Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

Christopher Titus is putting up an episode of his series a day on YouTube free to watch. There's 8 or 9 episodes up as of today. He's also putting up all his comedy specials.

Netflix is streets ahead with Community (all 6 seasons! [but no movie]) finally arriving there. Also Happy! season 2 is up.

Netflix have of course re added Contagion to their library, so like the rest of the UK I had to watch it

Not the first time I’d seen it but it’s a very different viewing experience now obviously. 

As a dramatic movie it’s a real failure, it jumps between a series of mildly interesting plotlines and characters but never does any of them justice. Matt Damon’s character being by far the most interesting but you felt he should have gotten a whole movie focusing on just him, rather than the snippets. It tries to do far too much in a short runtime.

But as an almost documentary about what’s happening now it’s pretty thrilling to watch, especially the realisation of the bat link, social distancing and internet rumours. I’m just hoping we don’t start getting the looting and home invasions predicted 

We also rewatched Contagion and yeah, all of those close ups of the peanut bowl, handles, etc. showing how easy it is to transmit.....

Agree, as a film it was not very good, I also oddly did not find Kate Winslet very credible as a top scientist, not sure why. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

This I just don’t get. I can understand Midsommar being boring to some, or not their cup of tea, but to say it’s horribly made? And straight trash? It’s brilliantly acted (especially Florence Pugh) and has characters that feel like real people, not just horror cliches. It’s gorgeously shot (one of the most vibrant looking films I’ve seen in years honestly). Ari Aster is one of the best young directors working right now for my money. Both Hereditary and Midsommar stayed with me long after seeing them for the first time. 

Yeah, I will agree that Midsommar was a well made film.  Very pretty, well-shot, and well-acted.  I just found it boring as fuck.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time watching Hereditary.  That just wasn't the case with Midsommar.  I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and, outside of the first few minutes, it never really does.

9 hours ago, Isis said:

I suppose you all think The Wicker Man is rubbish too?

My immediate thought on reading this was to remember the Nicholas Cage version and now i keep giggling to myself. 

I think my isolation may have gone on too long...

Need to get this in before a new thread is started - I finished up Justified on Friday.  Really enjoyed season 6, loved all the twists and turns - especially finding out that Boyd was a smoker.  Great ending, doesn't reach the top tier for me, but it's definitely second tier.  

Watched season 3 of Ozark the past two days.  It was good.  Julia Garner was fantastic as usual.  I think she ends up killing

Wendy

whenever the final season is.  I've never been as enamored with this show as others have, but I think this might have been my favorite season so far.  The other show that this one reminds me the most of is Bloodline - this season especially.  Feels like they plucked Ben right out of that show.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Yeah, I will agree that Midsommar was a well made film.  Very pretty, well-shot, and well-acted.  I just found it boring as fuck.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time watching Hereditary.  That just wasn't the case with Midsommar.  I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and, outside of the first few minutes, it never really does.

I feel like Hereditary being so damn good and suspenseful was a big reason why some didn’t care for Midsommar. But I get it being as divisive as it seems to be. It was long and dragged some, wasn’t scary, fairly predictable and had a few over-the-top silly scenes.

I personally loved it, but during a watch of the Director’s cut I did start to get kinda bored at times. It’s definitely not a film I’ll be able to view as much as Hereditary, which I don’t think I can ever get sick of.

44 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I feel like Hereditary being so damn good and suspenseful was a big reason why some didn’t care for Midsommar. But I get it being as divisive as it seems to be. It was long and dragged some, wasn’t scary, fairly predictable and had a few over-the-top silly scenes.

I personally loved it, but during a watch of the Director’s cut I did start to get kinda bored at times. It’s definitely not a film I’ll be able to view as much as Hereditary, which I don’t think I can ever get sick of.

I don't think I could ever watch Hereditary again, it scared me so thoroughly. Meanwhile Midsommar is something I'll probably catch on HBO semi-annually. I loved both.

14 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I don't think I could ever watch Hereditary again, it scared me so thoroughly. Meanwhile Midsommar is something I'll probably catch on HBO semi-annually. I loved both.

Jacefretiri! 

8 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Need to get this in before a new thread is started - I finished up Justified on Friday.  Really enjoyed season 6, loved all the twists and turns - especially finding out that Boyd was a smoker.  Great ending, doesn't reach the top tier for me, but it's definitely second tier.  

Watched season 3 of Ozark the past two days.  It was good.  Julia Garner was fantastic as usual.  I think she ends up killing

Reveal hidden contents

Wendy

whenever the final season is.  I've never been as enamored with this show as others have, but I think this might have been my favorite season so far.  The other show that this one reminds me the most of is Bloodline - this season especially.  Feels like they plucked Ben right out of that show.

Agreed on Justified. Not quite Breaking Bad or Sopranos level on a whole, but it's damn close. This was one of the shows I followed pretty regularly week to week. So I'm not sure how well it binges. 

And Ozark is certainly setting S4 up for the possibility of your prediction to come to fruition. I'm not certain how I'm wanting the series to end. Honestly, after watching S3...

I'm kind of more sympathetic towards Wendy after seeing how she had to deal with her brother. Ruth really did fuck up by getting Ben out and not making sure he stayed on his meds. But it definitely looks like Ruth is being set up to become the heir to Darlene's opium empire. I would be surprised if Darlene made it out of S4 alive.

As for Wendy vs Ruth. It could go either way. If the series ends in a Breaking Bad sort of way then I'd say, yeah, the cartel gets busted, Marty goes to jail, Wendy ends up dead, Ruth ends up the new Darlene running the farm.

But if it ends in a Sopranos or Shield sort of way, Marty & Ruth would likely end up dead. Wendy would be stuck in the cartel's clutches for the rest of her life, her kids likely estranged from her.

I am fully caught up on Homeland. Getting Showtime free right now due to the rona issues so I figured it would be a good time to watch this. First season or two I thought were really good, but then it seems to fall into the escalation trap where the big thing has to be bigger each season. If I didn't have some extra free time on my hands I wouldn't have finished it, or caught up to current season anyway.  One thing, did anyone here watch this and was there a drinking game associated with it? I swear you would get wasted if you took a shot every time Carrie made that pffft sound!!! Driving me insane!

I was watching The Americans and put it on hold to binge Homeland while i have Showtime. Thinking I am going to watch S3 of Ozark first then get back to Americans.

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

I am fully caught up on Homeland. Getting Showtime free right now due to the rona issues so I figured it would be a good time to watch this. First season or two I thought were really good, but then it seems to fall into the escalation trap where the big thing has to be bigger each season. If I didn't have some extra free time on my hands I wouldn't have finished it, or caught up to current season anyway.  One thing, did anyone here watch this and was there a drinking game associated with it? I swear you would get wasted if you took a shot every time Carrie made that pffft sound!!! Driving me insane!

I was watching The Americans and put it on hold to binge Homeland while i have Showtime. Thinking I am going to watch S3 of Ozark first then get back to Americans.

The correct answer is ALWAYS to watch the Americans first. 

16 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Agreed on Justified. Not quite Breaking Bad or Sopranos level on a whole, but it's damn close. This was one of the shows I followed pretty regularly week to week. So I'm not sure how well it binges. 

I love Justified but if we're being honest the second season is the only one that comes close to Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. They really lost the plot in the "crowe cousins" season. 

And in general, that show always got by on the acting, not the writing.  That whole "Who is Drew?" "oh yeah he's this guy cause we like Jim Beaver." season is also bad. 

Edit: I just remembered the Ava is the new black plotline. Terrible. 

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I love Justified but if we're being honest the second season is the only one that comes close to Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. They really lost the plot in the "crowe cousins" season. 

I love Justified too but it's not Tier 1 (and I don't solidly put even Breaking Bad or The Sopranos in that tier personally). I need to re-watch Season 2 but I think Season 4 is my favorites personally. Season 5 was such a massive letdown after that... it's definitely the worst season and really knocks the show's totality down a notch.  

Just now, WarGalley said:

I love Justified too but it's not Tier 1 (and I don't solidly put even Breaking Bad or The Sopranos in that tier personally). I need to re-watch Season 2 but I think Season 4 is my favorites personally. Season 5 was such a massive letdown after that... it's definitely the worst season and really knocks the show's totality down a notch.  

I don't consider Breaking Bad to be tier one either. Sopranos though? I've got to ask. 

6 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

The Sopranos not a top tier show? Crazy talk. 

14 minutes ago, Mexal said:

We're through season 4 of Sopranos for the first time. So good. I completely get the hype.

The S4 finale Whitecaps is still the best acting I’ve ever seen on a tv show. James Gandolfini and Edie Falco were both outstanding. 

Archived