Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I've come across a few people who have tried watching it a few years late and they just haven't liked it. It's been a while for me and so much TV has happened since so I genuinely am not sure it's as great as I remember.

Villeneuve is a director who I will see anything he makes. He's a bit like Nolan in that he can make large scale blockbusters but still manage to keep his voice and allow the audience to think, and make surprising decisions. Have to respect that. Having said all that, while 2049 is maybe one of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen, I didn't feel like it's plot added up to all that much

Bateman I think reminds me of Adam Sandler in that he basically plays that same character all the time, but he pushes it one way or another so it's either broadly comic or horrifyingly dark. Who would have thought the kid from Teenwolf 2 would go on to be the guy in Ozark!

Breaking Bad is not for everyone.  It is much more quirky than The Sopranos and some people are not going to respond to a show that is quirky and also very, very dark.   But I do believe it holds up and I would put it as number 2 after The Sopranos as best TV in the modern era.  

I agree, 2049 did not do much for me, but yes, it was very beautiful.

5 hours ago, The Worm's Hole said:

I just realized Dune and The Many Saints of Newark are both coming out this year...I have to sit down.

given stuff getting bumped into the fall, isn't there a good chance Dune gets bumped to next year though? Given the cost, potential and hope for a sequel, it's probably a trickier movie to roll out than some one off but without the franchise bump of something like a Bond or MCU flick. 

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Actually the show I compare Ozark to a lot in my head is The Americans. Simply because it tends to rest on the dynamic of the husband and wife team, and that’s what makes it so interesting. 

That's a good point. Never thought of that before. 

I finished S1 of The Leftovers and really enjoyed it. The 2nd half of the season was pretty intense. Onto S2.

Has anyone seen Villeneuve’s more obscure films like Polytechnique or Maelstrom? I semi-recently watched Enemy and Incendies and loved both of them. I know close to nothing about Dune but Denis being involved has me very intrigued. 

5 hours ago, The Worm's Hole said:

I'm one of those weird people who never really got into the original Blade Runner. Like I know it says shit about personhood and what it means to be human, and tears in rain and such, but idk, just never clicked with me. I dont even really like Phillip K. Dick that much. So it's entirely possible 2049 was just wasted on me.

Arrival was brilliant, but it's kind of a stressful movie to watch. I do really like Prisoners a lot.

The original Blade Runner is an overrated piece of trash and I have repeatedly shat on it over the years in this very forum. It's a hugely important film in the cannon, but the movie gets more love than it deserves quality wise. The only really memorable scene in the whole damn movie was pretty much invented by Rutger on the damn spot!

That being said, I loved Blade Runner 2049. It's a vastly more interesting film. I still remember some of the mixture between music and images. Just visual poetry throughout. It even made Jared Leto interesting... Can you imagine how great a film needs to be to pull that feat off?

I haven't seen much of Villeneuve, but he seems to be a hit or miss director. I loved Blade Runner 2049, but I despised Sicario as the boring, barely incoherent playing at crime film it was. So 50/50 for me!

4 hours ago, Vaughn said:

given stuff getting bumped into the fall, isn't there a good chance Dune gets bumped to next year though? Given the cost, potential and hope for a sequel, it's probably a trickier movie to roll out than some one off but without the franchise bump of something like a Bond or MCU flick. 

For some of the films meant to be coming out later in the year I wonder if many of them might be having their filming interrupted due to the virus? It could be less of a problem if they're in post-production, but even then there could be some disruption to their schedule.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

The original Blade Runner is an overrated piece of trash

Blade Runner is so good. But as they say, pearls before swine... ;)

Blade Runner 2049 is a very bloated film and one of its pillars (Leto's character) is distractingly awful. Is it beautiful? Yes. Is it too fucking long? Hell yes.

I never loved the original Blade Runner, like the sequel it’s a movie that looks amazing but never gripped me or made me remember the story. There are elements to it that are incredibly interesting, great ideas, beautiful moments and lines. 

But outside out that last speech in the rain I felt nothing. That speech is brilliant though and made me want to go back and rewatch in case I’d not been watching properly. But I’ve rewatched it quite a few time’s now and still don’t love it.

So I think that the sequel was rather fitting.

Also, I hope someone stops Jared Leto, please stop it mate, stop doing anything.

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

The original Blade Runner is an overrated piece of trash and I have repeatedly shat on it over the years in this very forum. It's a hugely important film in the cannon, but the movie gets more love than it deserves quality wise. The only really memorable scene in the whole damn movie was pretty much invented by Rutger on the damn spot!

That being said, I loved Blade Runner 2049. It's a vastly more interesting film. I still remember some of the mixture between music and images. Just visual poetry throughout. It even made Jared Leto interesting... Can you imagine how great a film needs to be to pull that feat off?

I haven't seen much of Villeneuve, but he seems to be a hit or miss director. I loved Blade Runner 2049, but I despised Sicario as the boring, barely incoherent playing at crime film it was. So 50/50 for me!

This is entire post is 50/50 for me. :P Ok more like 70/30 agree with you. I, too, love 2049, and Arrival was excellent, and I think Sicario is a bit overrated. 

On the original BR, I don't think it's trash, but it is overrated. It is a highly simplistic story with only some nuance given by Rutger Hauer, set in an interesting world.

I watched Imperium earlier today. It stars Daniel Radcliffe, who plays an FBI agent who's tasked to infiltrate a White Supremacist group. The movie had some wonderfully tense moments in it, with a strong performance from Radcliffe. Toni Collette was great as usual.

7 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I finished S1 of The Leftovers and really enjoyed it. The 2nd half of the season was pretty intense. Onto S2.

Has anyone seen Villeneuve’s more obscure films like Polytechnique or Maelstrom? I semi-recently watched Enemy and Incendies and loved both of them. I know close to nothing about Dune but Denis being involved has me very intrigued. 

I saw Polytechnique a few years ago. It’s a tough watch. For obvious reasons. Delphine from Orphan Black is in it. 

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

This is entire post is 50/50 for me. :P Ok more like 70/30 agree with you. I, too, love 2049, and Arrival was excellent, and I think Sicario is a bit overrated. 

I'll take those %! There is such a herd mentality when it comes to these type of classics. It is always tough to break through it :) 

Still haven't seen Arrival, precisely because I disliked Sicario so much. Should remedy that one of these days, as it does seem to be one of the more interesting films of the decades if I go off on what people say. 

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

On the original BR, I don't think it's trash, but it is overrated. It is a highly simplistic story with only some nuance given by Rutger Hauer, set in an interesting world.

Apart from Rutger Hauer's stroke of brilliance, I think the only other thing in Blade Runner one should really give credit too is the aesthetic of the world it was set in. That's what made Blade Runner so influential at the end of the day.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Blade Runner is so good. But as they say, pearls before swine... ;)

Don't bring Jesus in to this Ran, he would definitely share my opinion on Blade Runner :P

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Blade Runner 2049 is a very bloated film and one of its pillars (Leto's character) is distractingly awful. Is it beautiful? Yes. Is it too fucking long? Hell yes.

I have a tendency to ignore long run times in movies I find interesting, so I won't argue on the last point. Disagree with you Leto as stated earlier, he might be distractingly awful, but his character isn't ;) 

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

But outside out that last speech in the rain I felt nothing. That speech is brilliant though and made me want to go back and rewatch in case I’d not been watching properly. But I’ve rewatched it quite a few time’s now and still don’t love it.

Had a similar experience. Although I wouldn't say that I rewatched it more than 2 times. Still, that speech Hauer makes is brilliant. Really top 10 movie soliloquys ever.

I'm in the middle of rewatching Firefly (for the thousandth time), but this time with my 14 yo daughter, an MCU fangirl. At first she found it a bit old fashioned, but ok. Though I can tell around Our Mrs. Reynolds/Jaynestown she really got hooked. And she watched Out of gas with her jaw dropped. :) Of course she adores Simon, just like I adored Kaylee all those years ago, when I first watched it. Eh, sweet times.

Yeah, the length of a movie doesn't bother me if I'm engaged throughout the movie, like I was with 2049 & Zodiac, but they can feel ponderous when you're not engaged ( I liked The Irishman, but I certainly felt like it was a little long)

About halfway through s3 of Ozark. The tension just keeps building and building. Navarro is one evil bastard.

Also started the Polish series, The Mire. Crime drama set in 1980s Poland. Two journalists working together to uncover the truth of the murder of a communist party official.

13 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I'm in the middle of rewatching Firefly (for the thousandth time), but this time with my 14 yo daughter, an MCU fangirl. At first she found it a bit old fashioned, but ok. Though I can tell around Our Mrs. Reynolds/Jaynestown she really got hooked. And she watched Out of gas with her jaw dropped. :) Of course she adores Simon, just like I adored Kaylee all those years ago, when I first watched it. Eh, sweet times.

Our Mrs. Reynolds and Jaynestown were definitely the two funniest episodes of the series.  

15 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I think the only other thing in Blade Runner one should really give credit too is the aesthetic of the world it was set in. That's what made Blade Runner so influential at the end of the day.

Speaking of the aesthetic and influence -- it enthralled the mind and eye of Bill Gibson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jodhaa Akbar (2008) on Netflix, continuing with real escape from my own time and place, with brilliantly vivid palette.  15th C, Mughal expansion into India.  I love these historical epics.  The battle scenes are incomparable -- plus elephants!  These are long films, like 3 hours, so I treat them as series, watch for a while and then do something else.  In any case the Mughals (from the Mongols) always fascinate me.

Since the Ozark thread is archived and this comment doesn't warrant a whole new one:

S3E5 Spoiler

Spoiler

Darlene and Wyatt?!? :ack: Ewwwww

In other news, and to get the above taste out of my mouth:

Blade Runner 2049 is interesting in that it should have been a snoozefest of a film for me but I quite liked it anyway. It's visually spectacular and I love thinking about the themes that it covers (which is not something I generally do when watching movies). I haven't rewatched it since the theaters, but remember flipping past it on HBO and being sucked in for 30 minutes of watching just from the sheer beauty of it. Not sure how it would hold up on an entire re-watch.

BR2049 holds up (if you liked it to begin with). I've watched on a plane (perhaps the second worst option after a phone) and it was still compelling and it was on sale on iTunes a few months back so I bought it. 

Archived