I'll watch part of this, before bed and books. 

Non-fiction books are still by far best distraction, particularly when coupled with the right music.

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Hasbro has released the first 3 mini-series of the 80's Sunbow G.I.Joe cartoon on YouTube, each one in 5 episode chunks. :)

I've re-watched Bumblebee on Amazon Prime about 5 times now. That movie has made its way into my top 10 all time favorite movies.

Been doing some sitcom re-watches, Better Off Ted, Community, and Malcolm in the Middle on Hulu, Silicon Valley on HBO GO, 30 Rock and 3rd Rock From The Sun on Amazon. Thinking of doing a re-watch of Arrested Development on Netflix, if I did it would be like my 5th re-watch. All great shows!

Been re-watching From the Earth to the Moon too on HBO GO.

Also re-wathced on HBO, The Adjustment Bureau, Thank You For Smoking, and Shutter Island. Great movies!

Watched on HBO Go for the first time the movies Yesterday and SHAZAM! and Rocketman on EPIX. Liked the first one loved the other two.

I loved Rocketman so much. Taron Egerton was perfect for the role of Elton John. Also thought Bryce Dallas-Howard was excellent in her admittedly small/brief role as his mother.

i realise this was a “musical fantasy” rather than a biopic (this is how the cast, crew and Elton John described it, btw, i’m not just plucking that from nowhere) so direct comparisons aren’t ideal, but i liked this WAAY more than Bohemian Rhapsody from the previous year.

ETA: For all we are on lockdown i find i have not been able to find any films or series i particularly want to watch. I’ve even cancelled my Netflix subscription because it was just 5.99 a month wasted. Right now i watch Westworld season three and...thats about it. Any recommendations that are on Amazon Prime are welcome. I will probably sub to Netflix for a month once Last Kingdom is out.

Upcoming shows in the next month i will watch - Killing Eve, Penny Dreadful, The Last Kingdom

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

Finally getting on board with Joe Exotic and the rest of the tiger people.  Wow.  

One of the most fun things about it for me was

thinking about Joe Exotic putting up Craigslist ads for Tiger Worker, Country Music Singer, and Carole Baskin Impersonator for Country Music Video, and then the ensuing screening/ tryout process

13 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That's definitely a good spot for it.  Excellent season all around.  Shocked that I had forgotten so many of the storylines.  

We dug coal together. 

That's right. 

Best final lines of any show, as well. Dang, i loved me some Justified. 

Currently watching Homeland since Showtime is free during this mess we are all in. Finished S1 and 2 and not sure how much farther I will go. Something about Claire Danes that is off putting. S1 was good but 2 it seemed a little much. Will try S3 and make a decision.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Currently watching Homeland since Showtime is free during this mess we are all in. Finished S1 and 2 and not sure how much farther I will go. Something about Claire Danes that is off putting. S1 was good but 2 it seemed a little much. Will try S3 and make a decision.

I predict you won’t make it far into s3

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Season 3 ended that show for me. S1 was amazing and really drew me in, S2 was not as good, S3 was it for me. I find Dana to be an all-time horrendous kid character. Annoying as hell. Good luck.

I watched Birds of Prey and I didn't like it. It was painfully mediocre. I guess it makes for a decent Harley Quinn movie but a bad Birds of Prey movie. The actual Birds of Prey might just as well not have been in the movie and it would probably not have made much of a difference. Which is a shame because I do like the actors and think they fit their respective roles very well. Although what the movie did to Cassandra Cain is unforgivable.  The action scenes weren't very good either, they were well shot and all but also really boring, at times it felt like the bad guys were just lining up to the knocked down like in a fucking Steven Segal movie. I liked Chris Messina's interpretation of Zsasz and Ewan McGregor seemed to have a lot of fun as Black Mask, but neither of them feels like they ever really do anything significant other than just being there and being evil without ever feeling like a real threat. 

Spoiler

Their anticlimactic endings didn't exactly help there either.

I also watched the second season of Kingdom, which was awesome. I wasn't sure if and how they was going to stretch the story into another season but I'm intrigued by the ending and very excited to see where they go from there.

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I predict you won’t make it far into s3

Yeah season 3 was not good at all, nor was season 4 iirc, but seasons 5 improved quite a bit and 6 & 7 were both excellent.  Haven't watched 8.

19 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I loved Rocketman so much. Taron Egerton was perfect for the role of Elton John. Also thought Bryce Dallas-Howard was excellent in her admittedly small/brief role as his mother.

i realise this was a “musical fantasy” rather than a biopic (this is how the cast, crew and Elton John described it, btw, i’m not just plucking that from nowhere) so direct comparisons aren’t ideal, but i liked this WAAY more than Bohemian Rhapsody from the previous year.

Coincidentally, I just watched that yesterday. I agree Egerton was great, it was a strong cast overall. It's definitely a more imaginative film than Bohemian Rhapsody, although I did enjoy that film as well.

I watched Rocketman today as well funnily enough. I mean it was sorta good as a musical, love a bit of classic Elton, and Egerton was great in it as well.

But it really felt like a stage show on screen and I have real issues with that genre in general as the storytelling and scripts are often particularly stunted due to the nature of live shows. 

I dunno, the movie felt very broad and outside of a few decent songs it all felt very by the numbers. Nice movie to sit around and watch with your mum but I’d expect to see it on tv.

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I keep hearing good things about Ozark. What's the boiler plate pitch for it from a fan?

I think Breaking Bad is what it is compared to most but it's not as good and has less humor. It's a serious and dark drama about a family using money laundering to escape their problems from various criminal problems, and thereby digging themselves into more criminal problems. Instead of the chemistry-solution-of-the-day style resolutions to an episode, you get a finance/business/accounting version of it to solve whatever problem is currently at hand.

The latest season is seriously violent... like full camera shots of decapitated bodies with dollar bills stuff into the neck cavities..

10 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I think Breaking Bad is what it is compared to most but it's not as good and has less humor. It's a serious and dark drama about a family using money laundering to escape their problems from various criminal problems, and thereby digging themselves into more criminal problems. Instead of the chemistry-solution-of-the-day style resolutions to an episode, you get a finance/business/accounting version of it to solve whatever problem is currently at hand.

The latest season is seriously violent... like full camera shots of decapitated bodies with dollar bills stuff into the neck cavities..

So basically you're saying go watch Breaking Bad and then maybe get back to this?

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Breaking Bad meets Justified. 

Never seen the latter, and only saw the first three or four episodes of Breaking Bad. It was good, but I just never got back to it. Kind of feel the same way about Lost too. Sadly I expect I'll have a lot more time on my hands soon. I basically out of patients to help. Once I clear another departments backlog up, I'm not sure why the hospital would have me come in.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So basically you're saying go watch Breaking Bad and then maybe get back to this?

Never seen the latter, and only saw the first three or four episodes of Breaking Bad. It was good, but I just never got back to it. Kind of feel the same way about Lost too. Sadly I expect I'll have a lot more time on my hands soon. I basically out of patients to help. Once I clear another departments backlog up, I'm not sure why the hospital would have me come in.

Yeah I'd definitely watch Breaking Bad first. Every season is pretty solid and it has a great ending. If you like BB, then I'd also add Better Call Saul to your watchlist too. 

Not sure how I'd compare Justified and Ozark. Justified is more lighthearted, has more humor, has some terrible episodes/seasons but ends after 6 seasons in a very satisfying manner. Ozark is darker, more violent, less charismatic and character engaging and is only on season 3. All of these shows have multiple agencies of characters maneuvering around each other toward some competing objective. 

Archived