Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

12 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The internet tells me that Death of Stalin is on Netflix now.   Saw this in the theater and have wanted to do a rewatch pretty badly.  Found it a bit disappointing (had very high expectations) and not that funny when I saw it the first time but wondered if it was just too subtle.

I enjoyed substantial parts of it, but Beria was so grotesque a figure that it became increasingly off-putting. His jolly rapist schtick was hard to stomach for me -- terrific performance, obviously, but the writing just laid it on too thickly for me.

19 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The internet tells me that Death of Stalin is on Netflix now.   Saw this in the theater and have wanted to do a rewatch pretty badly.  Found it a bit disappointing (had very high expectations) and not that funny when I saw it the first time but wondered if it was just too subtle.

No, it isn't as funny or clever as it thinks it is.  

Ozark s3 was great.

Spoiler

I am pleased Ruth is finally distancing herself from the Byrd's. In a series full of horrible people, Marty and Wendy may be the worst. What they did to Ben was a new low for them.

And Darlene is a badass. She takes what she wants. Wyatt knows.

46 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Yeah I never thought it was as good as it had the potential to be. With Iannucci behind it was very excited, but something about it didn’t click. It was never absurd enough to be funny,  not dark enough to work as a drama.

14 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Ozark s3 was great.

Hide contents

I am pleased Ruth is finally distancing herself from the Byrd's. In a series full of horrible people, Marty and Wendy may be the worst. What they did to Ben was a new low for them.

The Byrds are clearly terrible people but the show does a really good job of making us sympathise at least a little with the choices they are forced to make

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Death of Stalin? Really?

Yeah, I admit, "not dark enough" is not how I'd put it! If one said it's too funny to be a drama, but not funny enough to be a good black comedy, I guess I could see that... I think it is an exceptionally black comedy, but it's dealing with a subject matter so disturbing and often times grotesque that it's too hard for me to watch (100% has to do with Beria, specifically, though; what a monster!).

This was one where Iannuci swung for the fences and I think he came up a bit short despite a stellar cast. It had a lot of funny bits, -- Michael Palin and the situation with his wife was hilarious -- but the disquieting moments were too acidic. Again, in my opinion. I should rewatch it sometime, see if it works better now that I'm prepared for the horrors of Beria.

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Death of Stalin? Really?

I mean it didn't work as a drama because it's not a drama, but it's pitch fucking dark unless you don't know what all the people disappearing and shit actually meant.

Dark probably wrong word. What I was trying to say was I didn’t find the drama all that compelling and the comedy, what there was, wasn’t all that funny. I’d probably have preferred it to either be fully serious or fully a comedy

7 hours ago, Morpheus said:

And because boredom makes fools of us all I took this “which tv/movie character are you” quiz https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/characters/

According to my top 25, I may be a huge asshole :blink:

Haha, holy shit that's a great list of terrible characters. And then River from Firefly who I don't remember being terrible but it's been a while. I guess April's not really bad either. 

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

Ozark s3 was great.

Hide contents

The Darlene/Wyatt thing bothered me a bit because I don't think they did it for character reasons at all. They needed some way to get Ruth in Darlene's orbit and that was apparently the best idea they had?  

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Are the Ozark couple the sort who run away from NYC and bring the virus with them to the safer place they've run to?

Yup. That's kinda even a good metaphor for the show. 

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The Byrds are clearly terrible people but the show does a really good job of making us sympathise at least a little with the choices they are forced to make

Yeah, I've caught myself more than a few times justifying their actions. The constant cat and mouse is thrilling.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

The Darlene/Wyatt thing bothered me a bit because I don't think they did it for character reasons at all. They needed some way to get Ruth in Darlene's orbit and that was apparently the best idea they had?  

I agree with you there. Not the greatest writing.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yup. That's kinda even a good metaphor for the show.

Argh, no wonder I couldn't stand that show when it started and stopped watching very quickly.  I hate those people.  And I'm a NYer.  Also can't stand Laura Linney either.

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

You all are crazy, Laura Linney is great on Ozark. Julia Garner is the MVP for me though. 

She's great, in fact I like 90% of the cast of characters. But Laura's character is kind of off putting, she has a selfish streak. The cartel leader is a real dick as well.

3 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

She's great, in fact I like 90% of the cast of characters. But Laura's character is kind of off putting, she has a selfish streak. The cartel leader is a real dick as well.

Just because you don’t want to hang out with a character doesn’t mean they are a bad character. Laura is one of the better ones on the show and she is often completely awful as a human being 

I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Overall, I thought it was good although like a lot of Tarantino films the narrative is a bit rambling and some of the subplots are more interesting than others. I think Margot Robbie is good as Sharon Tate but she doesn't get much of a narrative. I don't know whether I'd necessarily have given Pitt an Oscar for his role, but he did put in the best performance and his first encounter with the Manson family was the tensest scene in the movie.

Really struggling to watch anything new atm. Our 'routine' as key workers means we are both going into work but on different patterns to normal. Plus, I do some work from home but my husband can't. It's all weird. We've preferred to play games and have the TV or a film (re-watch) on in the background. 

On this note, I noticed during FOTR that Gandalf has his staff taken by Saruman early in the film (and departs via eagle) but then he has it back when he's in Rivendell. How?

The simple purity of The Mandalorian is the highlight of our viewing week. 

Might do The Quiet Place later...

On 4/4/2020 at 6:49 AM, Relic said:

Watching Zerozerozero. Incredible work, really. Highly impressed. 

That's next on my list after I finish season four of Gomorrah, which I am finally getting around to.

36 minutes ago, Isis said:

Really struggling to watch anything new atm. Our 'routine' as key workers means we are both going into work but on different patterns to normal. Plus, I do some work from home but my husband can't. It's all weird. We've preferred to play games and have the TV or a film (re-watch) on in the background. 

On this note, I noticed during FOTR that Gandalf has his staff taken by Saruman early in the film (and departs via eagle) but then he has it back when he's in Rivendell. How?

The simple purity of The Mandalorian is the highlight of our viewing week. 

Might do The Quiet Place later...

Magic.

As one who has ceased to be "key," stay well. :grouphug:

Currently trying to find a way to watch Kung Fu without paying $2.99 per episode. Would prefer not to pirate it though. 

Archived