Covid Your Mouth When You Sneeze (Corona Virus/Covid-19 # 2)

Mlle. Zabzie

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I really want to witness a toilet roll fight now. It might be the funniest thing I've seen all year on youtube. 

Things were pretty desperate in my regular supermarket when I popped in a couple of hours ago - bog roll and soaps well stocked, but extremely low on beer.

I can scoot my arse along the carpet like a dog with worms if there's no toilet paper, but what am I supposed to do with no beer?

5 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Things were pretty desperate in my regular supermarket when I popped in a couple of hours ago - bog roll and soaps well stocked, but extremely low on beer.

I can scoot my arse along the carpet like a dog with worms if there's no toilet paper, but what am I supposed to do with no beer?

I was genuinely wondering today what are the things I would stock pile if I were to ever do so, and toilet paper wasn't *that* high up the list!

Also, there *was* a toilet roll fight. This is not a drill.

Every supermarket i’ve called at the past two days the shelves were stripped bare of dried pasta, hand sanitiser, miscellaneous tinned items and, in one, eggs (the latter was a supplier issue so unrelated to the scare). Signs on some of the shelves in Tesco to the effect of five items per customer so everyone can get their essentials. 

Crazy.

Is anyone else in the U.S. getting nervous that the count in cases here is rising so slowly compared to other countries with outbreaks?

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Is anyone else in the U.S. getting nervous that the count in cases here is rising so slowly compared to other countries with outbreaks?

Somewhat. I know it’s highly unlikely for any one person to get it at this point, but I have multiple family members who are vulnerable if they do contract it. They don’t seem worried, despite my warnings to take even minors precautions  

They still have the, “it can never happen over here” mentality. 

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

Somewhat. I know it’s highly unlikely for any one person to get it at this point, but I have multiple family members who are vulnerable if they do contract it. They don’t seem worried, despite my warnings to take even minors precautions  

They still have the, “it can never happen over here” mentality. 

I'm more worried in the sense of perhaps the U.S. is still not testing as aggressively as they are in other countries.

Pence swears that a million test kits are rolling out, so it's likely you'll start to see numbers soar.

Who wants to start a pool? When does the US hit 5,000 cases? Today is the 7th. I'd say by the 17th.

I just watched the head of the CDC say things are still very low risk in the US except for a few pockets. You should feel no trepidation about going to Florida and enjoying the theme parks.

Maybe Trump could show some leadership and do that?

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Pence swears that a million test kits are rolling out, so it's likely you'll start to see numbers soar.

Who wants to start a pool? When does the US hit 5,000 cases? Today is the 7th. I'd say by the 17th.

I just watched the head of the CDC say things are still very low risk in the US except for a few pockets. You should feel no trepidation about going to Florida and enjoying the theme parks.

Maybe Trump could show some leadership and do that?

I’d be worried if we find out it’s been in Vegas for a couple weeks. 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:57 AM, Ran said:

I recall that 3.4% figure is from a particular set of data. The most comprehensive and trustworthy testing we've seen in any country in South Korea, where it's about 0.6%. Non-Hubei provinces in China are at about 0.7%. 

The low South Korean death rate reflects how aggressively they are testing large numbers of asymptomatic people, who have not even had time to get sick yet, much less die.  The case fatality rate (CFR) will rise as time goes on.   The recovery rate (so far) is also very low in South Korea.  The vast vast majority of the cases are still-active, early-stage, cases.

It's in DC now. 

Wonder if that'll finally get Trump to pay attention. He personally is now only about 2 connections away from getting potentially infected. Maybe only 1 actually; there's plenty of folks he might see every day, like Stephen Miller, that are regularly out among the general public in DC.

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Its actually quite distressing.  The administration seems to be taking an approach where they don't implement a proper proactive testing approach and hence never have a meaningful set of statistics.  That way, unless the epidemic becomes quite severe, they can always claim that it can't be proven that any uptick in respiratory illnesses was actually due to Corvid-19.   Even though we have Pence's claim that that millions of test kits will be available in the next week or so, we have not had any national policy about how these tests will be paid for, who will be targeted for the tests, ect...  As with so much about this pandemic, we have been almost wholly lacking in national leadership, leading to local and state authorities having to throw together usually reactive responses to situations in their jurisdictions without meaningful coordination or coherence.  While we may get lucky and this prove not as bad as it could be, in which case we will be treated to the spectacle of an idiotic president who has so far completely failed in his responsibilities in responding to a public health crisis beating his chest about how great he did, there is a strong probability that a significant number of people will become ill to some degree and that a lot of health compromised individuals will die.  We loose a lot of the same group every year to the Flu, and its hard to predict Corvid-19's toll will be greater than that. What is tragic is that, unlike with yearly flu, a great deal more could be done that is not to mitigate this diseases impact.  

Personally, I have an elderly mother with advanced stage Parkinson's who resides in a long term care facility and has had serious issues with respiratory infections in the recent past.   I'm frankly quite worried her. 

WSJ put it well - markets and “Main Street” are freaking out.  The government is pretending nothing much is going on. I had very little faith in this administration.  Apparently, however, I underestimated the depths of the incompetence.

5 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

WSJ put it well - markets and “Main Street” are freaking out.  The government is pretending nothing much is going on. I had very little faith in this administration.  Apparently, however, I underestimated the depths of the incompetence.

Malice, corruption and incompetence are a hell of a combo

9 hours ago, Fez said:

It's in DC now. 

Wonder if that'll finally get Trump to pay attention. He personally is now only about 2 connections away from getting potentially infected. Maybe only 1 actually; there's plenty of folks he might see every day, like Stephen Miller, that are regularly out among the general public in DC.

So, China found out Trump's real weakness if being old, extremely unhealthy and a germophobe and played a very long game?

2 hours ago, Loge said:

Italy has now put the north under quarantine. I wonder if that includes shutting down airports. Shouldn't that be the first thing? Haven't seen them mentioned in the press coverage. 

I assume they did. Their nationwide measures include shutting down movie theaters, sports venues and churches, and limiting restaurants and cafes until 6 pm, so I doubt they'd skip airports.

With millions of people in either quarantine or self-isolation, the few good investments right now would be Amazon, Netflix and video game publishers.

Archived