RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

57 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Episode 6 is one of my favorites. Carrie Coon :wub:

Yup. I just finished it and that episode was great, and she was excellent.

I signed back up to Hulu whilst stuck at home, so just started season 1 of Scrubs. Been a while since I've seen the early episodes, but man I forgot how much I love this show.

I’m only on the second episode, but Tiger King is absolutely insane.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Of course I watched Sean of the Dead as it seems wildly appropriate during these times. 

It’s been a while since I’d seen it at I have to say I liked it even more than I used to. One of the things that kinda used to get to me was that I was so heavily invested in Spaced, that I found it kind of off seeing the same actors playing slightly different roles. Nick Frost especially never quite gelled for me as I was such a fan of Mike and his character in SotD always felt a bit ‘acted’. But some time and space has allowed me to like him a lot more and get over it.

I first saw Spaced in an old movie theatre in Toronto with Edgar Wright (who was in town prepping Scott Pilgrim) periodically talking and telling stories before/between seasons, the intermission, as well at the end, in a 8 hour free marathon.  When I went upstairs to the balcony level washrooms, I saw Wright on a couch chatting with people.  I mimed what Sean does at the Winchester, raising my invisible beer stein and gave him a wink.  He laughed.

Edited by SpaceChampion

We’re rewatching Jeeves & Wooster.  It’s still great light-hearted fun, even if I have to pause every few minutes to translate for my wife and son.  Wodehouse had a great skill for repartee.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m only on the second episode, but Tiger King is absolutely insane.

Damn it Tywin et al. I was coming here right now to make exactly the same post. What the fuck is this weird subculture? :lol:

Spoiler

That Carol lady creeps me out truly. She's far more intimidating than our crazy hilbilly lead or the yoga Momon or the narco... just the fact that I can give these nicknames is amazing though :bowdown:

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Damn it Tywin et al. I was coming here right now to make exactly the same post. What the fuck is this weird subculture? :lol:

Hide contents

That Carol lady creeps me out truly. She's far more intimidating than our crazy hilbilly lead or the yoga Momon or the narco... just the fact that I can give these nicknames is amazing though :bowdown:

Joe Exotic is awesome in a truly terrible way, Also, pretty sure Carol murdered her husband. I am going to fly through this one.

Finished The Valhalla Murders. The secondary mystery was much more interesting than the initial one. Decent moody Icelandic crime drama.

48 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Rewatching Wolf Hall. The performances are even better than I remember. One of my favorite adaptations for sure.

Is this ever getting another season?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Joe Exotic is awesome in a truly terrible way, Also, pretty sure Carol murdered her husband. I am going to fly through this one.

Oh yea, totally. “Here kitty kitty” is the best music video ever.

Edited by Mexal

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I still have a lot to see, but after the first episode I just decided to read a bit about the people. I know I have a lot more to enjoy.

Just trying to decide after I read and do a bit of yoga if I should keep going with this or watch 1917 since its already been rented at my place. 

Anyways, time for some scotch ;) 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still have a lot to see, but after the first episode I just decided to read a bit about the people. I know I have a lot more to enjoy.

Just trying to decide after I read and do a bit of yoga if I should keep going with this or watch 1917 since its already been rented at my place. 

Anyways, time for some scotch ;) 

I’m watching episode 3 of Tiger King and drinking a scotch. Very good idea. Episode 3 is all about Carol.

Side note, I really liked 1917.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Is this ever getting another season?

I think so actually whenever they can actually start filming again. The third book of the trilogy just came out 

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

Can't argue with that. It's quite catchy as a song as well XD

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Up to episode 4 now! Tonight I'll watch the rest... Crazy man although Joe 

Spoiler

became less sympathetic in episode 4. Pretty sure he burned the alligators. Unbelievable these people!

10 hours ago, Mexal said:

Side note, I really liked 1917.

I'll join the 1917/Tiger King cross-over love fest!

In the last few days, I finally watched a few crap movies from last year.

Hobbs & Shaw - mindless entertainment; they broke the ratio of comedic banter vs plot and action, which made the movie longer than it was necessary.

Brightburn - disappointing; I hoped for more. I especially disliked how the story unfolded. Every time the kid would say or do something disturbing, I would wonder what the consequences of that would be. Instead they simply cut to the next scene, because they cared more about gory deaths than meaningful moments.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - I had very low expectations. By the end, I really felt nothing. The train fight sequence was the only decent moment if the whole movie. Aliens vs mutants should have been more exciting than this.

The first two episodes of Westworld and The Mandalorian have been pleasant distractions. 

We've been doing more gaming than watching during our isolation but we squeezed in a couple of films: True Story (about stolen identity and the value of the truth) and Out of Thin Air (a documentary about a double murder in Iceland in the 1970s where the subsequent confessions given by a number of young people become confused and unravel). The latter reminded me of The Confession Killers (which is also worth watching) because of the behaviour of the police who were investigating the crimes. 

Posted (edited)

Historical action film set in the 18th C Marathan Empire Hindustan, Panipat -- Great Betrayal (2019). Recall at the same time (1751) the East India Company is warring to take out the Mughal Empire on the other side of the subcontinent. This event helped them.  Around 1805, the EIC begins its war upon the Marathan and Hindu kingdoms.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/movie-reviews/panipat/movie-review/72375755.cms

Ashutosh Gowariker’s magnum opus ‘Panipat’ is based on historical facts, taking some creative liberties along the way. Shadashivrao Bhau (Arjun Kapoor), is an able commander in his cousin Nanasaheb Peshwa’s (Mohnish Bahl) army. After a victorious battle against the Nizam of Udgir, Shadashivrao Bhau is chosen by the Maratha Peshwa to lead their army to Delhi. Ahmad Shah Abdali (Sanjay Dutt), the king of Afghanistan, has set his inroads into India after forming an alliance with Najib-Ud-Daula (Mantra) with the intention to defeat the Marathas and curb their expanding power....

.... ‘Panipat’ packs in a layered narrative that delves into the complex politics of the period, the intricate workings of war strategies versus might, negotiation dynamics and the importance of forming alliances. And it also weaves in the love story between Shadashivrao Bhau and Parvati Bai. In fact, the chemistry between Kriti Sanon and Arjun Kapoor as their love story develops, is one of the high points of the film. But with a run-time of close to three hours and the many characters and plot points the film touches upon it becomes a lengthy and at times, tedious watch....[Z here: no matter, because the final battle sequence is spectacular!]

There are spectacular dance numbers, and singing interludes, which these i don't like and never have. However the colors are brilliant, and it makes one feel so much better seeing that vivid palette, all that gold and truck loads of pearls, rubies and emeralds. 

Edited by Zorral

Just over halfway through season 3 of Justified.  Enjoying it much more than I remembered (the last 4 seasons kind of bleed together for me), Neal McDonough and Mykelti Williamson are both great as Quarles and Limehouse respectively.  The machinations they through at Raylan in episode 8 are fantastic.  This will be finished today.

Was wanting in the contemporary fantasy realm, so I rewatched season 1 of True Blood earlier this week.  It came out right around the same time as Justified, and while it was never as good, I was hoping it would and I was hoping it would hold up enough to be considered watchable... it really did not.  That was pretty damn terrible.  Unfortunately my desire for contemporary fantasy has not been sated, so I may end up watching season 2.

Finished Tiger King. It was good throughout, but it becomes far less enjoyable near the end, simply because 

Spoiler

they all turn out to be horrible people and the bad guys win. I can't believe how everyone keeps trusting this Jeff guy. And Carol and her husband are just barf-worthy "definitely a champagne and brie evening" :thumbsdown: 

On top of that, Joe really doesn't turn out any better than the others. Or perhaps a little better, but not enough to matter. 

Oh, and the American justice system is definitely broken.