Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

22 minutes ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Anybody seen THX 1138? George Lucas was actually a pretty experimental filmmaker before Star Wars. Interesting stuff.

That and American Graffiti are good movies.. though THX 1138 is maybe more 'interesting' than it is 'great'.

26 minutes ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Anybody seen THX 1138? George Lucas was actually a pretty experimental filmmaker before Star Wars. Interesting stuff.

Lucas’s reputation in film school was that he was going to be the great auteur. You can find some Youtube videos featuring his student films, “Look at Life” and “Freiheit”.

THX 1138 is very much in the Brave New World dystopic vein, with a deliberate sterility that brings to mind Kubrick’s 2001, which was doubtless an influence.

American Graffiti is a wonderful film. The sequel, not so much.

Red Son

I've never read the comic since I'm not so enthusiastic about comic hero deconstruction as I used to be (which is why I've never watched The Boys) so I dunno how closely this f followed its source .  Nonetheless, I feel this is another very good entry in DC's animated films.

Spoiler

- I was surprised that Batsy wasn't the one that took Supes down and in fact, was an actual terrorist.

- Lex Luthor finally became the hero Mainstream Clark believes he always wanted to be and actually had a happy ending (!) with Lois.

As for the way Superman is portrayed,  well  I'm glad it wasn't an eviI Supes but rather a flawed,  basically good-hearted man whose lost his way.   ( I can't help but feel the influence of Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme.)

Also: Diana's sexuality was done light- handedly.  Can't say I didn't find the man-bashing tiresome, though. Lois Lane was consistently better portrayed.

51 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Speaking of Justified, how great would Nick Offerman been on that show? 

He would have been great.  I'm surprised they didn't try to shoehorn him into season five with all the other cameos they had in that season that didn't live up to their potential.  That's one of things I like least about season five, so many meaningless pop-ins.  The ridiculous contrivance they used to keep

Ava in prison was another

As was Danny Crowe, mercifully

Dilly didn't last long at all

Another disappointment was Jean Baptiste

getting killed so early by Danny, but if I recall correctly I think the actor didn't enjoy working on the show and asked to leave.

Maybe that threw too big a wrench into the season's over all arc?  I did enjoy the last bit at the end, and am definitely looking forward to watching season 6 tomorrow.

Finishing up rewatching season 3 of The Last Kingdom tonight.  Other than

Skade

I've enjoyed the hell out of this one again.  David Dawson had an amazing performance all throughout - especially in episode 9 that I'm watching now.  Forgot that it was 10 episodes, and that was a pleasant surprise.

I’ve started The Expanse S2.  Good so far.  The (apparent) adherence to real physics in the world building and action sequences puts all other SF to shame. 

Adding 0.02 on BladeRunner: the moody tone and visuals are awesome, but my wife made me turn them both off within 20 minutes.  She was just bored to death. I don’t know what happens in the rest of the movies, but a famous spoiler from the original could not be avoided. 

Ok Season 3 of Ozark is unbearably good. The tension has ramped up to huge levels and episode 9 has left me an emotional wreck.

That this show waited 3 seasons to get Wendy’s brother in, is amazing. This guy is like the best thing the show has ever done. Words cannot describe his performance which has everything. Another actor could have really misjudged that character, and gone too far. But he manages to be wild and terrifying whilst at the same time vulnerable as a child. It’s a mesmerising piece of acting and he needs to win awards. 

Bravo.

Speaking of Ozark, finished it. I liked it much more than S2, which I thought had a number of pointless story lines. I do still find Marty to be pretty much a non-entity on this show -- though Bateman seems to be a pretty good director! -- and for me it really rests on Laura Linney (whom I love) and Julia Garner. Regarding Tom Pelphery as Ben... I'm a bit more mixed on this. I really enjoyed him to begin with, but as 

Spoiler

as character's bipolar disorder became increasingly part of the plot, it felt increasingly like just a plot device and the character fell into a rut of doing the worst possible thing at the worst possible time repeatedly. I felt the writing depicting him as essentially becoming child-like in his naivety was far from the reality of what people in the throws of mania are like. Not the actor's fault, it's a writing issue. 

I'm concerned about where S4 will go for this show. Feels like it's straining credulity further and further. But it was an enjoyable ride for this season, anyways.

I watched The Royal Tenenbaums. I have seen it before, probably over a decade ago so I didn't remember it all that clearly. I also rewatched The Grand Budapest Hotel a few weeks ago and out of the two of them I liked GBH a lot more. They do have plenty of similarities but I thought GBH had a lot more comedy where tRT was only intermittently amusing. While they both have very quirky characters I found the characters in GBH to be much more likeable, whereas the characters in tRT were mostly just annoying.

31 minutes ago, Ran said:

Speaking of Ozark, finished it. I liked it much more than S2, which I thought had a number of pointless story lines. I do still find Marty to be pretty much a non-entity on this show -- though Bateman seems to be a pretty good director! -- and for me it really rests on Laura Linney (whom I love) and Julia Garner. Regarding Tom Pelphery as Ben... I'm a bit more mixed on this. I really enjoyed him to begin with, but as 

Reveal hidden contents

as character's bipolar disorder became increasingly part of the plot, it felt increasingly like just a plot device and the character fell into a rut of doing the worst possible thing at the worst possible time repeatedly. I felt the writing depicting him as essentially becoming child-like in his naivety was far from the reality of what people in the throws of mania are like. Not the actor's fault, it's a writing issue. 

I'm concerned about where S4 will go for this show. Feels like it's straining credulity further and further. But it was an enjoyable ride for this season, anyways.

Can’t totally disagree with what you said only that:

Spoiler

I think the show shouldn’t have defined what Ben has as bipolar because that puts it in a tidy box. Not all bipolar people act like him and to be honest tv rarely gets that right. Better to have left it undefined.

Having said that I have family members who maybe would have been called bipolar these days and I recognised a lot in his performances.

6 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I watched The Royal Tenenbaums. I have seen it before, probably over a decade ago so I didn't remember it all that clearly. I also rewatched The Grand Budapest Hotel a few weeks ago and out of the two of them I liked GBH a lot more. They do have plenty of similarities but I thought GBH had a lot more comedy where tRT was only intermittently amusing. While they both have very quirky characters I found the characters in GBH to be much more likeable, whereas the characters in tRT were mostly just annoying.

I think I also like Grand Budapest more, but I remember Tenenbaums being one of those movies like The Big Lebowski where you watch it once and are like "...okay." and then you watch it again and find it funnier for some reason. 

"Everyone knows Custer died at little bighorn. but what this book presupposes is....maybe he didn't?" 

44 minutes ago, Ran said:

I do still find Marty to be pretty much a non-entity on this show -- though Bateman seems to be a pretty good director!

I feel like he's basically still playing Micheal Bluth but in different circumstances? I don't get the impression he has a lot of range as an actor.

46 minutes ago, Ran said:

Feels like it's straining credulity further and further. But it was an enjoyable ride for this season, anyways.

I think that's always a risk in a show like this where they don't have an ending mapped out. The first season they barely cheat death it's a neat story.  Then after a few more seasons of that it all stacks up and you're like "how are these people still alive and not in jail?" 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I feel like he's basically still playing Micheal Bluth but in different circumstances? I don't get the impression he has a lot of range as an actor.

Maybe. He was pretty approachable, emotionally, as Terry Maitland in The Outsider. But the character here is depicted as extremely reserved and calculated, so yeah, not much opportunity to play out his range. You can do it with a character like that, but... he's not doing it, anyways. Nothing against Bateman, really, it's just his character here is a dead zone IMO, only interesting in how he figures out the mechanics of the next laundering scheme. Linney is definitely the heart of the Byrde family story.

Speaking of Ben earlier...

Spoiler

It's no coincidence that Ben mentions his father in that taxi cab monologue, yes? What odds he shows up next season, wondering what's become of his son and what the hell is going on with his daughter and her family?

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think I also like Grand Budapest more, but I remember Tenenbaums being one of those movies like The Big Lebowski where you watch it once and are like "...okay." and then you watch it again and find it funnier for some reason. 

"Everyone knows Custer died at little bighorn. but what this book presupposes is....maybe he didn't?"

It's possible I watched it too far apart to get that effect. There were definitely some good lines in it, I think all the bits with Owen Wilson talking about his book were amusing.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

This just made me really hope we still get The French Dispatch this year

12 hours ago, Ran said:

Maybe. He was pretty approachable, emotionally, as Terry Maitland in The Outsider. But the character here is depicted as extremely reserved and calculated, so yeah, not much opportunity to play out his range. You can do it with a character like that, but... he's not doing it, anyways. Nothing against Bateman, really, it's just his character here is a dead zone IMO, only interesting in how he figures out the mechanics of the next laundering scheme. Linney is definitely the heart of the Byrde family story.

Speaking of Ben earlier...

Reveal hidden contents

It's no coincidence that Ben mentions his father in that taxi cab monologue, yes? What odds he shows up next season, wondering what's become of his son and what the hell is going on with his daughter and her family?

Dunno if I agree with that. I think that his character has grown over the seasons, become more ruthless and self confident. Some events this season push him in a direction, although I’d say the season as a whole moved the focus off him to concentrate on other plot lines. 

Because he acts so reserved it’s easy to just label him as a dead zone, but actually I think Bateman has added a lot of subtlety to the performance. I’m assuming he won’t go full Heisenberg but there’s definitely a trajectory there.

Started watching Ozark from the start, it hasn’t grabbed me halfway into the first season but I am planning to stick it out for the long haul for lack of anything else to do at the moment.

Also started Castlevania which is decent for a video game adaptation.

And because boredom makes fools of us all I took this “which tv/movie character are you” quiz https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/characters/

According to my top 25, I may be a huge asshole :blink:

1. April Ludgate (Park and Recreation): 88%
  2. Moaning Myrtle (Harry Potter): 85%
  3. Seth (Superbad): 84%
  4. Ian Duncan (Community): 83%
  5. Marla Singer (Fight Club): 83%
  6. Ziggy Sobotka (The Wire): 83%
  7. Jane Margolis (Breaking Bad): 82%
  8. Janis Ian (Mean Girls): 82%
  9. Jimmy McGill (Breaking Bad): 81%
  10. Ben Chang (Community): 81%
  11. Haymitch Abernathy (The Hunger Games): 81%