US Politics: Talking about the Elephant in the race.

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Biden is winning states he didn't even campaign in. What do you think about that? Manipulation by the DNC, or people like Biden better?

The most insidious manipulation the DNC perpetrates is allowing the voters to do their bidding.  Such a Machiavellian maneuver.

4 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Sanders crushing Biden in CA Latino vote.

Well, have Latinos replaced the AA community as the backbone of the Democratic vote now?

And the night is young, my dear, and California takes a couple of weeks to count the votes.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, have Latinos replaced the AA community as the backbone of the Democratic vote now?

And the night is young, my dear, and California takes a couple of weeks to count the votes.

They make up 30% of the California Democratic electorate, so they're pretty damn important, yeah.

Texas is about a tie now.

Is Biden corrupt? Biden is about as corrupt as all Democratic party politicians that accept large donor dollars. We live in the age of Trump though, where government is openly sold to Big Oil and other interests. I don't know which way things will go, but taking down Trump should be our main objective, still. 

And it shouldn't need repeating, but Trump used the government in corrupt and craven ways to attack Biden and his family. I really don't want to even defend Biden, as I'd prefer Sanders or Warren win, but it should be clear that the Trump bullshit is in fact bullshit.

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

They make up 30% of the California Democratic electorate, so they're pretty damn important, yeah.

And they're people, which makes them important. The way some people talk about race, pitting one race against the other as the most important, seems tone deaf.

So, things are about to get interesting.

The Democratic establishment took their best shot at Sanders and made a big dent, but Sanders is going to come out ahead in delegates, it looks like. 

If Sanders comes out ahead the next few days, I expect Warren to drop out, and Clinton to endorse Biden. And at that point, it's just a one-on-one. The Democratic establishment has to save Obama to soothe the losing side after the convention.

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

Texas is about a tie now.

Is Biden corrupt? Biden is about as corrupt as all Democratic party politicians that accept large donor dollars. We live in the age of Trump though, where government is openly sold to Big Oil and other interests. I don't know which way things will go, but taking down Trump should be our main objective, still. 

And it shouldn't need repeating, but Trump used the government in corrupt and craven ways to attack Biden and his family. I really don't want to even defend Biden, as I'd prefer Sanders or Warren win, but it should be clear that the Trump bullshit is in fact bullshit.

Don't you worry, in Trump's second and third terms, he'll become much more restrained and presidential.

7 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

More recently I have thought about taking my ball home with the level of vitriol spewed by you/moderate rage. It's cool, it's nothing personal against you! I just hope your candidate of choice gets crushed by the guy who actually gives a shit about people. If not, then yeah, voting for Biden, voting for Trump, nothing changes for people like me. I couldn't stomach supporting another eight years of moderate Republicanism that masquerades as a Dem. I mean, in that world, we can be sure our richest institutions are protected I suppose, just not the people who need help the most. To me this is an issue of morality and ethics, and it just so happens Bernie is the only one I see with those qualities. I think most lefties are over trying to get along with the angry center.

So Biden would appoint two or three more conservative SC judges? Biden would just go along with the things Trump rolled back, and keep us out of the things Trump pulled out of? Biden would keep suppressing science and education? Dude, I get that Biden's policies don't go far enough for you. I prefer Bernie's policies, and would have preferred Warren's too. But Biden is nothing like a Republican. I don't know what is going to happen, but it will be a real shame if the voters of the candidate that doesn't win stay home, write in the losing candidate, or do anything else that hands power back to this evil fuck who isn't even maintaining the status quo, but is rolling everything as far back as he can go. Things have gotten and are going to get a hell of a lot worse under Trump than any Dem candidate can do. Hopefully enough of us will all act responsibly whichever of our candidates wins. We can't afford to do otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

More recently I have thought about taking my ball home with the level of vitriol spewed by you/moderate rage. It's cool, it's nothing personal against you! I just hope your candidate of choice gets crushed by the guy who actually gives a shit about people. If not, then yeah, voting for Biden, voting for Trump, nothing changes for people like me. I couldn't stomach supporting another eight years of moderate Republicanism that masquerades as a Dem. I mean, in that world, we can be sure our richest institutions are protected I suppose, just not the people who need help the most. To me this is an issue of morality and ethics, and it just so happens Bernie is the only one I see with those qualities. I think most lefties are over trying to get along with the angry center.

Jesus man, your entitlement is showing. Maybe people like you won’t be greatly affected by another Trump term (maybe), but plenty of people not like you will be. The last three plus years have proven that. 

17 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Look, I’m the Canadian here. You guys are the ones who have attacked various candidates as being impossible to pick because they don’t have the support of the AA community.

I came back here for a moment because with 58% of the vote counted in Texas Biden has taken a 5,000 vote lead. Imagine if Bloomberg wasn’t there. Somehow I don’t think his votes would have gone to Sanders.

16 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

If not, then yeah, voting for Biden, voting for Trump, nothing changes for people like me. I couldn't stomach supporting another eight years of moderate Republicanism that masquerades as a Dem.

I'm sorry Simon but I need to call this out as well. In the words of your candidate that he's made one of his campaign slogans - fight for someone else as hard as you fight for yourself. Yeah, Biden is going to continue economic policies which favor the rich and hurt the ultra poor, the working poor and even the middle class.

He's not going to start winding back LGBTQ rights, I don't need to fear that he's going to start using his SS (CBP) to start rounding up my trans brothers and sisters in the US. That he's going to escalate campaigns of racial oppression. He's not going to seize upon selective response to natural disasters and viral pandemics to try kill off minorities he doesn't like. 

The bland status quo has a lot of problems, but it's a fuck of a lot better than the highway to open fascism and genocide.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Jesus man, your entitlement is showing. Maybe people like you won’t be greatly affected by another Trump term (maybe), but plenty of people not like you will be. The last three plus years have proven that. 

Haha, entitled through inordinate debt, low paying job, terrible healthcare. It's true, if this is entitled, I should really feel bad for people with it worse. I mean, it seems to me, your belief that a man with dementia is the way to beat such an evil fiend as Trump is a belief only someone entitled and in a safe position would risk. It's absolute madness that you think entitlement means voting for someone with your interests in mind as opposed to voting for...a problematic candidate that you believe can beat Trump. 

Sounds like Bloomberg may actually be dropping out.  That's usually what "re-evaluating" and clearing your schedule the next day means.  So happy I was wrong, lowered expectations work people!

2 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I'm sorry Simon but I need to call this out as well. In the words of your candidate that he's made one of his campaign slogans - fight for someone else as hard as you fight for yourself. Yeah, Biden is going to continue economic policies which favor the rich and hurt the ultra poor, the working poor and even the middle class.

He's not going to start winding back LGBTQ rights, I don't need to fear that he's going to start using his SS (CBP) to start rounding up my trans brothers and sisters in the US. That he's going to escalate campaigns of racial oppression. He's not going to seize upon selective response to natural disasters and viral pandemics to try kill off minorities he doesn't like. 

The bland status quo has a lot of problems, but it's a fuck of a lot better than the highway to open fascism and genocide.

Eh, I'm mostly just trolling the angry ones. They assumed I was talking about myself (I said Sanders supporters, I never said I would do it), so I played along. I'll stop though as I don't mean to stress others, and I'm tired but that doesn't mean I have to be a jerk. I have a few trans students who I overheard talking to some classmates about just this: please don't sit out the vote against Trump. I could never in good conscious do that to others to spite angry centrists/moderates.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sounds like Bloomberg may actually be dropping out.  That's usually what "re-evaluating" and clearing your schedule the next day means.  So happy I was wrong, lowered expectations work people!

It's weird, I feel like he's gone back and forth in the last hour on re-evaluating and assuring he won't quit. It may be just the order my news feed is populating. I hope he drops out. Honestly, I hope they all do except for Bernie and Biden. At this point, we need to see the two of them debate uninterrupted, no distractions. 

1 minute ago, Simon Steele said:

It's weird, I feel like he's gone back and forth in the last hour on re-evaluating and assuring he won't quit. It may be just the order my news feed is populating. I hope he drops out.

Yeah that's just my impression from the news feed and reading a few of the most recent articles.  Turned off cable news about 6 hours ago because I just can't anymore, dunno what they're saying.

9 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Haha, entitled through inordinate debt, low paying job, terrible healthcare. It's true, if this is entitled, I should really feel bad for people with it worse. I mean, it seems to me, your belief that a man with dementia is the way to beat such an evil fiend as Trump is a belief only someone entitled and in a safe position would risk. It's absolute madness that you think entitlement means voting for someone with your interests in mind as opposed to voting for...a problematic candidate that you believe can beat Trump. 

Spoken like a true bro who has no idea how much worse it really is for some people. There are people, quite a few people, whose very humanity is being denied by the Trump administration. But you go ahead and keep pretending there’s no difference between Trump and Biden, because hey, it’s not your life on the line. 

3 minutes ago, Muaddibs_Tapeworm said:

I sucked it up and vote for HRC in 2016, but I'm giving serious thought to just sitting it out if Biden takes the nomination. I wouldn't vote for a Republican, but the Democrats refuse to learn their lesson and this was just beyond the pale. Mayor Pete and Amy K. both dropping out on the eve of Super Tuesday, Elizabeth Warren, who I think we can all agree at this point has no path to the nomination staying in. The degree to which these people will just jump when the leash is tugged will never cease to disgust me.

Well, I guess enjoy reading headlines in the New York Times in 2027 about the Trump Royal family beating brown people with sticks and laughing about it, then posting it on Instagram for their followers.

Archived