Sign in to follow this  
RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

Posted (edited)

Lost is excellent, actually.

Anyway - mostly watching Devs & The Walking Dead - I know people fucking hate S2 of the walking dead, but I kinda like it. I think the first two seasons are quite good ( though a lot of the writing can be a little cringe)

Edited by Raja

1 minute ago, The Worm's Hole said:

I just realized Dune and The Many Saints of Newark are both coming out this year...I have to sit down.

You won't like Dune. It's being made by an artist.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Did you mean auteur?

No. Because Villenue is a fucking artist. Auteur is a neutral connotation indicating degree of author(ity). Artist suggests the capability to induce strong - and intentioned - feelings on behalf of the observer.

ETA: Second 'artist' was in the plural.

Edited by Jace, Basilissa

23 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I predict you won’t make it far into s3

18 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Season 3 ended that show for me. S1 was amazing and really drew me in, S2 was not as good, S3 was it for me. I find Dana to be an all-time horrendous kid character. Annoying as hell. Good luck.

There must be something wrong with me, I have liked S3 so far, way more than S2. Well at least since she has been out of the hospital, i almost quit during that time.

Yeah - Villeneuve, after Sicario, Blade Runner 2049 & Arrival ( and maybe even Prisoners), is one of those directors where I'll walk into any movie he makes because he's won so much credibility with me with all of those movies.

2049 is gorgeous and I need to catch that at the theater again. Like *everyone* thought it was a bad idea to make a sequel, but somehow they pulled it off.

33 minutes ago, Raja said:

Yeah - Villeneuve, after Sicario, Blade Runner 2049 & Arrival ( and maybe even Prisoners), is one of those directors where I'll walk into any movie he makes because he's won so much credibility with me with all of those movies

Same. Sicario and 2049 are two of my favorite movies. 

1 minute ago, Mark Antony said:

Same. Sicario and 2049 are two of my favorite movies. 

Yeah, and I'm not even a huge fan of the original - I was born like a decade after it came out and only really watched it so I could watch 2049 - but I still loved every bit of 2049.

I just finished up Ozark season 3 myself. I think it's excellent and this was another really strong season.

Jason Bateman's interesting as an actor. He basically plays the same character in everything he's in so you're inclined to pigeon hole him as a limited one note actor but he somehow manages to make it work in everything from Horrible Bosses to Ozark and The Outsider.:dunno:

1 hour ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Breaking Bad really does live up to the hype. You gotta keep watching though. It's a slow burn, but soooo good.

I've come across a few people who have tried watching it a few years late and they just haven't liked it. It's been a while for me and so much TV has happened since so I genuinely am not sure it's as great as I remember.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Yeah - Villeneuve, after Sicario, Blade Runner 2049 & Arrival ( and maybe even Prisoners), is one of those directors where I'll walk into any movie he makes because he's won so much credibility with me with all of those movies.

2049 is gorgeous and I need to catch that at the theater again. Like *everyone* thought it was a bad idea to make a sequel, but somehow they pulled it off.

Villeneuve is a director who I will see anything he makes. He's a bit like Nolan in that he can make large scale blockbusters but still manage to keep his voice and allow the audience to think, and make surprising decisions. Have to respect that. Having said all that, while 2049 is maybe one of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen, I didn't feel like it's plot added up to all that much

15 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I just finished up Ozark season 3 myself. I think it's excellent and this was another really strong season.

Jason Bateman's interesting as an actor. He basically plays the same character in everything he's in so you're inclined to pigeon hole him as a limited one note actor but he somehow manages to make it work in everything from Horrible Bosses to Ozark and The Outsider.:dunno:

Bateman I think reminds me of Adam Sandler in that he basically plays that same character all the time, but he pushes it one way or another so it's either broadly comic or horrifyingly dark. Who would have thought the kid from Teenwolf 2 would go on to be the guy in Ozark!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I think Breaking Bad is what it is compared to most but it's not as good and has less humor. It's a serious and dark drama about a family using money laundering to escape their problems from various criminal problems, and thereby digging themselves into more criminal problems. Instead of the chemistry-solution-of-the-day style resolutions to an episode, you get a finance/business/accounting version of it to solve whatever problem is currently at hand.

The latest season is seriously violent... like full camera shots of decapitated bodies with dollar bills stuff into the neck cavities..

It also has Laura Linney, who irritates my nerves to the final degree.  Cannot watch her; especially cannot stand to listen to her.  The only role in which she worked, for me, that I've seen her in, was as Abigail Adams in the HBO John Adams. The reason for burdening all you with my personal reactions to LL is that many others -- whom I happen know -- too find her beyond annoying -- though clearly many others do not.

Edited by Zorral

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I've come across a few people who have tried watching it a few years late and they just haven't liked it. It's been a while for me and so much TV has happened since so I genuinely am not sure it's as great as I remember.

Villeneuve is a director who I will see anything he makes. He's a bit like Nolan in that he can make large scale blockbusters but still manage to keep his voice and allow the audience to think, and make surprising decisions. Have to respect that. Having said all that, while 2049 is maybe one of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen, I didn't feel like it's plot added up to all that much

Bateman I think reminds me of Adam Sandler in that he basically plays that same character all the time, but he pushes it one way or another so it's either broadly comic or horrifyingly dark. Who would have thought the kid from Teenwolf 2 would go on to be the guy in Ozark!

Breaking Bad is not for everyone.  It is much more quirky than The Sopranos and some people are not going to respond to a show that is quirky and also very, very dark.   But I do believe it holds up and I would put it as number 2 after The Sopranos as best TV in the modern era.  

I agree, 2049 did not do much for me, but yes, it was very beautiful.

5 hours ago, The Worm's Hole said:

I just realized Dune and The Many Saints of Newark are both coming out this year...I have to sit down.

given stuff getting bumped into the fall, isn't there a good chance Dune gets bumped to next year though? Given the cost, potential and hope for a sequel, it's probably a trickier movie to roll out than some one off but without the franchise bump of something like a Bond or MCU flick. 

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Actually the show I compare Ozark to a lot in my head is The Americans. Simply because it tends to rest on the dynamic of the husband and wife team, and that’s what makes it so interesting. 

That's a good point. Never thought of that before. 

I finished S1 of The Leftovers and really enjoyed it. The 2nd half of the season was pretty intense. Onto S2.

Has anyone seen Villeneuve’s more obscure films like Polytechnique or Maelstrom? I semi-recently watched Enemy and Incendies and loved both of them. I know close to nothing about Dune but Denis being involved has me very intrigued. 

5 hours ago, The Worm's Hole said:

I'm one of those weird people who never really got into the original Blade Runner. Like I know it says shit about personhood and what it means to be human, and tears in rain and such, but idk, just never clicked with me. I dont even really like Phillip K. Dick that much. So it's entirely possible 2049 was just wasted on me.

Arrival was brilliant, but it's kind of a stressful movie to watch. I do really like Prisoners a lot.

The original Blade Runner is an overrated piece of trash and I have repeatedly shat on it over the years in this very forum. It's a hugely important film in the cannon, but the movie gets more love than it deserves quality wise. The only really memorable scene in the whole damn movie was pretty much invented by Rutger on the damn spot!

That being said, I loved Blade Runner 2049. It's a vastly more interesting film. I still remember some of the mixture between music and images. Just visual poetry throughout. It even made Jared Leto interesting... Can you imagine how great a film needs to be to pull that feat off?

I haven't seen much of Villeneuve, but he seems to be a hit or miss director. I loved Blade Runner 2049, but I despised Sicario as the boring, barely incoherent playing at crime film it was. So 50/50 for me!

4 hours ago, Vaughn said:

given stuff getting bumped into the fall, isn't there a good chance Dune gets bumped to next year though? Given the cost, potential and hope for a sequel, it's probably a trickier movie to roll out than some one off but without the franchise bump of something like a Bond or MCU flick. 

For some of the films meant to be coming out later in the year I wonder if many of them might be having their filming interrupted due to the virus? It could be less of a problem if they're in post-production, but even then there could be some disruption to their schedule.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

The original Blade Runner is an overrated piece of trash

Blade Runner is so good. But as they say, pearls before swine... ;)

Blade Runner 2049 is a very bloated film and one of its pillars (Leto's character) is distractingly awful. Is it beautiful? Yes. Is it too fucking long? Hell yes.

I never loved the original Blade Runner, like the sequel it’s a movie that looks amazing but never gripped me or made me remember the story. There are elements to it that are incredibly interesting, great ideas, beautiful moments and lines. 

But outside out that last speech in the rain I felt nothing. That speech is brilliant though and made me want to go back and rewatch in case I’d not been watching properly. But I’ve rewatched it quite a few time’s now and still don’t love it.

So I think that the sequel was rather fitting.

Also, I hope someone stops Jared Leto, please stop it mate, stop doing anything.