Covid Your Mouth When You Sneeze (Corona Virus/Covid-19 # 2)

Mlle. Zabzie

Apparently there is now bi-partisan agreement for an ~$8 billion funding deal in the US.  Sounds like a lot of money (but isn't really).  It's more than the administration asked for though, so that's positive.

Now with link:  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/coronavirus-congressional-leaders-strike-nearly-7-8-billion-bipartisan-emergency-n1148171

27 minutes ago, sologdin said:

can we assume that the vendors who shall receive the funds are either the president's corporations or those who are mindlessly loyal thereto?

You know what they say about what happens when you "assume"* (so probably?).  

*The President makes an ass out of you and me.

25 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Nice thread title! I was toying with something but all I came with was To Test or not to Test, That is the Question!

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see the US is only reporting 154 cases, with 11 deaths. That's a damn high fatality rate, likely because of the nursing home cases, but still....

Useless data.  The denominator is WAAAAAYYYYY low.  The numerator is WAAAAYYY high.  Guessing it will setting back down to the just under 1% that seems to be the more realistic number (and it may be even lower than that because testing resources aren't going to be universally deployed).

4 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Apparently there is now bi-partisan agreement for an ~$8 billion funding deal in the US.  Sounds like a lot of money (but isn't really).  It's more than the administration asked for though, so that's positive.

Now with link:  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/coronavirus-congressional-leaders-strike-nearly-7-8-billion-bipartisan-emergency-n1148171

There's a decent chance this pays for itself too. It was just announced that the new Bond film is getting pushed back due to fears of poor showings. Sports teams are playing in empty stadiums. Concerts are getting postponed. I'm not sure what the total lost tax revenue would be from all of that, but it has to be some serious coin. And that's just from entertainment. 

Amazon employee in Seattle office tests positive for coronavirus

(And if you order in the next hour you can have it by Friday!)

This really is going to scare all those people who receive most of their education by watching The Simpsons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCVB0tOSVQ

So most people then...

Also, another case of The Simpsons coming pretty close to predicting the future, although it's really not that amazing, they've been on so long, it's the infinite monkey theorem in action. Not that the writers of the show are monkeys...not the first 10 seasons at least...

UK airline Flybe cites Coronavirus as a factor in its demise: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51746564

(Virgin also citing Covid as a problem for the industry)

While its financial problems were already apparent, a company insider told the BBC the impact of the coronavirus on the travel industry had "made a bad situation much worse".

Virgin said this week its chief executive will take a 20% pay cut for four months, and the airline is freezing recruitment and offering employees unpaid leave as the coronavirus saps demand for air travel. 

Bookings are 40% lower than a year ago, Virgin added. 

Anecdotally, the firm I work for is taking a lot of precautions. They have a whole policy in place for those in our Eastern offices and who are/have travelled recently. All employees have been asked to take their work Surface Pros home with them in case of the need to quarantine and/or in the event offices are closed, amd to ensure they are able to access the remote working apps and software from their home wifi. Boxes of sanitiser and anti-bac wipes arrived and were distributed around the office last friday.

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You cannot find hand sanitizer anywhere in Toronto, lol.

Hand sanitizer is alcohol. Rubbing alcohol will work just as well.

I went grocery shopping tonight; picked up a few extra things, nothing too overboard though. And yeah, panic shopping is definitely starting to happen here in Virginia. Most of the store was the same as always, but there was almost no hand sanitizer, wipes, toilet paper, bottled water, rice, or canned beans. 

Hand sanitiser, toilet paper, cans of tuna, cans of baked beans and tomato, and flour and bread mixes seemed to be what was taking a beating at the supermarket here outside of Sydney when I went a couple of days ago. I understand you can't get hand sanitiser now. There had been an official on the news saying it was quite sensible to stock up on some things. 

My husband dropped out at this huge building warehouse near us that supplies stuff all over NSW, and they had run out of the bulk supplies of toilet paper and hand sanitisers that they sell to building sites. But they also said as they obtain everything from China they will actually be seriously out of stock of building materials soon as they have heard their regular shipments are not coming.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Actually, washing your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds is far more effective

And with either - you also need to do it properly.
People often forget to wash their thumbs, the hollow of the palm of the hand, the finger webbing and under the nails.
So often, people just since their hands under running water - usually cold - which is enough for big stuff that's not actually all that unhygienic; but not to kill anything.

Equally, avoiding contact with higher risk surfaces is relatively easy - just use tissue/toilet paper between your hand and the door handle / toilet handle / tap / soap dispenser etc etc. Oh, and say hi to people with a wave (or spock), not a hand shake (or if you do, make sure you wash your hands again before touching your face)

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see the US is only reporting 154 cases, with 11 deaths. That's a damn high fatality rate, likely because of the nursing home cases, but still....

As you said, that all depends on who the cases are as case fatality differs markedly by age group & underlying medical conditions. That is not the best data there.

The United States confronts Ebola: suasion, political action and fragmentation - This is a fascinating paper I read from one of my former professors about the US public health infrastructure  ( Spoiler alert, it's not great!)

No hand sanitizer, sanitizing soap, canned food or non-perishable goods here either. I still don’t see people wearing masks though. Not that I have been out a lot lately. 

we do however have a very trendy and smart looking information website launched by the government to provide reliable info instead of the panic-mongering media coverage. That’s a nice idea but a bit late to the game. 

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Oh, and say hi to people with a wave (or spock), not a hand shake (or if you do, make sure you wash your hands again before touching your face)

There’s a guy at work I normally shake hands with, I thought it’d be awkward to suggest we stop so instead I asked if he’d seen Demolition Man ... now we do the non-connecting high-five wipe that they do in 2032.

Archived