Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

5 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Not sure how I'd compare Justified and Ozark. Justified is more lighthearted, has more humor, has some terrible episodes/seasons but ends after 6 seasons in a very satisfying manner. Ozark is darker, more violent, less charismatic and character engaging and is only on season 3. All of these shows have multiple agencies of characters maneuvering around each other toward some competing objective. 

It’s definitely closer to Breaking Bad, but Ozark has characters like the Snell’s and Langmore’s that would fit in in Justified. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I keep hearing good things about Ozark. What's the boiler plate pitch for it from a fan?

if you want to watch ozark then watch ozark. you don't need to watch breaking bad first because obviously the shows are not related. a comparison is drawn, yes, but there's no prerequisite needed for the show. i'd highly recommend ozark...

14 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

if you want to watch ozark then watch ozark. you don't need to watch breaking bad first because obviously the shows are not related. a comparison is drawn, yes, but there's no prerequisite needed for the show. i'd highly recommend ozark...

Yeah, but BB is the show I hear most when looking for suggestions. I don't watch a lot of T.V. outside of sports and the news anyways, and my years in politics combined with the long lasting PTSD of Dexter have messed up a normal viewing pattern.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

So basically you're saying go watch Breaking Bad and then maybe get back to this?

Never seen the latter, and only saw the first three or four episodes of Breaking Bad. It was good, but I just never got back to it. Kind of feel the same way about Lost too. Sadly I expect I'll have a lot more time on my hands soon. I basically out of patients to help. Once I clear another departments backlog up, I'm not sure why the hospital would have me come in.

Don't watch LOST. I say that as a friend. I'll give you a list of great shows to watch, just don't do that.

9 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Don't watch LOST. I say that as a friend. I'll give you a list of great shows to watch, just don't do that.

Thought Lost was one of the shows you need to accept going into it that first few season are good, but bail early? 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Thought Lost was one of the shows you need to accept going into it that first few season are good, but bail early? 

Good is relative. The first few seasons are coherent.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, but BB is the show I hear most when looking for suggestions. I don't watch a lot of T.V. outside of sports and the news anyways, and my years in politics combined with the long lasting PTSD of Dexter have messed up a normal viewing pattern.

Well if you're looking for a good show then definitely watch BB. It's easily top 5 for me. If people ever hit a rut watching that show, which is rare, then it's during the first handful of episodes, when it's starting to get good. After that it's a wrap, you'll be hooked.

3 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Well if you're looking for a good show then definitely watch BB. It's easily top 5 for me. If people ever hit a rut watching that show, which is rare, then it's during the first handful of episodes, when it's starting to get good. After that it's a wrap, you'll be hooked.

I know I made it to the point were Jesse melted a hole through several floor levels. 

Lost is excellent, actually.

Anyway - mostly watching Devs & The Walking Dead - I know people fucking hate S2 of the walking dead, but I kinda like it. I think the first two seasons are quite good ( though a lot of the writing can be a little cringe)

58 minutes ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Did you mean auteur?

No. Because Villenue is a fucking artist. Auteur is a neutral connotation indicating degree of author(ity). Artist suggests the capability to induce strong - and intentioned - feelings on behalf of the observer.

ETA: Second 'artist' was in the plural.

23 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I predict you won’t make it far into s3

18 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Season 3 ended that show for me. S1 was amazing and really drew me in, S2 was not as good, S3 was it for me. I find Dana to be an all-time horrendous kid character. Annoying as hell. Good luck.

There must be something wrong with me, I have liked S3 so far, way more than S2. Well at least since she has been out of the hospital, i almost quit during that time.

Yeah - Villeneuve, after Sicario, Blade Runner 2049 & Arrival ( and maybe even Prisoners), is one of those directors where I'll walk into any movie he makes because he's won so much credibility with me with all of those movies.

2049 is gorgeous and I need to catch that at the theater again. Like *everyone* thought it was a bad idea to make a sequel, but somehow they pulled it off.

33 minutes ago, Raja said:

Yeah - Villeneuve, after Sicario, Blade Runner 2049 & Arrival ( and maybe even Prisoners), is one of those directors where I'll walk into any movie he makes because he's won so much credibility with me with all of those movies

Same. Sicario and 2049 are two of my favorite movies. 

1 minute ago, Mark Antony said:

Same. Sicario and 2049 are two of my favorite movies. 

Yeah, and I'm not even a huge fan of the original - I was born like a decade after it came out and only really watched it so I could watch 2049 - but I still loved every bit of 2049.

I just finished up Ozark season 3 myself. I think it's excellent and this was another really strong season.

Jason Bateman's interesting as an actor. He basically plays the same character in everything he's in so you're inclined to pigeon hole him as a limited one note actor but he somehow manages to make it work in everything from Horrible Bosses to Ozark and The Outsider.:dunno:

1 hour ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Breaking Bad really does live up to the hype. You gotta keep watching though. It's a slow burn, but soooo good.

I've come across a few people who have tried watching it a few years late and they just haven't liked it. It's been a while for me and so much TV has happened since so I genuinely am not sure it's as great as I remember.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Yeah - Villeneuve, after Sicario, Blade Runner 2049 & Arrival ( and maybe even Prisoners), is one of those directors where I'll walk into any movie he makes because he's won so much credibility with me with all of those movies.

2049 is gorgeous and I need to catch that at the theater again. Like *everyone* thought it was a bad idea to make a sequel, but somehow they pulled it off.

Villeneuve is a director who I will see anything he makes. He's a bit like Nolan in that he can make large scale blockbusters but still manage to keep his voice and allow the audience to think, and make surprising decisions. Have to respect that. Having said all that, while 2049 is maybe one of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen, I didn't feel like it's plot added up to all that much

15 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I just finished up Ozark season 3 myself. I think it's excellent and this was another really strong season.

Jason Bateman's interesting as an actor. He basically plays the same character in everything he's in so you're inclined to pigeon hole him as a limited one note actor but he somehow manages to make it work in everything from Horrible Bosses to Ozark and The Outsider.:dunno:

Bateman I think reminds me of Adam Sandler in that he basically plays that same character all the time, but he pushes it one way or another so it's either broadly comic or horrifyingly dark. Who would have thought the kid from Teenwolf 2 would go on to be the guy in Ozark!

13 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I think Breaking Bad is what it is compared to most but it's not as good and has less humor. It's a serious and dark drama about a family using money laundering to escape their problems from various criminal problems, and thereby digging themselves into more criminal problems. Instead of the chemistry-solution-of-the-day style resolutions to an episode, you get a finance/business/accounting version of it to solve whatever problem is currently at hand.

The latest season is seriously violent... like full camera shots of decapitated bodies with dollar bills stuff into the neck cavities..

It also has Laura Linney, who irritates my nerves to the final degree.  Cannot watch her; especially cannot stand to listen to her.  The only role in which she worked, for me, that I've seen her in, was as Abigail Adams in the HBO John Adams. The reason for burdening all you with my personal reactions to LL is that many others -- whom I happen know -- too find her beyond annoying -- though clearly many others do not.

Archived